It's a big friday - New stadium / champ league draw

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:56 pm

PLANS for Liverpool FC's new stadium at Stanley Park will be discussed by councillors tomorrow. 

The city's planning committee is expected to give the £80m development the green light although the final decision will be made by the government.

The 150- page planning application shows how Stanley Park will be affected by construction of the 60,000-seat ground, and how the current stadium site will be transformed into a public plaza surrounded by apartments, offices, bars and restaurants, and a hotel.

The Hillsborough memorial is likely to be located somewhere in the park at Anfield Plaza, but city plan-ners are allowing the club and families to come to their own agreement on that.

Various items of public art will decorate the park - including a possible "walk-way of champions" with the club's legendary figures.

Anfield councillor Jeremy Chowings supports the move, but says the club must prove it can be a good neighbour.

He said: "This debate has split the Anfield community, but there's no doubt we all want the same things, more jobs and a better local environment.

"The concern is whether the new stadium is the key to that regeneration."

He added: "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the regeneration of north Liverpool."

Opponents of the move argue the councillors will be breaking their own rules if they allow construction to take place in Stanley Park, which opened more than 100 years ago.

Joe Kenny, chairman of Anfield Regeneration Action Committee, said: "This is the first park of its kind in the country where the local authority is prepared to give away a public space to a private company.

"It sets a precedent." Meanwhile the club, Anfield's biggest employer, says the current 45,000-capacity ground has inadequate facilities and is too small to host major games.

Councillors will visit the site of the proposed stadium at 8am tomorrow before heading for the town hall two hours later where they will make a decision.

This, along with the draw for the third qualifying round of the Champions League, makes tomorrow an extremely important day for Liverpool Football Club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:01 pm

what are the possible clubs we could be drawn against and when will the match be played
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:08 pm

I know that Man U, Real, Liverpool and Rangers are in the draw but I dunno who we possibily face ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:14 pm

i think its a 2 tier system but i dont know which tier we are in
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:39 am

It is a very important day, im more worried about the sadium plans than anything else, we really do need to move away, we need to move on and generate more money. Still dont agree with 60k should have been 65k+, is it true that we cannot build on it also?
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:02 am

Liverpool FC will no-doubt have linked this development to the regeneration agenda for the City Council. Liverpool CC also won the prestigious most improved Council award this Year at the Local Government Chronicle awards (LGC) and were commended on making bold decision against the norm to achieve maximum benefits for the city. I think the club will have agreed in private with Councillors a way forward. Knowing how local government works.. I supsect this will be debated and then given the nod... sounds like excitiong times ahead.

By the way r we not seeded in the qualifier so we avoid the big names ???  I think I read somewhere this was the case ???
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thecatsmeow » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:35 am

i read somewhere that Man URE  are seeded even though they have to pre qualify ???? ???? ???? ?????? is this true
thecatsmeow

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:35 am

go here for Champions league draw rules and seeds and unseeds.

ignore downlaod bit at bottom i ****** it.

champions league draw seedings.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by LFC #1 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:38 pm

we're seeded (was there ever any doubt?)
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion