Liverpool masters - Top class

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:25 pm

Did anyone here see the masters last night?

Legends of Liverpool's past rolled back the years with a vintage display to win the Sheffield Masters tournament when they beat Sheffield Wednesday 5-1 in the final.

A Liverpool supporters flag which portrayed the words 'Our destiny is written in our history' said it all and the Liverpool legends produced a masterclass footballing virtuoso display. Jan Molby was class. He can still pass a ball better than most of the current first team squad. Alan Kennedy, at the age of 49 was also superb.

The matches were played on the basis of having six players on the pitch at any time with unlimited substitutions allowing full utilisation of the 10 man squad.

Liverpool made a couple of changes to their original selected squad with John Wark coming in for Mark Wright and John Durnin, who scored goals for fun for the reserves in the mid 1980's, came in for Gary Gillespie. Defender Nicky Tanner made his debut in the Masters Series for Liverpool. At the age of 34 Mike Marsh was the youngest player in the Masters Tournament.

Can't see anyone beating us in the finals.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:45 pm

i only saw the 1-1 draw with sheff utd and we should get aldo, durnin and molby back in the first team- top class
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:43 pm

Jan Molby absolutely ran the show didn't he! his passing was a pleasure to watch and the 5th goal was brilliant when he ran at full pace from box to box and then when it was easier to score himself unselfishly set up Aldo!

John Durnin did well with 5 goals in 4 games aswell, pity he never got a real chance in the first team back in the late 80's

. . .whatever happened to Nicky Tanner's dodgy blonde mop? must have been a bottle blonde!?!?!  ???
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:49 pm

we need jan in the first team some player
fritzylfc

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:21 pm

ROBtheRED wrote:Jan Molby absolutely ran the show didn't he! his passing was a pleasure to watch and the 5th goal was brilliant when he ran at full pace from box to box and then when it was easier to score himself unselfishly set up Aldo!

Molby running at full pace  :laugh:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1083280474 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:49 pm

Jan Molby's a better player than half the current lfc midfield.
Alright he cant run, but his passing is still good.

The way Whelan passed the ball. and even mike marsh played, just shows what liverpool have been missing.

Molby running the length of the pitch made me giggle.
84-1083280474

Postby charwell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:58 am

The big fella still oozes class. He has always been my favourite player and I will never forget the way he bossed the midfield in the 1986 cup final, which is still my most enjoyable ever Liverpool game. John Barnes says Molby was the most skilful player he has ever played with. Praise indeed.
charwell

Postby kenco » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Class is permament.:)
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion