How much would you pay per goal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:04 am

All this speculation about which striker we may or may not buy got me thinking.....

How much would you actually pay per goal,

For example if we bought Owen for say 12mill and he scored 20 goals then we bought Forlan for 13 mill and he scored 20 goals would that be a good return?

That would be 40 goals for 25 million (625k per goal)

However if we splashed out 30mill for Eto, and he scored 30 goals it wouldn't be worth it.... or would it? (1mill per goal)

I know that player would have more than 1 year but this is a hypothetical question regarding NEXT season.
Last edited by Ian Rush's Right foot on Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:11 am

It depends on the quality of the goals. If it was crucial inspirational goals to win matches 1-0 like Drogba provides chelsea then it is worth far more than someone  who notches up a hat trick in the third round of the FA Cup!
heimdall

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:05 am

I Understand the importance of goals in specific games,

however from a set amount of money spent on a striker how many goals would you expect to get?

Look at Benni McCarthy Last season in comparison to Shevchenko.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnlennon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:26 am

heimdall wrote:It depends on the quality of the goals. If it was crucial inspirational goals to win matches 1-0 like Drogba provides chelsea then it is worth far more than someone  who notches up a hat trick in the third round of the FA Cup!

spot on mate
when you walk in the storm..............
johnlennon

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:30 pm

It's a bit of a narrow way of looking at things IMO. Ultimately goals are what a striker should be judged on but you also have to look at what else they bring to the team. Do they help the team play better football as they fit well into the system? do they create for others? and of course are they scoring enough goals?

For me Tevez is a player who would a lot to our side as he has a very well rounded game. He's a support striker though, i.e. he likes to drop deep and play in the hole, a little like Rooney does for Man U so I wouldn't expect more than 15 goals from him TBH but he'd create a lot more. The question is do we have the player do partner him? I think if Tevez were to be our major signing up front then we'd be reliant on goals from the likes of Garcia, Gerrard and Kewell to coem clsoe to winning the league.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:31 pm

£1.99 per goal
LFC2007

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:45 pm

Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:I Understand the importance of goals in specific games,

however from a set amount of money spent on a striker how many goals would you expect to get?

Look at Benni McCarthy Last season in comparison to Shevchenko.

Look at Reading's Kevin Doyle compared to McCarthy.

Money doesn't guarantee goals, but those who have cash do have more options, which in turn does tend to tilt the odds of coming up smelling of roses in your favour.

It's a tricky one - I'd be wary of forking out ridiculous sums for Eto'o, as he could come over and do a Shevchenko in the Prem. On the other hand, he's undisputed class, and on paper he'd be an absolutely barnstorming addition to the team.

At the moment we're linked with Bent, who has a phenomenal price tag attached after his least productive season in recent times. He does have a track record of scoring in the Prem though.

On the flipside, the board has been going absolutely bananas over Tevez, but he only scored 7 goals for West Ham. Is it goals we need, or a guy up front with more imagination that will bring more out of the rest of the team?

In other words, are we lacking a Beardsley or a Rush? I'd personally say both, and I suspect Rafa's idea is to bring in one of each.
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion