Would anyone be happy with signing raul? - Raul the reason for 3-4-3?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I think the key question is can an older player cope with the step up physically?

you could say the same for david villa though, despite the fact that he's only 24.

everyone keeps banging on about how he'd be a dream signing. yes he's a great player but he's a midget. he'd get eaten for breakfast in the premiership.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:19 pm

stmichael wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:I think the key question is can an older player cope with the step up physically?

you could say the same for david villa though, despite the fact that he's only 24.

everyone keeps banging on about how he'd be a dream signing. yes he's a great player but he's a midget. he'd get eaten for breakfast in the premiership.

Zola anyone? I'm not saying that Villa is like Zola in terms of ability but as far as size is concerned, I don't see the difference and he did well.

Stupid assumptions. If Luis Garcia can play in this league, than so can David Villa.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 pm

WIth this kind of statement I find quite surprising that the EPL teams don't manage to win the Champions league year in year out.

Is Luis Garcia big or what? Most of the midfielders of the premiership would like to have his goal numbers though.

Has Alonso pace, or what? One of the best midfielders in the premiership

What about Arteta? he's not taller than me. And when we look at a Welsh player Bellamy, well he's not the tallest of the world, is he?

A failure case like the one of Morientes seems enough to set a rule for every Spaniard, in the mean time we turn a blind eye on the succesful players.

It's amazing how fast this prejudices appear in some fan's opinions, both when talking about players and about Rafa -not in your case-, a bad game seems enough to say he doesn't grasp the English game.

The ENglish game is a marvellous one and it's name is football and it's well spread all over the world. There are differences in the leagues, subtle details, but each league keeps evolving, and football is not all that different. Some ideas should be starting to be reviewed, IMHO.

Every big club of the English league has a foreign coach but Manchester United. I think that means something.

If someone would have seen Villa playing more than 180 mins he cannot say a statement like the above.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Sabre Ferguson the Manu manager is Scottish well thats foreign in my book :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

As you wish, around here United Kingdom has always been seen as a whole. But if you want to be distinguished, it's ok with me. :)
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:46 pm

Predicting how a striker from another league will settle in the premiership is near impossible.

Plenty thought that Zola, and even Bergkamp to an extent were on the slide when they came to the premiership, but they have been 2 of the best players ever to play in England.  No one predicted Henry would be the phenomenon he's been.  Similarly nobody thought Shevchenko would be so ineffectual in the premiership.

With Raul it's impossible to say, if he can find the hunger then there's no doubt he has the talent.  But the bottom line is that the next striker we add to the squad, whether that be now, the end of the season or whenever, they have to have pace - Raul doesn't fit the bill.  Only Bellamy out of our current forwards has any pace worth talking about, and while pace isn't everything, in the modern game I believe you need at least one quick striker on the pitch.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill