Would anyone be happy with signing raul? - Raul the reason for 3-4-3?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby kop11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:42 pm

not for me! in the past about 6 years ago i may have been intrested!
but if liverpool are to buy another striker its got to be a big player who will score 20+ goals a season!
what we have never had since the depature of owen
kuyt may well be the awnser but we shall soon see, i love the guy

a young fast player would be the solution!
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm

dward wrote:I would not go for him. Too old, high wages, and I doubt he would be a success. He would probably be like Nando.

Nando is the exception to the rule. Just because he was a failure doesn't mean that every old foreign player will be failure.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Raul is a totally different type of player than morientes. Rauls game is played higher up the pitch on the shoulder of defenders. Madrid have played him in the wrong posistion completely over the past couple of years , as Sabre said earlier. He is not and never will be a player that plays in the hole behind a front 2. He is a goal poacher were he does his best work in the 18 yard box and playing of a big man like nando. I've absolutly no doubt he'd get goals for us , but i would question his desire and wether it would be worth paying his high wages for what he'd bring to the team, which we already have in Belamy and Fowler.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:23 pm

A.B. wrote:
dward wrote:I would not go for him. Too old, high wages, and I doubt he would be a success. He would probably be like Nando.

Nando is the exception to the rule. Just because he was a failure doesn't mean that every old foreign player will be failure.

I'm not saying every old foreign player that comes to England will be a failure. I'm saying I think a change to a tougher league wouldn't suit him.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Raul would get us goals. He is a class player but don't know if his heart would be in it here. How long has he been at Madrid and he has always said he would like to end his career at Real Madrid.

Can't see it, but never say never.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:17 pm

I don' think we need him. I'm pretty satisfied with our group of strikers at the moment and would not like to gamble on the likes of a Raul making the physical adjustment to the Prem and the mental adjustment to life away from Spain.

If we're in the market for another striker, we have to be willing to splash out on a class player who is entering the prime of their career (like, say, a David Villa or a Lucas Podolski).  A younger lad will have an easier time making the adjustment, I think.

All respect to Raul--who was truly world class--but he's not what we need to move forward.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bartzy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 pm

if he was at a cheap price then he would be a good signing, it wuild up the players morale a little, however, i think he will be a morientes type player and not be suited enough for the premiership
COME ON YOU REDS
bartzy

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 pm

cant see any point in even considering it, cant play in the CL so why bother, money would be better spent elsewhere.

we dont need a shevchenko
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby MASTER » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 am

Everyone, remember 2002 world cup. Raul was world class then, a long side Owen, Henry and Ronaldo the best in the world.

But since then he has been very poor and his goal per game rate has dropped badly so he would only come because of Rafa and the spanish contingent at LFC and for a massive payday as he only has 1 more year at Madrid and wont get that renewed.
MASTER

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:56 am

Fading abilty aside . I read that Raul was a bit of a primadonna . Don't think that would go down to well with Stevie G and Carra.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:10 pm

I dont think he's what we need  :no
66-1112520797

Postby crouchaldinho » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:17 pm

I dont think that we particularly need Raul either, but just wanted to say the guy is a class player, has been for donkeys and he's still only 29 (puhing 30 this year) - look at Larrson - he's still cutting it at 35, and i would consider them fairly similar players (both have intelligent movement, are good finishers,  who play off the shoulder of last defender).

I would say he's got a few years left in him, but, as someone else metioned in this thread, he's never made any bones about the fact he wants to finish his career at Madrid. So, on that basis, i wouldnt want him (but as i also said, we dont need him anyway)
crouchaldinho

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 pm

metalhead wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
bavlondon wrote:His ability is not in question a single bit. But at his age, his speed and stamina could be a problem and being able to adapt to the English style.

I think we learnt our lesson there with Morientes. As good as he was he just wasnt cut out for the Premiership. Im not saying that Raul wouldnt be either but at the same time id rather we concentrate on a youngish striker who can enjoy a long career rather than get someone who will be thinking of retiring in a few years.

The same goes for Ronaldo before anyone starts that thread. :D

Exactly. Young players can be moulded into suitable players for the premiership a lot easier than older players. Older players, especially foreign older players, have played a certain style of football for so long it is hard to adapt after years on conditioning at that level. Stepping up a level later in life is a difficult thing for a footballer to achieve. So many experienced foreigners have shown this.

it doesnt matter, you know bolton, have foregin players over 30's and they are fighting for the european place. so i dont think age matters

From what I've seen it seems that certain players who have played in leagues like Spain and Italy are the players that fair the worst in the English leagues. I think its all about what league they previously played in. If a player has played in a physical league for the best part of his career or is naturally a physical player then they tend to cope in the English leagues.

I think the key question is can an older player cope with the step up physically?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:29 pm

I didn't think we were looking for an over the hill overrated prima donna.

Raul ? I'd rather have the clap.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:32 pm

It'd be like getting Morientes all over again. I don't think he'd offer us anything that Fowler doesn't, and we'd be able to retain Robbie for a fraction of the wages that Raul would command.
ivor_the_injun

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill