Would anyone be happy with signing raul? - Raul the reason for 3-4-3?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby puroresu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Personally I feel Raul was a great player but those days are long gone.  His been a passenger at Real for at least 3 seasons and for me he just doesnt have it anymore. 

I think a younger option is someone like Saviola would be fantastic though.
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

I'll be honest with Raul, I give him stick because he's a Real Madrid player.

But he's a goal poacher, mainly. And he's been asked doing things he doesn't know to do well, like picking the ball far of the goal and making something. Plus, the team play of Madríd of last years has been bóllocks. BUt if you put him in a decent team -LFC- he'd be in the right position to score many goals. He wouldn't impress, but he'd score plenty of goals. He makes clever runs and he knows where to  be in the area.

I wouldn't mind him to come here at a reasonable price and reasonable wages, but Rafa denied that possibilty.

Saviola is different, he's not that a goal poacher, he's faster, but then I feel the attributes he has are well covered by other members of the current squad. I'm not complaining of the strikers we have atm, to be honest. I would only bring a new player if we had a very good chance to make a good deal.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpool009 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:40 pm

NAH Raul IS PASS HIS BEST AND HE WOULD OF BEEN A GOOD SIGNING IN THE PASSED

liverpool009

Postby PabloAimar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:59 pm

liverpool009 wrote:NAH Raul IS PASS HIS BEST AND HE WOULD OF BEEN A GOOD SIGNING IN THE PASSED

sparkling  ???
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby jkop » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm

I have'nt watched him play much, but i am happy enough with the strikers we have at the moment they're working hard enough.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:54 pm

In my opinion I can only see Raul being another Morientes - A great player in Spain but hasn't got the edge for England.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:06 pm

he'd be another waste of money. look at what happened when we signed morientes......he was a world class player but we signed him when he was past his best.
CarlosRocks

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:16 pm

What age is he?

Personally I reckon we should leave this on alone, I dont think he would hack it in England
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:20 pm

His ability is not in question a single bit. But at his age, his speed and stamina could be a problem and being able to adapt to the English style.

I think we learnt our lesson there with Morientes. As good as he was he just wasnt cut out for the Premiership. Im not saying that Raul wouldnt be either but at the same time id rather we concentrate on a youngish striker who can enjoy a long career rather than get someone who will be thinking of retiring in a few years.

The same goes for Ronaldo before anyone starts that thread. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:50 pm

bavlondon wrote:His ability is not in question a single bit. But at his age, his speed and stamina could be a problem and being able to adapt to the English style.

I think we learnt our lesson there with Morientes. As good as he was he just wasnt cut out for the Premiership. Im not saying that Raul wouldnt be either but at the same time id rather we concentrate on a youngish striker who can enjoy a long career rather than get someone who will be thinking of retiring in a few years.

Exactly. Young players can be moulded into suitable players for the premiership a lot easier than older players. Older players, especially foreign older players, have played a certain style of football for so long it is hard to adapt after years on conditioning at that level. Stepping up a level later in life is a difficult thing for a footballer to achieve. So many experienced foreigners have shown this.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Exactly. Young players can be moulded into suitable players for the premiership a lot easier than older players. Older players, especially foreign older players, have played a certain style of football for so long it is hard to adapt after years on conditioning at that level. Stepping up a level later in life is a difficult thing for a footballer to achieve. So many experienced foreigners have shown this.

I never bought the "not suited for the EPL game" arguement. BUt perhaps this approach is a fair one. Good point.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:58 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
bavlondon wrote:His ability is not in question a single bit. But at his age, his speed and stamina could be a problem and being able to adapt to the English style.

it doesnt matter, you know bolton, have foregin players over 30's and they are fighting for the european place. so i dont think age matters
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scouse_legend » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:In my opinion I can only see Raul being another Morientes - A great player in Spain but hasn't got the edge for England.

Thats what i think aswell mate he will just be another waste of money like morientes  :rasp  lol

Scouse_legend

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Sabre wrote:

I never bought the "not suited for the EPL game" arguement. BUt perhaps this approach is a fair one. Good point.

That argument can differ between players to be honest. But like South coastshanks said when a player has spent his entire career (or most of it) in one league to go into an equally demanding if not more demaning league can sometimes be asking too much.

IIf he were to perhaps go to Italy I think he could get a few years out of it there as the pace is not as fast as in Spain or England.

I think  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:32 pm

I would not go for him. Too old, high wages, and I doubt he would be a success. He would probably be like Nando.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill