Alan pardew sacked

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 83-1165837413 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:43 am

First team coach and former player Kevin Keen has been give the job of caretaker manager until they find a suitable replacement.

I would naturally assume Curbishley would be the first person West Ham would be after, but do you think there is a chance they could get David O leary in ??
83-1165837413

Postby red37 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:57 pm

lakes10 wrote:Curbishley will get the job. its sad that Alan pardew did not get time to turn it around, with all the goings on in the boardroom has **** it up for him, on top of that he had to try to fit tow players into the team they did not whant to even be there.

West Ham are a good football club and have good fans, i hope things get sorted for the fans.

i agree lakes..its a knee-jerk reaction for me. And one they may well go on to rue.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 am

I was a bit gutted for Pardew, he's quite a likeable manager and his teams play good football + i've always had a soft spot for West Ham. But then he is walking away with a £1 million payoff so i won't lose too much sleep. He'll land on his feet and i wouldn't be surprised to see him at Charlton come the transfer window.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_lass » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Has the infamous coup of the two Argentines have anything to do with it? ???
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 pm

nice article from the echo with Rafa talking to Bascombe about Pardew, pressure through investment and recent transfer rumours:

'Time is on our side' Dec 15 2006

Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

OF the 21 managers sacked this season, none deserve sympathy from Liverpool more than Alan Pardew.

A last minute goal by Steven Gerrard in Cardiff last May, widely acknowledged as the most spectacularly timed in FA Cup history, vividly highlighted the fine line between legendary status and unemployment.

It comes as no surprise Rafa Benitez feels compelled to offer his condolences to Pardew.

Not only did Benitez's side trigger Pardew's swift downfall, the impatience of new owners thirsty for success offers a clear warning to Liverpool as they prepare for a take over revolution of their own.

Fortunately, on the basis of last weekend's meeting at least, Benitez is confident Dubai International Capital won't be as impetuous as West Ham's Eggert Magnusson.

"It's a pity for Alan Pardew, because you never want to see managers sacked. You always need time to do your job," says Benitez.

"One minute of the FA Cup final has made a big difference to his job, his life, his family and everyone around him.

"Things seem to happen in life as well as football too quickly. In the past, maybe you had time to work at a club, but now when people invest a lot of money they want success immediately.

"It's still possible for young managers to be successful, but it's a lot harder.

"When I was a younger manager I was sacked in two different situations. They told me they were really happy with how I did my job, but said they needed a manager with more experience to get wins quickly. You have to believe in yourself and say you're good enough and show them the job you could have done for them some-where else.

"In Spain, they say you're not a manageruntil you've been sacked. Only then can you say you have experience as a manager.

"Young managers make mistakes, as do managers with experience. If the people in charge have confidence in you and understand the work you're doing, you will get more time."

Clearly, there's no prospect of DIC taking such a hastily tough line with Benitez.

While the West Ham takeover proceeded against the backdrop of a relegation struggle, Liverpool's prospective investors recognise the foundations are well established at Anfield.

Should an inflated transfer fund materialise, it's been suggested the expectations on Benitez to deliver could increase.

However, Benitez insists this is far more wel-come than the more prudent approach he feels he's had to take in recent seasons.

And he firmly disputes the idea there could be any more pressure on him in future than there already is.

"I know the people who want to own Liverpool understand what we're doing and what we've achieved over the last two years, so I don't believe it will be a similar approach here as at other clubs," says Benitez.

"They've already shown me they have confidence in the future. It's clear from the meeting we had they want to be part of the club for years and bring success. It will be a new situation, but when you're managing a top side you know you will always be under pressure.

"You learn to be calm and focus on doing what you believe is right. I've been asked if I will feel different pressure if new owners bring a lot of money to the club, but I remind people I worked at Real Madrid for 10 years.

"When you finish second at Real Madrid, it's nothing, so I know what it means to have to win and I always want to win.

"I don't need anyone telling me I have to win things for Liverpool. I know this and that's what I also want.

"I was convinced we could win before the discussions the club has had, and if there is more money, I will be even more convinced.

"Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United have had an advantage over us and now maybe this will change."

The swiftness of this change remains unclear.

Benitez says he hopes to recruit at least two senior players in January, regardless of whether the takeover proceeds as expected or not.

Naturally, the identity of those players is remaining in the manager's file.

It's an open secret Lucas Neill was a Liverpool target last summer and hasn't disappeared from the radar, although Benitez says he's not the only defender he's been monitoring.

"You can look for players to help the balance of the squad, but always it depends on the other clubs who may not want to sell in January," said Benitez.

"If we could get two more players in January, I think it would be enough for us. We did this last year with Robbie and Agger and it gives the squad a lift.

"We can't talk about particular players at this moment. It's true we are looking forplayers in a particular position, and Neill is an option we considered in the past. But if we need to think about someone else, we will do it. We are looking at different options, not just one.

"Maybe we will also be thinking about mid-field because of the problems we've had with Momo and Zenden. At this time we have only Xabi and Gerrard and some of the younger players, so it's an area we're thinking about."

Benitez may be on alert for midfield cover, but he's preparing to hand a major vote of confidence to youngster Danny Guthrie, who will be rewarded for his recent breakthrough with a deal taking him through to 2009.

"We will be talking about renewing the contract.

"We're happy with Guthrie because he has shown he has confidence and quality," explained Benitez.

And one player who definitely won't be leaving when the transfer window opens is Peter Crouch.

Benitez is not impressed with Newcastle's particularly public courting of his striker as they've made no approach to Liverpool.

"We are really happy with Peter and we're not interested in selling him." SHEER JOY: Steven Gerrard and Rafa Benitez celebrate the Reds' cup final victory over West Ham in May

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby bartzy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:24 pm

i reckon he was a good manager, good luck to curbs though
COME ON YOU REDS
bartzy

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion