Did we miss sissoko last night?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 am

Ace Ventura wrote:Doesn't anyone else think that Stevie played that far forward because thats what he has been used to the last few months ?
I think he could play in a midfield pairing in the centre no problem if he was instructed to be more aware of when he can push on, it would restrict his game but he could do it no problem.
Its just a case that he has been allowed the freedom to do as he pleases for a long time now, so he forgot the basics.....like positioning and protecting the back 4.
Just my take on it.

I think over the last year or so Steve's game has changed so much now. He no longer is the same box to box, more defensive midfielder that he was when he was younger.

He is now definitely more of an attacking midfielder more intent on going forward than helping out on the defensive side of things.

In my opinion (and i'm ready to get flamed here) he doesn't seem to have the same stamina anymore that he used to have a few years ago and he certainly doesn't have the same stamina as Momo (but then again no one does). :D

Play Stevie in the middle only against sh#t teams or with Momo in the side filling in the gaps behind him. Or get him to come back quicker after attacking moves that he's involved in break down.

Having said that even with Momo and Xabi in CM last night we would have struggled because they had the extra man in a 5 man midfield.

Finally Rafa was slow to sort out the LW as that is where most of the damage was done. JAR should have come on as left midfielder to shore up that side and prevent that Sabri from doing what he did.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:29 pm

I dont agree tbh mate, i think Gerrard's engine is just fine, one of the best around.
He has definately changed his game to a far more offensive one, and thats the reason why we struggled on Wednesday (obviously as Luis didnt track back as well)
Stevie has been given the freedom to go forward at will, and not worry about protecting the back four at all, and imo he just did what he has been doing for months, but playing centre midfield carries more responsibility. I personally wouldnt play him there unless the others (alonso,sissoko) are behind him, but i am certain that if either where injured and he was asked to be more disciplined with his forays forward, he would still come out and produce the goods no problem.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion