Pauleta breaks eusebio's record. - Leading portuguese goal scorer.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Pedro Pauleta scored two goals against Latvia last night which meant he went past the great Eusebio's record of 41 goals for Portugal.

Eusebio scored 41 goals in 64 games for Portugal between October 1961 and October 1973, while Pauleta has scored his 42 goals in 77 games since making his debut in August 1997.

Why did i post this? Well my grandmother is Portuguese, and her ancestors hail from the Azores, which is where Pauleta also comes from. He is the first and only player to ever play for Portugal from the islands, and his patented "spread arms" goal celebration is a tribute to the Azor, which is the national bird.

Congratualtions Pedro!

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
Last edited by LFC #1 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Not only is he scoring goals for Portugal but he's also doing it for PSG.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:17 pm

Can't score on the big day though.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby darwisigila » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:23 am

yes u right.........he will scored after several missed
darwisigila

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:07 am

darwisigila wrote:yes u right.........he will scored after several missed

Not really his finishing is top drawer.

But as JBG said he often goes missing in big matches/tournaments. He always looks world class in the qualifiers and then does very little in the big tournaments unfortunately (hat-trick againt Poland in WC 2002 excluded). Hopefully 2006 will be different.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:02 am

Pauleta scored a cracking winner tonight to put PSG into the French Cup final against Marseille. It was a truly world class finish. It took his tally of goals over hsi career in the French Cup to 27 in only 21 matches.

This season he has 20 goals in the league. He has scored over 20 in the last 3 out of 5 league seasons, and over 20 in all comeptitons in every season in France except 2004/2005.

He was leading goal-scorer in Euroepan Worl cup qulaifying as well, with 11 goals in 12 matches.

Pauleta's all round game isn't world class, but he is one of the best finsihers going around Europe (both with his head and feet) and has excellent first tocuh also.

It's a shame he's over 30, as I think he could've done well at Liverpool. If Houllier was going to buy a striker from France, it should have been Pauleta over Cisse.

Unfortunately he has never really fired on the big stage (except his hat-trick againt Poland in WC 2002), Hopefully 2006 will be his year as he is in great form for PSG and was banging them in WC qualifying.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:03 pm

hes always played up front more or less by himself for portugal but he is a good ayer. theres something about him tho, he could never quite cut it at the top and no one really knows why
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:44 am

dawson99 wrote:hes always played up front more or less by himself for portugal but he is a good ayer. theres something about him tho, he could never quite cut it at the top and no one really knows why

It might be mentality thing. He's always been the go to guy at Bordeaux and PSG, and Portugal to an extent too. He struggled at Deportivo, although he was only youngish at the time.

Maybe he's one of those 'big fish' type players, but tbh no one has ever taken a chance on him. He's been playing great football in France for 5 seasons plus, yet no-one from Spain, England or Italy ever took a chance on him, which is a shame IMO as he has the touch and finishing ability to score 15-20 goals a season in Europe's top leagues.

He'll still go down as a legend in Portugal though, especially in the Azores.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Too be honest he has never been that good, yes he has scored goals for Portugal when it doesn’t mean that much and yes he has scored goals in the poor French league, but he is a OK striker succeeding in a OK league, end of.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:53 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Too be honest he has never been that good, yes he has scored goals for Portugal when it doesn’t mean that much and yes he has scored goals in the poor French league, but he is a OK striker succeeding in a OK league, end of.

His finishing ability and first touch is a lot more than that of an ok striker. Trust me, on his day he can be pretty amazing. Let's face it we've had a lot worse over play for us in the last 10 years at Liverpool - Diouf, Heskey, Baros, Cisse, Meijer, Camara, Rosenthal

There aren't that many better finishers around tbh, he's defo a better finisher than all of our strikers, bar Robbie.

You have to more than an ok striker to score 20 goals plus every season in France. It's a good league, it's behind the big 3 and probably Germany, but it's still very competitive. Marseille won the European Cup a little over 10 years ago, Monaco were CL finalists in 2004, and Lyon is one of the top 10 sides in Europe.

He's not world class, but he's definitely a quality striker. I hope he can finally perform on the big stage come June.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:54 am

Pauleta scored winner against Angola tonight. 3 more goals till 50 for Portugal.

Forca Portugal, Forca Pauleta!

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:16 pm

I don't rate him. Never done it in a tournament before. Portugal are an excellent team but need a goalscorer  like Lineker at his peak for England
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion