Did we deserve it

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kunilson » Sun May 14, 2006 2:17 am

their 3 goals were lucky. we didn't boss the midfield like we usually do. we earned our goals and didn't lie down when things weren't going our way.they didn't attack especially well, neither did we......
they defended very well tho, and their midfielders did very well too....ours were not up to our usual standard, which is why the match was tighter than it should have been...but what u expect in a cup final?

and to say if harewood scored or whatever, well what if we didn't gift them 2 goals? it woulda been a completely different game....cos altho it was a boring 1st 20 minutes, we looked more dangerous and they didnt create much in the 1st half apart from their goals.....saying that neither did we for that matter, but we were in more dangerous positions than they were...
gerrard even had a shaky start from what i saw, giving the ball away and not bossing the midfield, but his 2 goals were at crucial times(2nd one was breath-taking)...and he is a "special" player. much like rooney for man u, terry for chelsea, henry for arsenal, ronaldinho for barca...etc. a one-man team is like shevchenko and ukraine, not like liverpool who have many players that can change games....even if it weren't this particular game!

it was what it was....a great cup final.

s'all good in retro-spect, but if we lost i wouldnt be happy :D
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Sun May 14, 2006 6:53 pm

West Ham had at least 4 doses of luck - all their goals and the disallowed Crouch goal. We had luck when Harewood missed with his left foot at the very end of extra time. West Ham played very well, but we did not. However, we did not have any luck about all 3 of our goals.

Our players worked hard despite generally playing below par and being behind West Ham for most of the game. The team spirit and never-say-die attitude despite having trouble really hurting West Ham shows that we are just as deserving to equalise from 2-3 down.

Did we deserve to win it? Hell, yeah!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 14, 2006 7:38 pm

azriahmad wrote:West Ham had at least 4 doses of luck - all their goals and the disallowed Crouch goal. We had luck when Harewood missed with his left foot at the very end of extra time. West Ham played very well, but we did not. However, we did not have any luck about all 3 of our goals.

Our players worked hard despite generally playing below par and being behind West Ham for most of the game. The team spirit and never-say-die attitude despite having trouble really hurting West Ham shows that we are just as deserving to equalise from 2-3 down.

Did we deserve to win it? Hell, yeah!

even the harewood miss in extra time, the original `header` that reina managed to fingertip onto the post was infact a rebound off a players back who was ducking down for some reason (think this was harewood too but not entirely sure) and the player who was sandwiched between two defenders wasnt even looking at the cross when it hit him.
if they would have got a goal from that it would have been the limit.....

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:01 pm

Even without taking yesterday's game into consideration, we deserved to win the cup because of the teams we had to beat to get there.  Seriously can anyone think of any team who has ever had a tougher road to the FA cup final than we've had this season?  After the Luton game we've had 5 Premiership teams, 2 of which being the teams who finished 1st and 2nd in the league.  I certainly can't remember any team having a more difficult run.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun May 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Deserve it? I damn well think so..... Has any team in recent history scored as many goals as us in the run up to and including the final to win it? Has any team come back from two goals down twice in a Cup run to win the Cup? Has there ever been a better Cup Final goal than SG's equalizer? Did we not boss the second half after a decidedly dodgy first half?
Yesterdays game was one of the all time classic FA Cup games, never mind Finals...... it was just a superb football experience, tho I'll admit its easier to watch today than Saturday. I said after two weex of bein CL winners last year that it still felt good to say it, I get the impression we'll still be sayin FA Cup holders long into next season with the same amount of pride.
Yes, defensively we had a nightmare, passes goin astray, poor given away goals, and a distinct look of 2nd best at times, but the end justified the means and the trophy's ours. Peiod. We'll play better and lose by a hatfull.
Thing is, we're gettin the old 93 minutes per game attitude that won us so much in the 70's and 80's, somethin thats been connected with the Liverpool name for years, but left us for a while in the 90's and early 2K's.
First manager to win major trophies in his first two seasons........ hail the Rafalution and long may it live.

YNWA
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun May 14, 2006 8:09 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb, that West Ham player was Reo-Coker.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 15, 2006 12:20 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:I bet their fans are utterly disconsolate, and they have my sympathy because their team did them proud today. They put on a real show, and they've helped bring the FA Cup kicking and screaming back to the forefront of world football.

It was the final that the FA needed after last year's effort between Manure & the Gooners.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 15, 2006 12:50 am

Of course we deserved it:

1) Three top drawer goals to come from behind twice
2) A master class in penalty taking and penalty saving
3) Not one moment of controversy regarding the validity of our goals or any part of the game that can be pointed to to suggest that we benefited from a dodgy decision

Sure, we made it interesting.  Sure, West Ham played out of their skin.  But the bottomline is that we worked very hard to earn that scoreline and to lift that trophy and so, yes, we deserved it...simple as!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion