Did we deserve it

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Best FA Cup final since 1989, IMO.

Thought we allowed them far too much space, constantly backing off instead of closing them down, and too many sloppy passes.

I honestly thought it was over.

But they showed their determination and Gerrard is a god.

Brilliant.
  :bowdown
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pur3 rav3r » Sat May 13, 2006 8:04 pm

i think we deserved it but that dont mean that i am taking anything away from westham they did play well.
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 pm

If Gerrard hadn't scored his late equaliser, we'd be in a situation where the disallowed Crouch goal was a massive talking point, and the game didn't deserve to be remembered for that.

For me, West Ham would have been worthy winners after 90 minutes. We took an age to get going in the first half, and they came out all guns blazing. The first 2 goals were gifts, but they had been coming, and although the flukey Konchesky goal was against the run of play, at that point West Ham had been the better team for more of the game.

The equaliser was definitely deserved however, and from that point on I knew it was our day.

I bet their fans are utterly disconsolate, and they have my sympathy because their team did them proud today. They put on a real show, and they've helped bring the FA Cup kicking and screaming back to the forefront of world football.

After penalties though, we'd done enough to be able to pick up old big ears knowing that we deserved it. Some really gutsy performances as injury and cramp set in, and I'm just glad I saw it. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby mramo » Sat May 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Did we deserve it?

not really.

This was not a great performance from Liverpool. This is a match that they should have controlled but they did not play like a unit in the first half. Alonso playing was a huge gamble by Benitez which didnt exactly pay off & i noticed he slipped a lot during the match & gave the ball away. Full credit to West Ham for doing ever so well & they should have finished us off.
Pepe Reina could count himself a lucky person for getting back into the good books with his fantastic last minute save, and his 3 penalty spot kick saves despite concdeding two goals from an awful thumble & also mis-reading Konchesky's cross-shot goal.

However..............

Did Steven Gerrard derseve it?

Gimme a Hell Yeahh!! He does what he does best. Demonstating excellent Leadership qualities, Determination & a backbone to the players on that pitch. He was the one man show who twice got Liverpool back onto neutral terms & scored in the penalty shootout. His influence kept the team spirits alive. His presence & involvement turn this game into one of the greatest FA Cup finals of all time.

Maybe the topic title should be rephrased to "Did Gerrard Deserve it?"
mramo

Postby brix » Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm

I want to say: yes, of course. But... :( Although we win, that mach was bad :(
But if you look at all season, we deserve :nod
Last edited by brix on Sat May 13, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brix

Postby GOAT » Sat May 13, 2006 9:10 pm

YES WE DID! What a match, why do they have to do this to us? lol i nearly had a heart attack! WE WON, WE WON, WE WON THE FA CUP AGAIN!! WOW WHAT A MATCH! Got to give some praise to the hammers though they were amazing, you will never beat the team that never say die though!
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Of course we deserved it! It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings and if you're gonna pack up your stuff before the whistle blows, it's your own fault. It was the same in Istanbul when Milan thought that we'd just sit back and take it after half time, but we showed them, like we showed the Hammers today. Shanks used to make the players do training games that lasted 120 minutes becuase he wanted them to be permanently fresh and take advantage of the tiring opposition. That didn't happen today because we were dead on our feet too, but the mentality was there and we fought until the death. We deserved it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Well here a bit about my day, what you dont know is that were i live is all full of west ham fans, i mean every other house has west ham flash out of the window, i poped up the shops this morning with my liverpool shirt on only to face the Whole town in west ham shitrs, no lie i was standing in line at the till and there was 5 west ham shirts in front of me and 6 behind me, , must say it was great fun and i had a bit of a laugh with them. got hom and sent my wife and daughter off to my mums (i did not whant to upset my daughter as she is only 1 and i might make her grys when i kick the tv).
4 mins before kick off i put you'll never walk alone on the stereo (at full blast with all the windows open)

Halfe time poped next door to see the , he is a gooner but hs mates are west ham and russian blue.
after full time i poped back and was told we were lucky...i told them that we had given the a 1-0 head start and they still could not win.
after ex-time i put the sopeaker next to the window and put you'll never walk alone on again.
after pens and after i had stopped running around the hopuse shouting out of all the windows i put you'll never walk alone on 6 times just to pee of the blokes over the road that were having a west ham fa cup party.

thn i drove off to pick my wife and daughter up.....with you'll never walk alone playing full blast in the car as i passed all the hoomes with west ham flag outside...must say some west ham fans gave me a clap as i did to them.

got to my mums only to find that my wife had upset my daughter by jumping up and down and running out into the garden shouting when we wone.
tonight i had to pop to the shops again, this time i was faced with loads of drunk west ham fans......all come over to shake my hand....i then poped home to change my boxer shorts.
Last edited by lakes10 on Sat May 13, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 pm

oh and forgot to say that all the time the game was on i was having a text war with my mate that was in west ham with his family having a fa cup party.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat May 13, 2006 9:38 pm

Anybody notice when Barry Davis was commenting on Reina reputaion previously in Spain he said he played for Valencia.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:41 pm

It was Motson mate, I did hear it and it wasn't the only mistake he made ths afternoon.

Motson's losing it if you ask me.  Shame as I loved listening to his stats as a kid.  Now he just seems a bit old.  One dog that's had his day maybe?
jonnymac1979

Postby tubby » Sat May 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Oops sorry yes Motson. Yes hes don that one a few occasions this season. I think he made one or 2 against Luton aswell.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat May 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Such a rollercoaster!

Gerrard was the legend he promised to be, what would we do without him?, Alonso wasn't 100% - you could tell, Kewell was disappointing - World Cup on his mind?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:55 pm

not going to deep on this but is it only me that finds it strang that in the last two big finals that we have been in , when we look out of it Kewell  gets hurt and comes off? ??? and then we end up at 3-3 and win on pens.......paranormal lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Sat May 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Kewell has got something psychological going on.  Before the game he was saying this would be his first final because he's gone off injured previously.  It's funny how it was his groin again.
???
My earliest memory.
2520years

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion