John gregory wants hungary post

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:25 pm

According to the Hungarian press, John Gregory is a potential candidate to be the new national coach of Hungary.

The former Portsmouth, Aston Villa and Derby County manager has been involved in a long interview process, according to Hungary's sports daily Nemzeti Sport.

In October 2005, Gregory went to Hungary to meet with football officials of the country.

"It was a very pleasant meeting," Gregory told Nemzeti Sport.

"It's not a secret that we talked about my future, the Hungarian football leaders wanted to know if I would fancy being coach of the national team or not, should the opportunity arise.

"I answered that it would be an honour for me to coach a team which has played football the way I have always admired.

"My father told me lots of things about the legendary 'Golden Team' and I watched the 6-3 match in London several times.

"It was enthralling how elegantly they played, I still know the line-up of the 'Golden Team' by heart.

"For me the best ever footballers are Ferenc Puskas and Diego Maradona."

Gregory went on to confirm he is now awaiting a decision from the Hungarian officials.

"We kept in touch since October but haven't had concrete talks about the position as coach, it was impossible due to the resignation of the president of the Football Federation.

"They said the earliest I'll know is February when the final decision can be made about the coach question."

Hungary face England in a friendly on May 30 in what is scheduled to be the opening of the new Wembley, and Gregory would love to be there with Hungary.

"I have a dream - on May 30, at the rebuilt and hopefully reopened Wembley, I'm sitting on the bench as the national coach of the Hungarian team."
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:52 am

Tell him to stand outside a cafe all day with no money then! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion