Euro qualifiers - england post mortem here

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:57 pm

England's problems (and in truth, it's a problem across Britain!) go further than Mclaren. This situation is caused by a culture that puts celebrity ahead of achievement and that surrounds it's kids in a world of fear thus ensuring there's no opportunity for them to play and be athletic.

England have dithered over an academy for years to their detriment whilst all but the very best English players happily accept the opportunity to sit on the bench (or worse) at top clubs and earn top money for doing nothing rather than play week in, week out for the lesser clubs. It's OK blaming the foreign players but it's up to English players to demand opportunity. If those don't come with the top 4 clubs then they need to look at playing regularly for smaller clubs or abroad.

Also, whilst the England players talk of a pride for playing for their country I don't think they mean it in a "This is my country" kind of sense, but rather in terms of playing for England brings a prestige which fits well with the Bentley's and bling that British footballers seem to crave.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:08 pm

the result last night wasn't too bad really. At least we get rid of McClaren.

Carson was cacking his pants, Bridges is sheit, Gerrard lost interest, Lampard is a fat fk'r, Crouch played ok but was wasting his time, Beckham actually did ok for 20minutes. as for the rest of 'em - not good enough to wear the shirt.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:10 pm

I think we need to stop with all this talk of "continental" football as well. I've heard a few people on the TV and radio today with the whole "let's get Maureen in and get him to instil a bit of continental quality into the side" nonsense.

Continental football is - essentially - football. All the Italians and the Spanish really do massively differently from England is manage to pass the ball without it going to an opponent. None of it has anything to do with tactics or formation, it's just passing the f*cking ball around and not looking terrified while they have it.

There wasn't any enormous trickery in Croatia's side last night, just players releasing the ball to a team-mate and finding space to receive it again. They made it look easy because it IS easy - it's the sport they've trained to play, and I just don't know how we've got to 2007 and found ourselves unable to put together a team that are familiar with that very simple concept.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:40 pm

fk England football team, fk euro 2008, fk the world cups, fk it all.

club football is where it's at for me. Liverpool FC. thats it.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:55 pm

The four boxes for the draw. One country each. Actually anything can happen, since dead groups to relatively easy groups.

Austria, Russia, Spain, Poland would be an easy one.

Holland, Italy, Spain, France is another possible group, it would be hell.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:57 pm

did lamps touch the ball in the 1st half?
bridges is the worst player  EVER to wear the shirt...

stevie collapsed 32nd half when barry left him and amps :censored: off forwards... absolute disgrace of a manager and the players were terrible barr swp and crouchy (disregarding heading)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:53 pm

Thank God its all finally over, Stevie and Crouch can have a nice holiday unless they go ahead with this Home Nations tournament that Talksport are trying to organise !

Home Nations Tournament

My biggest worry now is, how will it affect Stevies mental state for the game against Newcastle, would it be wise for Rafa to tell him to sit this one out or is it a case of " Right take it out on Newcastle now ". Crouch is the same although he probably wont get the choice and will be on the bench at best anyway
destro

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:02 pm

stevies got nothing to worry about. he had a good game compared to others.

im up for a home nations tourney next summer. would be good,a nd id back scotland all the way lol
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:I think we need to stop with all this talk of "continental" football as well. I've heard a few people on the TV and radio today with the whole "let's get Maureen in and get him to instil a bit of continental quality into the side" nonsense.

Continental football is - essentially - football. All the Italians and the Spanish really do massively differently from England is manage to pass the ball without it going to an opponent. None of it has anything to do with tactics or formation, it's just passing the f*cking ball around and not looking terrified while they have it.

There wasn't any enormous trickery in Croatia's side last night, just players releasing the ball to a team-mate and finding space to receive it again. They made it look easy because it IS easy - it's the sport they've trained to play, and I just don't know how we've got to 2007 and found ourselves unable to put together a team that are familiar with that very simple concept.

I agree.  People are saying formations are worng and all the rest of it but it doesnt matter what system u play if your players can not pass the ball to each other and make space.  Until the culture changes at grass roots the problem will always be there.
puroresu

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 am

The FA press conference showed clearly what part of the problem is.

12 doddering old men and suits deciding the fate of English football.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:01 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:The FA press conference showed clearly what part of the problem is.

12 doddering old men and suits deciding the fate of English football.

Another problem is the press. They drill into many peoples mind who would be good for the job, show them support at the beginning but one bad game and thats it, total bombardment of all abuse and ridiculous statements as to why they are ill chosen. Look at sven, before the world cup. The rag was shown on the news for setting up sven with a fake person who could get him into the premiership. Nice. Major competition coming up how can we show our support for our country? I KNOW ! we'll set him up and make him look like a muppet, if that doesnt spread confidence through the team and supporters nothing will ! The person who eventually takes the job will need to be a hell of a strong willed character to handle the cr.ap that comes with it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:30 am

Manhattan would like to make a proposal, before World Cup qualifying begins in Europe.

That Andorra, San Marino, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and the Faroe Islands should no longer participate in international football. Between them, they scored a grand total of ten points, which quite frankly is absurd.

I propose that they be given the same status as Monaco, and be reduced to club level, free to join a national league.

Andorra should join the Spanish or French League.
San Marino should join the Italian League.
Luxembourg should join the Belgian, French or German league.
Liechtenstein should join the Swiss or Austrian league.
Faroes should join the Danish league.
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:45 am

Wouldn't work, players from all of those states play for clubs already.
LFC2007

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:47 am

Once they transferred status, they could sign players from anywhere.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:53 am

If players from those national sides are registered to clubs already, and then their national teams decided to join domestic leagues in surrounding countries, they would effectively be playing for two clubs, which I'm sure would be against UEFA reg's.

I think a more sensible solution would be to give them their own little group, whoever tops it can go into the group stage along with the major European sides.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion