John peel's gravestone finally erected - Red to the end and a great fan

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Feb 12, 2008

After a three-year delay, John Peel's gravestone has been finally erected.

The memorial to the legendary Radio 1 DJ, who was buried at St Andrew's Church in the village of Great Finborough, has two inscriptions, the Liver Bird, emblem of Liverpool FC, who he was a supporter of, and the opening line of song 'Teenage Kicks', Teenage dreams, so hard to beat'.

Sheila Ravenscroft, Peel’s wife, said to BBC News: "We have put the words on the stone that he would've wanted. I wouldn't dare do anything else!"

Also, commenting on the delay: "I suppose that it was my fault really. I couldn’t face it to start with."
++

Nice touch, will speak to ze missus when I get home tonight, a liver bird would look great.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 am

He was a top guy.

I read his autobiography and he's had a pretty amazing life, (good and bad) well worth a read!

YNWA
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby PhiLFC » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:44 am

Great guy.. I grew up listening to John Peel at night back in the 70's as he was the only dj playing punk. Read his autobiog recently and was totally gutted when he died halfway through writing it... I found it to be a fascinating read until then - his sarcasm was just right.  A Liverbird?  Great choice and those words are spot on.

RIP John
PhiLFC

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion