6 matches ban for turkey - Decision of the diciplinary comittee

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:22 pm

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee met at FIFA headquarters in Zurich on Monday, 6 February and Tuesday, 7 February 2006 to discuss the incidents that occurred in connection with the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ preliminary competition match between Turkey and Switzerland in Istanbul on 16 November 2005.
Under the chairmanship of deputy chairman Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa (Bahrain), the committee, sitting as the body of first instance, passed the following decisions:

In the main proceedings against the Turkish Football Federation:

-  the Turkish Football Federation is ordered to play its next six official home matches behind closed doors in a neutral venue in another country affiliated to UEFA with a minimum distance of 500km to the Turkish border. The Turkish Football Federation is ordered to pay all organisational costs with regard to these six matches.
-  a fine in the amount of CHF 200,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 20,000).

In the individual proceedings against:

a) Alpay Ozalan (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 1,000)

b) Emre Belozoglu (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of six official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.

c) Serkan Balci (Turkey, player)
- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 5,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

d) Mehmet Ozdilek (Turkey, assistant coach)
- a ban from taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other activity), within associations, confederations or FIFA for 12 months as from notification of this decision.

e) Benjamin Huggel (Switzerland, player)
- a fine of CHF 15,000 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)

f) Stephan Meyer (Switzerland, physiotherapist)
- a suspension of two official matches of his representative team. This suspension is carried over to the representative team's next official matches.
- a fine of CHF 6,500 (+ procedural costs of CHF 500)
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 pm

That's a right harsh ban for the Turkish Assistant coach, what did he do?
inglis5

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 pm

I cant remember exactly, but he had probably kicked a Swiss player-or tripped up.

Individual punishments for the players(except Emre) are right but 6 matches ban is extremely heavy, i think..
Last edited by IstanBuL-FenerBaHce on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:53 am

Not that I say that's too harsh or not, but somehow I doubt that every nation will get the same punishment, in the past I've seen incredible things in some greek stadiums and nothing happened.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:57 am

Turkey have gotten away with it for years and you can't use the excuse that other countires have done worse etc.....

You find out so much more about a nation/club/player /manager/fans etc when they lose than you ever do when they win and Turkey have had this coming for years as they have emerged into a genuine force in world football.

Nice holiday destination , just don't play them at football :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Squigels » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:18 am

They have been asking for it for years but the Swiss got off lightly they threw the first kick.

Cause Uefa are packed with Swiss delegates i think that they have thrown the book at turkey the assistant coach got a massive ban.

Wouldn't have happaned if England or Ireland were the opposition instead of Switzerland.
Squigels

Postby Dalglish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:46 am

There has always been a disparity when it comes to punishment handed down from the footballing authorities but people can't use this as an excuse when punished.
Spain got away with blatant racist comments from their manager on the training pitch and chants on the terraces last year  with a derisory fine...... Becaue they got away with it does it make it wrong when others get punished approproiately ? ???

We all want equal treament and punishment but you can't use the excuse that because another country got away with it you ought to as welll....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:49 am

Seems a fair punishment to me and the mitigation that other countries have gotten  away with poor behavour doesnt wash me either.
Hopefully all countries will get treated the same when this sort of situation arises taking into account their previous records
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion