Pfa player of the year nominations - Well deserved stevie g

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:43 pm

congratulations to stevie g for being in the final six nominations for the pfa player of the year. well deserved. the level of performances the guy has produced have been nothing short of outstanding considering the dross around him. if it was down to me i would give him the award for that reason alone. here are the six candidates:

thierry henry- must be the favourite. absolutely world class. best striker on the planet in my opinion. has pace, power, skill, balance, and made our defence look like mugs the other week. 34 goals this season. the fact that he is playing in a superb side at the top of their form also helps obviously. he won it last year anyway- so it's someone elses turn.

patrick vieira- again world class and is the benchmark for stevie g to aspire to for both club and country. still surprising considering he missed 2 months with injury this season.

frank lampard- along with gerrard, the most improved midfielder in the league over the last twelve months. to be a regular given chelsea's squad is something in itself.

alan shearer- 27 goals this season at the age of 33 says it all. still the master. sven get him back for the summer please.

jay jay okocha- could watch the guy all day. first half of the season was absolutely outstanding but has tailed off recently for me.

steven gerrard- future england captain and inspiration to all around him. has literally carried the team this season since being given the captaincy. the fact he hasn't been booked this season shows how much he's improved. still england's key man in the summer.

all in all i think gerrard deserves it although henry will win it due to the normal pfa southern bias. good to see no manure players in there though! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:09 pm

I think that maybe this one will be won by Stevie G or Lampard.

The reson being this is down to the players and not the southern shandy supping toss pot reporters who vote for the Writers award.

The players will have seen the outstanding contribution this term of Lamps and Stevie G  and their improvement this year. Henry has been excellent the last few years.

I think p[ossibly Lampard may have the edge as Chelsea have done well whereas we have been awful this term.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gbo » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:17 pm

Surely its got to be Henry. I absolutely hate the Gooners (my girlfriends entire family are massive supporters so Friday was a s##t day) but he is awesome to watch.
Second Stevie G without a doubt and Frank Lampard third.  Jay-Jay Okocha is lucky to be in the top 6 after his performances since the Carling Cup Final.
Gbo

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:20 pm

It will almost certainly be between Gerrard, Lampard and Henry. Shearer has been consistent but not particularly outstanding, Okocha a little of a surprise choice and Vieira there on reputation. Lampard perhaps has been the most consistent, Gerrard the most improved and Henry the most impressive
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:11 pm

Its Henry's or Gerrard's. Henry is favorite to get but the commitee might give it to gerrard since henry has won enough.

The young player of the year might go to parker or terry.
I think 23 is to old for this award. It should be up 21.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:35 am

Henry is a genius and probably deserves it most but Gerrard has soared like an eagle when surrounded by budgies.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:36 am

Owzat wrote:It will almost certainly be between Gerrard, Lampard and Henry. Shearer has been consistent but not particularly outstanding, Okocha a little of a surprise choice and Vieira there on reputation. Lampard perhaps has been the most consistent, Gerrard the most improved and Henry the most impressive

I think Owzat's analysis is quite accurate.

Gerrard has made brilliant strides this season, especially when you compare his game this year to some of his below par displays at the end of 2002.

Lampard has also had a fantastic season, especially givent he competition for places at Chelsea.

However, I doubt if either of them comes close to Henry, who has been sensational.

People shouldn't forget Alan Shearer: his goalscoring record, given his age, is outstanding.

Its nice to see no Scum names in the list.....
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:29 am

I claimed on another site that a scum player would equal fix. A manc supporter went round the houses but would neither argue against it nor argue for it. He usually talks some sense but won't type Liverpool properly so he's just a slightly above average intelligence manc (from manchester!)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_rebel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:32 am

Has to be Henry, he is pure class.
red_rebel

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:38 am

It probably will be Henry, the accolades are unlikely to go to a Liverpool player given the relative success of each team this season. Lampard arguably deserves it for his consistency
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:46 am

I think Henry will get it because he has been the most exciting player to watch this season. If I was an Arsenal supporter I couldn't wait to get to the ground to see him play - he is a different class at the moment.
Having said that I must praise Alan Shearer for showing that true talent survives and the guy is a real professional in every way.
But my own personal preference is Stevie Gerrard - yes, I know it's bias but this boy has picked himself up from what could have been a big personal disaster last year and went on to captain Liverpool, captain England, and virtually carry the whole Liverpool team on his own shoulders right through the season.
Don't forget he has not had the support that Henry and Lampard have been given.
Henry will get the award and rightly so.
But this year will be rembered as the year Stevie G stepped out of the shadows and showed the football world how good he really is.
Keep it going son.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion