Fifa club world championship - Starting to wonder whether its worth it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bandeirante_SPFC » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 am

Sabre wrote:
Apart from the "Brazilian big stars", such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Kaká etc there are the good players who are not famous worldwide.

I agree and I respect that. TO name a few, current Santos centre back Luiz Alberto is a decent player, Savio (hey this would be a good winger for Liverpool), Edú or even the youngster Quirinho are good. It's true it's not all about Bebetos and Romarios.

The original comment of zero quality was posted by someone else, and that's the one I commented.

Anyway my point is that you guys overrate yourselves a lot. It's true you're the most skillful (we say technic) players in the world. But skill only doesn't make a good footballer nor a team, that's my point.

Spain, as a squad, is half way of english discipline and Brazil quality. If we haven't won anything important in the last decades, it's not because we lack quality, Joaquin is class, Alonso is class, but there are more concepts than class. I'm so happy for instace Alonso is learning there. I'm so happy every time Carra waves his arms and thwaps him. Positioning, how to press, how to defend are football too, and in England there's plenty of that football. To think that in the EPL the ball is always on the air, is no more than a latin stereotype.

My respects to Sao Paulo, needless to say.

Sabre

I did the commentary. But I didn't say quality I say hability.

The England have very good players as Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, and others... but the caracteristic of these players turns not around the capability to make a brilliant goal or anything like that. Diferent of Ronaldinho Gaucho, Robinho, Juninho Pernambucano and others brazilians players the english force is in the team work.

Another point. The brazilians players go to Europe not because the level of europeans players, but only because money. Just because of that.

I true respect Liverpool but I still think that Liverpool has no chance against us. If Liverpool send the main team it will be 2-0 or may be 2-1. Now if Liverpool send your youngters.... it will be the final destruction...

About the brazilians players...
... our "production" of players is too great that only part of our players go to play in Europe (of course the best ones). Another part go for Japan and other part stay here.

The Internation Federation for Football History and Statistic elected Brazilian league in 2004 as third best of the world.

Pay a look: http://www.iffhs.de/main/ranking/weltligatop50/?sprache=englisch

Best regards!

Victor Carvalho
DENTRE OS GRANDES ÉS O PRIMEIRO!!! AMO-TE TRICOLOR!!!
Bandeirante_SPFC

Postby A.B. » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:43 am

I true respect Liverpool but I still think that Liverpool has no chance against us. If Liverpool send the main team it will be 2-0 or may be 2-1. Now if Liverpool send your youngters.... it will be the final destruction...

No chance? People said that when we faced Juventus,Chelsea and AC Milan. Ask their fans who won the matches between us and them.

I realize that Sao Paulo are a good club in South America and that they have good players but no team is unbeatable, and SP isn't anything we haven't faced before. I couldn't give a feck if they were Brazilian or not. Football is a team game, 11 vs 11.

If we take it seriously than we have a chance of winning, if we're not up for it then we won't take it as seriously.

This competition is A WASTE OF OUR TIME. Our domestic league is much more important, our players have enough games to play this season as it is.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby AwiLas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:56 am

Let's play it and win.. Nothing else matters anyway..
AwiLas

Postby greenred » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:01 am

Red black white wrote:
Man Ure won the Inter Continental cup in the 1999/2000.I dont think even their most die-hard fan would claim that mickey mouse trophy made them World champions.The only official World Champions have been Corinthians of Brazil in that same 1999/2000 season.

OMG!  :angry: That "World Clubs Championship" was fake! Corinthians won the Brazilian league and played this "World Champ.". RIDICULOUS! They should have won the Libertadores Cup 1999 to join this. Palmeiras won the Libertadores Cup 1999 and was not invited while Vasco which won the Libertadores Cup 1998 was invited.

As you can see, no right rules were adopeted. Corinthians fans keep on saying they are the "World Champions" and we keep on saying they are a regional club (never won something outside of Brazil).

In the World Club Championship 2005, only CONTINENTAL WINNERS were invited. Much better this way.

A

Liverpool won nothing yet managed to win last years European Cup.Do you think our trophy was worthless. ??? Corinthians were the first and only World Club Champions and i believe Liverpool Football Club have the capability to be the second.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 am

If Liverpool send the main team it will be 2-0 or may be 2-1. Now if Liverpool send your youngters.... it will be the final destruction...

You are a Chelsea fan and I claim my five pounds!!!

:D

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:20 pm

it seems to be the most important game of the season for Sao Paulo when you listen to the two brazilian blokes
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:56 pm

drummerphil wrote:it seems to be the most important game of the season for Sao Paulo when you listen to the two brazilian blokes

It is.They treat these events a lot more seriously than European teams.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red black white » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:55 pm

greenred wrote:
Red black white wrote:
Man Ure won the Inter Continental cup in the 1999/2000.I dont think even their most die-hard fan would claim that mickey mouse trophy made them World champions.The only official World Champions have been Corinthians of Brazil in that same 1999/2000 season.

OMG!  :angry: That "World Clubs Championship" was fake! Corinthians won the Brazilian league and played this "World Champ.". RIDICULOUS! They should have won the Libertadores Cup 1999 to join this. Palmeiras won the Libertadores Cup 1999 and was not invited while Vasco which won the Libertadores Cup 1998 was invited.

As you can see, no right rules were adopeted. Corinthians fans keep on saying they are the "World Champions" and we keep on saying they are a regional club (never won something outside of Brazil).

In the World Club Championship 2005, only CONTINENTAL WINNERS were invited. Much better this way.

A

Liverpool won nothing yet managed to win last years European Cup.Do you think our trophy was worthless. ??? Corinthians were the first and only World Club Champions and i believe Liverpool Football Club have the capability to be the second.

However it was clear the "rules" to join the Champion's League 2004/2005. Liverpool has its merits because the rules were defined previously.

In the FAKE World Club Championship 2000, there were no rules defined and they simply "selected" some teams and "curiously" forgot the teams which should have participated indeed (like Palmeiras).

So it was FAKE and it will always be FAKE!

São Paulo FC in 1992 and 1993 won by its own merits the right to participate in Libertadores Cup and also WON it. Then, beat the European Champion (Barcelona and Milan). I guess there are many more reasons for us to be proud and consider ourselves true World Champions (Milan's coach said at that time: "We lost for the best team in the world").

Yes, you're right greenred. And it's not only São Paulo FC which do, but Saprissa (team from Central America) and the Australians (Sydney FC) also think this way. Check out on their websites.

I don't really know about the Asians and the Afriacanians, but I guess they also treat this event seriously.

"They're big, they're strong", goes the São Paulo club anthem, and the words never seemed more appropriate[...]"FIFA.com
Red black white

Postby drummerphil » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:21 pm

dont think anyones really bothered mate
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bandeirante_SPFC » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:06 am

Well... no one here... I say South America... consider the World Championship of 2000 as the true one. If you ask for a Argentinean or other who was the world champion in 2000 everyone will say BOCA JUNIORS. If you ask in Italy or Spain they will tell you BOCA JUNIORS. The intercontinental cup have 44 years of existence.

You are a Chelsea fan and I claim my five pounds!!!

Sabre

Chelsea ?!?!?!? Come on... I'm a Sao Paulo supporter... even why Corinthians and Chelsea have the same kind of investment. Russian money (money of drugs) and I hate Corinthians...

Yes, you're right. We treat football very seriously here, and for all we South Americans this Championship is the "one".

:bowdown SÃO PAULO!!!  :bowdown

Best regards folks!
DENTRE OS GRANDES ÉS O PRIMEIRO!!! AMO-TE TRICOLOR!!!
Bandeirante_SPFC

Postby neil » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:13 am

Sabre wrote:You are a Chelsea fan and I claim my five pounds!!!

Sabre

your a native spanish guy and yet fully aware of late 20th century Viz comics. how cosmoplitan is that?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:22 am

Ah, there's a funny brit forum about an old computer, the Speccy, in which they talk about nearly anything, and you must be aware of some folklore things like that and must have seen lots of MOnty Python to actually understand some of the jokes there.

They use that so many times, it's included in their Folklore FAQ

and I claim my five pounds. abbv. AICMFP

Usually used when some (highly erroneous usually) revelation is stated in the post, e.g. "You are Clive Sinclair and I claim my five pounds.". The five pounds is interchangeable with other monetary sums, including 75p and a packet of Rolos. Apparently first coined in a Daily Mirror newspaper competition in the 50s or 60s, or something.

That's why. I've been a regular and lurker there for many years, I thought it was used by common brit people aswell!

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:43 pm

6 league wins and 6 clean sheets on the trot and I come back to my original point. Is the Fifa Club World Championship worth risking our league form for??

Factors against us:

- Bigtime JetLag
- Fatigue, mainly due to adapting to the climate. (Remember WC2002...??)
- Extra fixture to an already hectic month, not to mention possible injuries that could be picked up

I just hope Rafa plays this one cleverly. Hopefully resting the likes of Gerrard, Carragher and Alonso unless needed. If this buggers up our league form there'll be more than a few unhappy faces :angry:

Other than that I hope we still win...but not at a cost
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:31 pm

I'm probably last to, but I've just found out that LFC's first game is on BBC2, 10:20am k.o., Thursday 15th December.

The final and 3rd place play-off start at 10:20am on Sunday 18th, BBC2.

Looks like I'll be booking half a day leave.

:cool:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby azriahmad » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:41 am

Whatever FIFA say, it's still a mickey mouse tournament and while not trying to knock the achievements of South American clubs in the past matches, the European counterpart actually treated this match as nothing more than exhibition match with a trophy being won by the winners at the end.

It won't mean much, unlike being the champion of Europe and/or domestic league champion.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion