Fifa club world championship - Starting to wonder whether its worth it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 pm

Before the season started I was looking forward to the FCWC.

The Sunderland game on the 17th will be postponed due to our travels to the east, which means going into the new year we're going to be 3 games behind most of the other teams. Not to mention the added fatigue the squad is going to have through travel, jet lag and playing in a horrible climate.

I can't see how this tournament will benefit the team in any way??

Lets be honest its a Mickey Mouse cup with crap teams, winning the cup has no future benefits for the team. We'll get a little bit of prize money and Stevie G will get a Toyota Yaris for being Man of the match (which i'm sure he'll be thrilled about :suspect: ).

All in all i think this cup will have much more of a negative effect then anything else.

IMO Piss FIFA off and drop out for the sake of the team
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:06 pm

Take the under 23's and 19's over instead. Give the reserves a go, leave the first team to plot and stay well rested.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:15 pm

el_stinger wrote:Take the under 23's and 19's over instead. Give the reserves a go, leave the first team to plot and stay well rested.

Probably be the best idea for the squad but knowing the bollox FIFA comes out with they'd probably punish us for fielding a weakened side instead of doing their proper job and sortin out the stupid off side rule that they have managed to completely f*ck up.   :veryangry

At least if we win we can say we are the champions of the world and nobody can argue  :D
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:21 pm

At what expense though.

Yeah we're champions of the world...but that the case by default when european football is the pedigre that everyone judges club football on.

I have a bad feeling about his trip. December is a tough month fixture wise, 7 games in all. We are sacrificing one game for 2 games, which will bring us to 8 games for the month which is stupid. For once rafas rotation system will be welcomed!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:27 pm

I want the team to play in it and to win.

The travel is a bit of a worry but i am looking forward to it now.
We should be able to field a pretty weak side in the first game and then there will only be the final.
We could do without the travel in December but it would be great to be European and World Club Champions.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:30 pm

Can you imagine Maureen's comments, and Everton Fans misery, if we did win it!!!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:31 pm

I would want us to play it and win it too,anything that raises the profile of the club has to be good,on the otherhand though it will interesting to see who plays out there and who is rested.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:35 pm

drummerphil wrote:I would want us to play it and win it too,anything that raises the profile of the club has to be good,on the otherhand though it will interesting to see who plays out there and who is rested.

Agreed Phil - look at the amount of interest, and subsequent mechandise sold, as a result of Istanbul.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:50 pm

I will cheer on the team as I normally would. Why could n't they of waited until January/February though, fixture congestion isn't a major factor then? Poor planning IMO. I'm just hoping the extra games don't have a bad impact on the season
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:51 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I will cheer on the team as I normally would. Why could n't they of waited until January/February though, fixture congestion isn't a major factor then? Poor planning IMO. I'm just hoping the extra games don't have a bad impact on the season

Or had it in July!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:28 pm

July coming, maybe.

Not last July though. Half the team hadn't even qualified then, i think we're still waiting for 1 or 2 of them
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:01 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:The Sunderland game on the 17th will be postponed due to our travels to the east, which means going into the new year we're going to be 3 games behind most of the other teams.

Not true. We playing Sunderland in the Stadium of Light on the 30th of November. Not quite the postponement is it?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:14 pm

the leagues gone and so's 2nd place(to wigan) but maybe we'll get 3rd place but shud get 4th place so this shouldnt hamper us in anyway....we only play two games out there one of which will be againt a weak team and then the final could be againt a tough team but we shud win this tournament and reap the rewards.Rafa's one of the best managers so he knows when to rest players and who to play in what games and the players should be able to handle it...this will also make us known worldwide if we're not already.....i can only see good coming from this tournament
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:14 pm

I meant the 17th of december, the game has obviously been rearranged
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:17 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I meant the 17th of december, the game has obviously been rearranged

Yea and in the first post you said "postponed". Its a different thing.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion