Fifa club world championship

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:21 am

Liverpool will play either Sydney FC or Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa in December's Fifa Club World Championship following Saturday's draw in Tokyo.
The European champions have been seeded along with defending champions Sao Paulo and join at the semi-final stage.

Oceania representatives Sydney would relish a meeting with the Anfield club.

"Australia is still a colony in a lot of ways so playing against the motherland will be like the Ashes," said Sydney boss Andy Harper.

"We are under no illusions. It will be difficult to get to the semi-finals. But Liverpool are a massive club and we would love a crack at them."

Sydney are coached by former Germany international Pierre Littbarski and earlier this year signed former Manchester United forward Dwight Yorke.

South American champions Sao Paulo do not know the identity of their first opponents, but the Brazilian outfit won the old World Club Cup - between the champions of South America and Europe - in 1992 and 1993.

Liverpool were beaten 3-0 by Flamengo in 1981 and 1-0 by Independiente in 1984.

The winners of the new tournament - set to take place in Japan from 11-18 December - will win £2.5m in prize money.

(2.5m.....is it really worth the hassle? our players will be in a exhausted state by this time. so my question is do we put our best team and try and win the competition? or do we put out a weak team, lose, then concentrate on the premier league?)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:27 am

2.5 mil may not seem alot but don't forget this competition is covered across the world since it is a worldwide competition so we will get some money from the tv companys. Plus if we can win it it is another trophy to add to the cabnet.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:28 am

lets win it ! did forest win the old thing? did anyone from this country ?

I think Zico took us apart when we played Flamengo,he was boss:p
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:36 am

By the time this happens, the CL group stages will be over and, if all goes to plan, we'll be through, so that's a good whack of cash in the bank. This would be an excellent addition. But, when Man Ure did this, didn't they ditch the League Cup? I wouldn't mind doing that. The LC only pays about £1.5m overall + gates(which is probably quite a lot) and who knows, we might do another Djimi. Not only would a cool £2.5m come in very handy, but our global reputation will rise significantly, which means revenues from merchandising go up, interest increases, investers fork out more, stocks rise, we can afford and tempt better players, finally put to bed the rumours of ground sharing with the scum, win the FA cup, the CL, the EPL, have Stevie named world footballer of the year for 3 years running, Carra gets PFA award 4 years running, we revive the greatest footballing dynasty ever and we watch Man Ure, Everscum and Chels$ki all get relegated... all from playing just a couple of games. Is it worth it? Not half.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:36 am

neil wrote:lets win it ! did forest win the old thing? did anyone from this country ?

I think Zico took us apart when we played Flamengo,he was boss:p

Im just doing a bit of research and it says the first one was in 2000  ???

here's the link
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrTNT » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:53 am

Its worth it just to increase Liverpool's global recognition. :buttrock
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:37 pm

Not a disaster really. We should have a pretty large squad when the season starts. Think about it, we almost have about 2 backups for each position, provided Rafa does not embark on a huge clear-out.

Reina
                 (Dudek)
                 Carson
                 (Luzi)

Finnan     Carragher  Hyypia       Riise
Josemi     Traore      [Andrade]   Warnock
Barragan  [Hobbs]    Whitbread   Traore
(Medjani)                                Carragher

Garcia     Gerrard    Alonso   Zenden
   [Figo]      Hamann  Sissoko   (Kewell)
   Potter      Zenden  Garcia     Riise
   Le Tallec                           Gonzalez

Cisse      Morientes
                 (Baros)   Crouch
                 (Mellor)   FSP
                 Le Tallec Gonzalez
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:37 pm

Jst go through with it and if we win the best team in the world.Plus your gettin money not that much but tv company and another trophy for the cabinet.
joependo

Postby joependo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:39 pm

Miltia Luzi has been released
joependo

Postby red marauder » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:50 pm

joependo wrote:Miltia Luzi has been released

I did'n't know he had been arrested :laugh[/quote]
RED MARAUDER
red marauder

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:52 pm

We do need to concentrate on the prem, but this will be good we'll get more than 2.5mill from it, we can't drop a comp even the league cup, a true fan would never want to drop out of a comp, we arn't the scum!
But, when Man Ure did this, didn't they ditch the League Cup? I wouldn't mind doing that. The LC only pays about £1.5m overall + gates(which is probably quite a lot) and who knows, we might do another Djimi

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Ian Rush's Right foot wrote:We do need to concentrate on the prem, but this will be good we'll get more than 2.5mill from it, we can't drop a comp even the league cup, a true fan would never want to drop out of a comp, we arn't the scum!
But, when Man Ure did this, didn't they ditch the League Cup? I wouldn't mind doing that. The LC only pays about £1.5m overall + gates(which is probably quite a lot) and who knows, we might do another Djimi

Yea agreed. Being a true reds fan, I won't want to drop out of any competition as its a great pleasure in watching our own team play week in week out, though theories state that it might affect our domestic form badly. Rafa will be looking to strengthen the squad adequately in time to compete in all the competitions. In other words, we would have a big enough squad.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:23 pm

It would add another trophy to our collection. It's important for the players as well as for the club's prestige to win that cup. It's will definitely increase our recognition on the international scale as mentioned above in another post.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:31 pm

I think its great - we get to watch Liverpool playing as the official best side in Europe, competing to be best in the world. It can only be good. Imagine Stevie lifting that trophy too!
OK if it meant we had a bad result the following match back home, and then the lost the league title by 2 points, then sure it would not turn out to have been a good idea, but how likely is that?
neilE

Postby jp2002parry » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:39 pm

players like playing thats what they get paid for and thats what they enjoy where would you rather be in december here or in japan on a good bonus and when we come home we will still be fit for the january dip :angry: i just feel a bit sorry for our england team as we would want a good rest at the end of being in so many cups to the end and winning

come on liverpool 5 star this year
jp2002parry

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion