World club championship - How it'll pan out.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:28 pm

taken from lfc.tv. hope this isnt posted elsewhere, so sorry in advance!

JAPAN 2005: THE WAY IT WORKS
20 October 2005

Liverpool will be Europe's representatives in Japan in December as they look to win the Fifa World Club Championships for the first time. 
The competition opens on Sunday 11th December at the National Stadium, Tokyo with the first quarter final game between the AFC Champions (Asia) and the CAF Champions (Africa), Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time). The winners of both of these competitions have still to be decided.

On Monday 12th December the second quarter final takes place at the Toyota Stadium, Toyota between Sydney FC from Australia (Oceania) and Deportivo Saprissa from Costa Rica (CONCACAF), Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time).

The semi-finals (as below) take place on Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th December with both games having a Kick-Off time of 19.20 Hours (local time):

Sao Paulo FC (Brazil – CONMEBOL) v The Winners of Group game between AFC Champions and CAF Champions at the National Stadium, Tokyo on Wednesday 14th December 2005, Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time)

Winners of game between Sydney FC and Deportivo Saprissa V LIVERPOOL at the International Stadium in Yokohama on Thursday 15th December 2005, Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time)

The losing teams from the first two fixtures of the competition (matches played on 11th and 12th December) meet at the National Stadium, Tokyo on Friday 16th December 2005, Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time) to decide 5th and 6th places.

Sunday 18th December is Finals day with the 3rd/4th Place match, Kick-Off 16.20 Hours (local time) and the Final, Kick-Off 19.20 Hours (local time) both being played at the International Stadium,Yokohama.

All matches will be played over 90 minutes plus allowance for time lost, comprising of two periods of 45 minutes each, with an interval of 15 minutes in between. In the event of a match, with the exception of the Final, ending in a draw at the end of normal time then extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each plus allowance for time lost shall be played, with an interval of 5 minutes at the end of normal time but not between the two periods of extra time.

In the event of a match,with the exception of the Final, ending in a draw at the conclusion of extra time then penalty kicks taken in accordance with the procedure described in the Laws of the Game shall determine the winner.

In the event of the Final game ending in a draw at the end of normal time NO extra time shall be played, with the winners being determined by the taking of penalty kicks in accordance with the procedure described in the Laws of the Game.
============================================

doesnt this tournament get televised? and do you believe the whole squad should be involved in preferrance to the first 11.. or is it valuable experience for the reserves? hmm.. is it prestigious enough to sacrifice everything when obviously it is a key period of the season..

personally im not over-keen on the implications, however, i suppose it would be another string in the bow for rafa. it is though not going to be a walk in the park. and remembering past games in japan, i think it was the intercontinental then? or something or other, we got done on both occasions albeit only a one off game, but still. world champions eh... something drastic is going to have to happen if thats to be the case.

fingers crossed though

:p
Last edited by red37 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:31 pm

Can't help but feel that we will have another trophy come january. :buttrock

We should get pass the semi-finals pretty easily. If we play to our strengths we can beat sao paulo ......... (ie...provided they get thru....)
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Im all for it.Being officially recognised as World Champions would be a massive boost to the club`s prestige and bank balance.We might not get another crack at it for years,so yeah,we should take the thing very seriously indeed.I bet AC Milan,Chelski or Arsenal would if they were in our position.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:25 pm

I must confess I think it's a nothing tournament and one which the players don't need right now. Sorry it's a short post but I really don't care about the outcome TBH.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:44 pm

bigmick wrote:I must confess I think it's a nothing tournament and one which the players don't need right now. Sorry it's a short post but I really don't care about the outcome TBH.

you are right, i think its all a bit of a joke and too much to ask from us, we have had to play more games that any other club so far(cl rounds) and then fly off to japan for 2 games.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:13 pm

lakes10 wrote:
bigmick wrote:I must confess I think it's a nothing tournament and one which the players don't need right now. Sorry it's a short post but I really don't care about the outcome TBH.

you are right, i think its all a bit of a joke and too much to ask from us, we have had to play more games that any other club so far(cl rounds) and then fly off to japan for 2 games.

Always full of optimism aren't ya lakes  :D

On the competition, I think its good that we are in it as like someone said before it is not everyday you get to be in a tournament such as this even though it might not be of much significance. It will boost the name of the club and bring in revenue so I'm for it. We wouldn't have to be nowhere near full gear to win the competion and we should be able to use the squad rotation aswell. Also it will be great to have the title of world champions too.  :buttrock
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:39 pm

As far as prestige goes if we win it, I don't think it means that much to be honest.

It will tire out our players at a bad time for us.

The only point in winning it is the cash that may be up for grabs.  Anyone know how much?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ry_math » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:11 pm

i hear bout £2,000,000 but i'm not too sure
ry_math

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:37 pm

Plus maybe another couple of million from people buying the specially produced "Champions of the World" shirt.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Thats exactly the view taken by the F.A in the early days of the World Cup,England took nearly twenty years before they lowered themselves to participate.Same thing with the European Cup,Chelsea refused to play in the first one,they didnt get another chance for nearly half a century.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion