World cup groupings - What would be the chances

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Lionheart » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 am

Looking at the possible draws for the World Cup groupings, there is a feeling here in Aust. that there is a better than average chance of Australia & England being drawn in the same group.

A lot of the guys here are drooling at the possibility.

What do our English fans think...(leave the ego's at home, we know you guys think that we stand no chance). Wouldn't it be great to see it happen though!!   :eyebrow

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:15 am

You never know, Australia would be well up for it like they were in the last England v Oz match. I think Australia would love to be drawn with England, as all the pressure woudl be on England. Australia would have a decent chance of turning them over.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:49 am

can't see it making much of a difference. There will be no easy groups, for australia anyway.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:08 pm

How do the groups work
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:52 pm

England should be top seeds, Australia should be in the pot of fourth seeds. With all the fiddling to avoid regions like South America getting knocked out at the first round I think we'll more likely get an African team with three of their regulars failing to make it (Cameroon, South Africa and Nigeria)

Without doing it extensively I think it may look something like this :-

Top seeds - Brazil (holders), Germany (hosts), Argentina, England, Spain, Holland, France, Italy

Second seeds - USA, Mexico, Czech Republic, Portugal, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Croatia

Third seeds - Paraguay, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Poland, Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro, Tunisia

Fourth seeds - Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Iran, Costa Rica, Togo, Angola

Only Costa Rica of the fourth seeds played at the last World Cup, I think Serbia may well pinch their place in the third seeds. Top seeds may well provide a surprise, this World Cup is a little odd looking with some of the usual suspects missing.

The fates of the 3rd place play-off winners

1982 - Poland (lost in the 2nd round of Mexico 86)
1986 - France (missed Italia 90)
1990 - Italy (beat England in 1990, runners-up in 1994 beaten on penalties)
1994 - Sweden (missed France 1998, knocked out by Austria and Scotland)
1998 - Croatia (1st round exit in 2002)
2002 - Turkey (lost qualifier for 2006 to Switzerland)

Not a great record for 3rd place teams
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:30 pm

i wanted to have brazil in our group
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Lionheart » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:44 am

Owzat wrote:England should be top seeds, Australia should be in the pot of fourth seeds. With all the fiddling to avoid regions like South America getting knocked out at the first round I think we'll more likely get an African team with three of their regulars failing to make it (Cameroon, South Africa and Nigeria)

Without doing it extensively I think it may look something like this :-

Top seeds - Brazil (holders), Germany (hosts), Argentina, England, Spain, Holland, France, Italy

Second seeds - USA, Mexico, Czech Republic, Portugal, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Croatia

Third seeds - Paraguay, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Poland, Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro, Tunisia

Fourth seeds - Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Iran, Costa Rica, Togo, Angola

Only Costa Rica of the fourth seeds played at the last World Cup, I think Serbia may well pinch their place in the third seeds. Top seeds may well provide a surprise, this World Cup is a little odd looking with some of the usual suspects missing.

The fates of the 3rd place play-off winners

1982 - Poland (lost in the 2nd round of Mexico 86)
1986 - France (missed Italia 90)
1990 - Italy (beat England in 1990, runners-up in 1994 beaten on penalties)
1994 - Sweden (missed France 1998, knocked out by Austria and Scotland)
1998 - Croatia (1st round exit in 2002)
2002 - Turkey (lost qualifier for 2006 to Switzerland)

Not a great record for 3rd place teams

Well if we just had a wild stab, and for arguements sake, took your first named teams in each seeding group...

That would have Australia is a group of:

1. Brazil
2. USA
3. Paraguay
4. Australia

I could live with that group!!!  :laugh:

I'm surprised you would have Saudi Arabia in the thrid seed group.

BTW...that would have England grouped with Ghana, Portugal & Switzerland...Mmmm!!  :wwww

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion