How does a five-time eurochampion like us - Don't have enough money to spend?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:03 am

suggestions to those who are worried about the clubs finances, who are a part of that huge fanbase and who haven't done so already.

1. go to liverpoolfc.tv
2. sign up for an e-season ticket
3. go to the online store
4. buy a shirt/scarf/mug/poster etc etc
5. feel good that you are helping to convert the huge fanbase into money for the club

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:14 am

Andy I was in the online store the other day.Had a £100 to spend ,was looking to buy a mens and a womans LFC jacket . There's fk all in there ! Range is pathetic and what is displayed is mostly out of stock .

This is not suprising ,as someone has pointed out ,despite a massive world wide fan base ,our marketing is very much 2nd division.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 am

Rafa has the money and hes does have the fund he needs but hes clever, hes not gonna be roped inot buying rubbish players for large sums of money like diouf ect.....where his transfers have raised eyebrows it is the case that he hasnt spent a lot on them at all: Nunex, pellegrino ect.....

When rafa deos spend money he knows how to use it. For around 22 M we have 3 of the best and most exciting midfielders in Europe in Alonson, Garcia and Sissoko. Hes just keeping all his cards to himself until he needs to clean house.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:30 pm

bavlondon wrote:Rafa has the money and hes does have the fund he needs but hes clever, hes not gonna be roped inot buying rubbish players for large sums of money like diouf ect.....where his transfers have raised eyebrows it is the case that he hasnt spent a lot on them at all: Nunex, pellegrino ect.....

When rafa deos spend money he knows how to use it. For around 22 M we have 3 of the best and most exciting midfielders in Europe in Alonson, Garcia and Sissoko. Hes just keeping all his cards to himself until he needs to clean house.

He hasn't been affraid to admit his poor signings either. After poor performances, he swiftly got rid of Nunez and Pellegrino. How many other managers would keep hold of them to save face? Give them another year maybe. Not Rafa! Well done son!
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:47 pm

Rafa is a smart person and that's why he's at Liverpool.

Believe in Rafa.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Money or not, I totally agree with Rafa and Rick's decision that we should not be screwed over by Real Madrid for resigning Owen after one season for £8M loss. The business and principle just don't make sense. Let the toons splash their money, they will never be the team that we should be worried about...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:10 am

We were right not to buy Owen, to pay double what we sold him for last season would have been absolutely ridiculous. We should have laid out for Simao though, when Benfica upped the bid surely LFC knew that if we failed to meet Benfica's demands then we would have no time left to bring in someone else?

In saying that though, for Benfica to do that at the last minute once a fee had already been agreed and a medical had been passed is quite shameful, how must Simao feel I wonder?

Absolutely gutted we didn’t get him as I've been raving about him for weeks, and thought we had got our man. Close but no cigar I'm afraid. :(
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flombs » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:39 am

LFC #1 wrote:We were right not to buy Owen, to pay double what we sold him for last season would have been absolutely ridiculous. We should have laid out for Simao though, when Benfica upped the bid surely LFC knew that if we failed to meet Benfica's demands then we would have no time left to bring in someone else?

In saying that though, for Benfica to do that at the last minute once a fee had already been agreed and a medical had been passed is quite shameful, how must Simao feel I wonder?

Absolutely gutted we didn’t get him as I've been raving about him for weeks, and thought we had got our man. Close but no cigar I'm afraid. :(

Spot on LFC#1

I dont think being Champions of Europe has helped us, and also last minute buying. Most clubs think we are desperate (which we probably are) so prices go up. look at simao. :no
"Anorexics addicted to shopping with hollow labotomised
heads". -Brazilian newspaper on British football wives.

"Long live Italy! I dont like Australia! I dont care about
the Australian team, and i dont want them to have good results!" -Chinese football commentator (Hilarious)
flombs

Postby Tiiger » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:41 am

Well, well, well, can't believe so many senior members have no idea what my post is about! Anyway, I know my English is poor, so I will make an explanation for my post:

first, I didn't say anything bad about Rafa. I believe he's wise when purchasing even he has a billion in hand, thus I have no concern about Rafa becoming another GH. What really makes upset is that, being the most successful club in England, we can't financially support him when he needs it. GH should be blamed for this with no doubt!

Second, my post has nothing to do with the Owen saga. If we can't sign a good RM and CB, it's useless to buy Owen, and that's what really happened! A five-time-euro-champion can't acquire its desired player, do you think this will happen to Real Madrid or AC Milan?

Third, even we are the 10th on the richest-club-list, I'm not satisfied. We should be the richest among the richest! Why the manures standing on the top? Their history is pale, their fans are minions, because we ruled the Europe for years! However, we failed to use the golden age to sustain a long time success. There could be a lot of marketing issues involved which I can't figure out, but just like Bayern Munchen dominates the German league through out, we should have ruled the EPL, especially when we had the chance!

At last, we need to question ourselves about these failures before it's too late. Rafa said he needs 5 years to bring those glory days back, I have no hesitation to support him. However, some people need to review the club's failure in past years and avoid making same mistakes again. If Rafa bring us to another golden age 5 years later, how can we keep our dominance longer?

I think the club is finally on the right track, the only thing can stop us is our own mistake.
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:56 am

The point about marketting has been brought up before... I think it was St Mike who posted a topic back in 2003 asking what the club needed to do to be able to challenge reguarly for top honours (Premiereship and champiosn league on a regular basis), and I said we needed to exploit our fame.  A lot of people were concerned about losing touch with the community and so forht but if we are honest... ticket prices have placed match tickets out of reach for many people and other things too have meant we are starting to lose touch with the community... I'm not advocating Manc style brand exploitation but our marketors need to be more rutheless.  If some unfortunate in asia has enough money to buy 1 football jersey only then make sure its a Liverpool 1!  In australia everyone knows about Liverpool because Harry Kewell plays for them and in his first year I saw plenty of Liverpool jerseys around straight after he signed... but then the australian media lost interest in the story and you couldnt see anyone with a liverpool jersey because no-one was hearing about them.  With our spanish players we should be the most popular non-spanish team in spain, with kewell we should be the most popular team in australia (even if kewell is sh1t), we need to exploit our opportunities much better if we want to be able to rejoin the upper echeleons of english football.  (that goes for our strikers on the field too :;): )
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:42 am

It's all very well saying 'Well done Rafa - stick to your guns son. Don't buy anyone who isn't perfect ie right price - right player.' However, I agree with Starbridge - its all about marketing and IMO the best possible marketing for LFC is success on the pitch! As has been said in other posts, our transfer activity over the break has only (IMHO) marginally improved our sqaud and really only added some depth rather than new avenues for creativity, more goals and more wins.

If Rafa pulls off a top three finish this year my already healthy admiration for the man will know no bounds. It's asking an awful lot of Cisse, Nando, Pongo and Crouch to score enough goals without the wingers we so desperately need. I beleive Rafa is asking a lot of himself too - we know he's a master tactician but being asked to produce results with the limited number of formations our squad will allow is like asking him to work with one arm tied behind his back!

Bottom line is - if we are being asked to trust in Rafa, I beleive the board shoudl show their faith too.  If Rafa identifies a list of players he wants because he believes they will do the job on the pitch then the board must back him and make the funds available to get them.  If negotiations break down for the sake of a price difference of 2-3 million it is just not good enough!  :no
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion