Money where yer mouth is time - Where will liverpool finish this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Money where yer mouth is time - Where will liverpool finish this season?

Premiership Champions
33%
Premiership Runners-Up
23%
Third
38%
Fourth
7%
Fifth
No votes
Sixth
No votes
Lower Than Sixth
No votes

Total votes : 106

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:52 am

The thing is, I don't think anybody has ever denied that winning the Premiership in this day and age is a mammoth task. Challenging for it though, just for a fleeting second, a few weeks when we are allowed to dream? Perhaps a victory or two over the other members of the big four, maybe a little run around Easter where we briefly loom into contention? Once in four or five seasons? Too much to ask? I don't think so.

Even under Houllier we challenged, and don't even get me started on him.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm

bigmick wrote:Challenging for it though, just for a fleeting second, a few weeks when we are allowed to dream?

Two wins on the trot in August and level on points with Chelsea at the top of the table...we're in dreamland now Mick! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:Challenging for it though, just for a fleeting second, a few weeks when we are allowed to dream?

Two wins on the trot in August and level on points with Chelsea at the top of the table...we're in dreamland now Mick! :D

Plus My little Pony is off to join Kewell in the cesspit that is known as Hell and we have signed some fella that no one really knows anything about but everyone pretends to! :D
We dont know we are living......Good Times!! :buttrock  :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 pm

bigmick wrote:The thing is, I don't think anybody has ever denied that winning the Premiership in this day and age is a mammoth task. Challenging for it though, just for a fleeting second, a few weeks when we are allowed to dream? Perhaps a victory or two over the other members of the big four, maybe a little run around Easter where we briefly loom into contention? Once in four or five seasons? Too much to ask? I don't think so.

Even under Houllier we challenged, and don't even get me started on him.

i think rotation will be less this year mick, and tbh, i wish rafa would rotate kuyt out of the team a little more tho

he seriously does my head in
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

:D yes I'll concede we are challenging at the moment Bob. In all seriousness, somebody should try and define "challenge" because if we don't win it (which sorry to be the purveyor of doom but I don't think we quite will) then the debate will no doubt rage as to whether we challenged or not, whether it was genuine and sustained and all that.

FWIW I think a challenge is one of those things which is hard to really nail down, but you know it whan you see it. Arsenal definately challenged for it in my book last season for instance, despite finishing a couple of wins back. I guess as far as a proper challenge goes, it doesn't really get underway until after the christmas period but even then, if we were six points clear in November I'd be dreaming along with everybody else.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:19 pm

bigmick wrote:The thing is, I don't think anybody has ever denied that winning the Premiership in this day and age is a mammoth task. Challenging for it though, just for a fleeting second, a few weeks when we are allowed to dream? Perhaps a victory or two over the other members of the big four, maybe a little run around Easter where we briefly loom into contention? Once in four or five seasons? Too much to ask? I don't think so.

Who's saying otherwise? (apart from maybe Lando  :D )
LFC2007

Postby DLS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:20 am

Liverpool will walk away with the league this year. We're playing way below par yet still picking up the right results. A 0-0 away from home in Europe is usally considered a good result and Liege taught us a lesson so I'd say it was a good result. The two wins in the Premiership were hard faught victories, but we showed determination and grit to fight till the last minute. We didn't let our heads drop. We could have easily accepted draws in both games and thought ourselves lucky but we didn't. We made sure we won.

This also tieing in with the Olympics which has kept Mascherano and Babel out of the side, as well as Lucas, but the Brazillian won't play too often. We've also had injuries to key players (Gerrard and Skrtel). Players who don't know if their coming or going (Pennant, Finnan, Voronin) they might not be involved in the matches but it can still distrupt the dressing room at training.

We've scrapped a fair bit at the start of the season where we're still trying to find our best formation and style to accomadate the new signings and youngsters who've made the step up. It's not easy to get out the blocks instantly, look at United and Arsenal who've both dropped silly points. Are people questioning their ability to challenge? If so, we might as well stop playing the rest of the season and hand Chelsea the Premiership now. The same Chelsea who didn't look over convincing against Wigan. The season is two games in and we're winning games that we don't deserve to. Any other side and it'd be "they're doing what champions do...winning ugly" but us, nah we're never satisfied are we. We always enjoy putting ourselves down, telling ourselves we're not good enough so it gets to the point where the players feel the same way and actually think "what's the point, we're never going to win the league" Well those who think we're not good enough can :censored: off because this club is going places and the first place we're heading is back to the champions of England where we rightfully belong.
DLS

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 am

DLS wrote:Liverpool will walk away with the league this year.

That's the spirit mate  :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DLS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:33 am

bigmick wrote:
DLS wrote:Liverpool will walk away with the league this year.

That's the spirit mate  :D

:D I know. Wouldn't harm you and your Miserable Motely Crew to show the same spirt  :;):
DLS

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:02 am

BigMicks MMC.....sounds cool ...... can I join  :D
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:25 am

Sirname is Dore by the way.

"Hey I'm Big Micky DEE of the MMC,
And don't accuse me of been rotation-aree,
It's not even an option,
or a poss-ibilitee
But I might be OOTer cos
I live in En Zee.

Westside.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DLS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:46 am

bigmick wrote:Sirname is Dore by the way.

It's not even an option,
or a poss-ibilitee
But I might be OOTer cos
I live in En Zee.

Westside.

:laugh: This lad deserves legendary status. Well done fella.
DLS

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:20 am

bigmick wrote:Sirname is Dore by the way.

It's not even an option,
or a poss-ibilitee
But I might be OOTer cos
I live in En Zee.

Westside.

WTF?  :laugh: Little early to be on the fanta over in the "En Zee" wouldn't you say Big Mickey Dee?  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 am

DLS wrote:Liverpool will walk away with the league this year. We're playing way below par yet still picking up the right results. A 0-0 away from home in Europe is usally considered a good result and Liege taught us a lesson so I'd say it was a good result. The two wins in the Premiership were hard faught victories, but we showed determination and grit to fight till the last minute. We didn't let our heads drop. We could have easily accepted draws in both games and thought ourselves lucky but we didn't. We made sure we won.

This also tieing in with the Olympics which has kept Mascherano and Babel out of the side, as well as Lucas, but the Brazillian won't play too often. We've also had injuries to key players (Gerrard and Skrtel). Players who don't know if their coming or going (Pennant, Finnan, Voronin) they might not be involved in the matches but it can still distrupt the dressing room at training.

We've scrapped a fair bit at the start of the season where we're still trying to find our best formation and style to accomadate the new signings and youngsters who've made the step up. It's not easy to get out the blocks instantly, look at United and Arsenal who've both dropped silly points. Are people questioning their ability to challenge? If so, we might as well stop playing the rest of the season and hand Chelsea the Premiership now. The same Chelsea who didn't look over convincing against Wigan. The season is two games in and we're winning games that we don't deserve to. Any other side and it'd be "they're doing what champions do...winning ugly" but us, nah we're never satisfied are we. We always enjoy putting ourselves down, telling ourselves we're not good enough so it gets to the point where the players feel the same way and actually think "what's the point, we're never going to win the league" Well those who think we're not good enough can :censored: off because this club is going places and the first place we're heading is back to the champions of England where we rightfully belong.

I admire your optimism but I just don't see how we're going to walk the league when we have so little money to spend compared to Man U and Chelsea.  Arsenal, too, seem to have worked wonders with their youth system whilst are young lads just don't seem to be good enough to break through into the first team.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby DLS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:15 pm

My optimism is so high because I have so much trust in the players and manager. I feel Rafa Benitez is good enough to win the league without an open cheque book. If you don't then, that's your opinion.
DLS

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion