Money where yer mouth is time - Where will liverpool finish this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Money where yer mouth is time - Where will liverpool finish this season?

Premiership Champions
33%
Premiership Runners-Up
23%
Third
38%
Fourth
7%
Fifth
No votes
Sixth
No votes
Lower Than Sixth
No votes

Total votes : 106

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:06 am

PREDICTION TIME - with the new season starting in a couple of weeks

Where will we finish in the league this season? I could have done a more convaluted poll involving trophies, but at the end of the day this is the holy grail and could be do or die for Rafa

Ins

£20.3m : Keane (Tottenham)
£8.0m : Riera (Espanyol)
£7.0m : Dossena (Udinese)
£3.0m : Cavalieri (Palmeiras)
£1.5m : N'Gog (PSG)

free : Flora (Botafogo)
free : Degen (B.Dortmund)

Outs

£11.0m : Crouch (Portsmouth)
£4.0m : Riise (Roma)
£3.25m : Carson (WBA)
£2.5m : Guthrie (Newcastle)
undisc : Finnan (Espanyol)

free : Le Tallec (Le Mans)
released : Kewell (Galatasary)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/ (based loosely on, also for people who might be interested in a summary of who has joined/left who)
Last edited by Owzat on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:21 am

it still depends on who else we sign and who else leaves or joins our main rivals. even so, i still don't see us quite at the level of resilience or consistency of chelsea or the mancs. i have a feeling we'll be 3rd, or at the very best 2nd if everything gels - as much as i want to believe it i just don't see us winning the thing.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 am

We will win the league this year , and you can quote me on that. :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:52 am

2nd or 3rd, but closer to the title winners this time.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:52 am

I think whilst we have more options going forward with Keane we are weaker at the back. If Agger can stay fit though maybe we have a chance. Im going for 4th maybe 3rd.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:14 am

Third.

This is the strongest Liverpool team we've had in a while.

I do believe we will mount a title challenge. My major concern though, is that Rafa feels Keane is a sufficient addition to turn a few of those 0-0 draws last year into wins (will dig up his quote on this). Ngog and Nemeth need to be used more this season as I feel they are capable of scoring against some of the weaker sides in the Prem.

However, we have a weak link offensively and that is our Right midfield / wing (assuming Gerrard does NOT play there). Chelsea and Mancs do not have that weakness and have a balanced team from front to back. IF, Kuyt or Pennant start chipping in with goals from that position, we could mount a serious title challenge, but at this point in time - I don't see that happening (given the facts from the past 2 years).

If Gerrard is moved out Right and Xabi discovers his form in the middle, I'd stick my neck out and say that the title is a distinct possibility. Sadly, I don't see the the latter happening (as much as I want it to!).
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby lewerty » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 am

even if we dont win rafa should still be in a job next year will be a lot closer this year so 2/3rd and another good run in the CL
lewerty

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 pm

I think Man Utd will win it by a whisker,(a point or so) from Chelsea, with us a couple of points back after having launched a full and authenitc title challenge. I think when push comes to shove, we'll be no more than Five points off the winners, and if you put a gun to my head I'll say three points off the top.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:35 pm

We will win the league this season and another cup too :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Fourth
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I really thought we would win the title last season. This season I think we will go close (challenge) but not close enough. I think our defense looks weaker than last season, our midfield slightly stronger, and with Keane up front with Torres, goals shouldn't be a major problem.

The problem I think we will have this season is we have no plan "B". If we are struggling we can change the players, change the formation, but not the way we play. No player that is outstanding in the air, no player to bring on that has the ability to beat players for fun and really no real game breakers on the bench. Babel may be an option, but all he really offers is pace and we already have that with Torres. We have no one who can add width in the way the other top clubs have, no Crouch to pump desperate balls up to, and no real creativity waiting to be unleashed at the right moment.

Close but no cigar......unless we get a top class winger in the January sales maybe.

2nd 5 points behind
account deleted by request

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm confused, why is our defence weaker this year, is it because we sold Riise, don't make me laugh  :D
heimdall

Postby Salty Sock » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:58 pm

We will take it home this year right? :)
Salty Honors Acceptee List: Graham01, grayghost, dawson99, Bamaga Man, GYBS, LegBarnes, frankp57, Toffeehater, crazyhorse , Number 9, dward, Judge, Sabre :) PM for info!

Salty Sock

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:14 pm

heimdall wrote:I'm confused, why is our defence weaker this year, is it because we sold Riise, don't make me laugh  :D

Last season at this time we had Finnan, Carra, Agger and Aurelio/Riise as our back four.

Finnan dropped out of favour/injured/lost form and is probably now on his way to Villa, while his replacement (Deggen)just doesn't look up to the job. Arbeloa who will probably be our first choice now is not as good IMO as Finnan was.

Carra had a poor season last season, maybe because of all the changes at the back, but I think he will have problems with changes again this season.

Agger is still not back to what he was, and while Skrtel has done well, he is not as good as Agger was.

Aurelio/Dossena aren't IMO that good and don't up to now, look any better than the Aurelio/Riise option of last season.   

So basically I think we are definately weaker at fullback and with Agger not yet back to his best slightly weaker at CB too.

That my view anyway.
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I predict we'll finish fourth this year, as every other year I predict we'll win it. Here's hoping.
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion