What does steve know tho ay?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:29 pm

GERRARD: SECRET BEHIND THAT HUG

By David Maddock

STEVEN GERRARD last night revealed the motives behind his emotional embrace of manager Gerard Houllier at Anfield on Thursday.

The Liverpool skipper made a pointed gesture to his club's fans when he raced to the manager to celebrate after scoring the crucial opening goal against Levski Sofia in the UEFA Cup tie.

And yesterday he made clear the debt of gratitude he owes Houllier by saying it would "kill him" if the Frenchman was forced out of Anfield.

Gerrard, who said his gesture of support for Houllier was spontaneous, said: "Everyone has to realise that we cannot afford to have regrets. We cannot feel sorry for Gerard Houllier and ourselves the day he does leave this club and wish we had done this or that differently.

"I cannot speak for others but personally it would kill me if he left. We have to do it for him now. That way we can take some of the pressure off and the club can go from strength to strength.

"The manager knows he has got my total support. I'll just try to give my all every time I play for him.

"It's been a difficult week but it was nice to get a goal for him. He's taken 95 per cent of the stick following the Portsmouth game when it was the players who didn't perform.

"The manager and coaching staff can only do so much for us. It's up to the team to do the rest and we didn't do it at Portsmouth."

Gerrard's actions on Thursday, when Liverpool showed exactly what they are capable of with an accomplished performance to beat the Bulgarians, spoke volumes. In openly supporting Houllier, the skipper sent a message to the fans to get behind their trophy-winning manager, and the Kop responded with passionate support.

Gerrard, though, stressed that he hadn't planned his celebration in advance. "I never had a plan to run over to him. I don't think like that," he said.

"But when I scored and turned round he was the first person I saw and it just seemed the right thing to do, to run towards him. It was a spontaneous thing and maybe it brought everyone, the fans and everyone, together.

"I have been here since I was eight and there have been two people who have had a massive influence on me. All the coaching staff help, but I will always be thankful to Steve Heighway for helping me and giving me so much of his time when I was growing up.

"At 17 he handed me over to Gerard Houllier and he has made me a better player and a better person.

"Jamie Carragher said that if the boss hadn't come here he wouldn't have six medals in his trophy cabinet.

"That's the same for me. Because of him I've got six medals, 21 England caps, and an opportunity to make something out of my career."Gerrard praised the Anfield fans as Liverpool prepare to put their league form right at Leeds tomorrow.

"Nobody here has forgotten that it has been a hard week for the fans as well," he said.

"They just want to see the team they support doing well and, after what happened last weekend, people were entitled to be frustrated. This is Liverpool Football Club we are talking about. We shouldn't have slipped up there.

"There isn't really any room for error now but the good thing is that Champions League qualification is in our own hands. If we win our game in hand we're back in fourth."

Harry Kewell returns to Elland Road tomorrow with Leeds fans promising a hot reception after he walked out on the club in the summer.

But Houllier is adamant that the Aussie winger has the mental strength to deal with anything his former fans throw at him.

"Harry is up to it, no question," he said. "He is a tough character and I'm sure that he won't let anything they do bother him."
115-1073096938

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:06 pm

On ya, stevie, give im your support.  If gh does leave I wonder how it will affect Gerrard's performances?  He obviously feels endebted to GH.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby ynwa » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:03 pm

stevie g had a cracking game today
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion