Steve morgan - What can u tell me

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anchor man » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:20 pm

With Steve Morgan having made 2/3 attempts to buy a controlling stake in the club, can anyone tell me more about him? Why do the club seem to see him as a hostile takover?

Do him and moores not get on well.

Surely he must represent a better option than some guys from Thailand ( no disrepect intended to our Thai followers)

Wouldnt he also be able to ensure the new stadium is built to a high spec on time and within budget.
anchor man

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:28 pm

What can you tell us about Kevin Beattie? :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anchor man » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:40 pm

****** youve got a memory like an elephant?

Any chance you can enlighten me about morgan it does interest me who may or may not have an influence in the club ive followed going on 35 yrs.

TA.
anchor man

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:48 pm

Building Magnate Steve Morgan is, and always has been, a vociferous critic of chairman David Moores, Liverpool's majority shareholder. Morgan's original bid of between 40m and 50m could have given him a control in Liverpool but the board turned it down, as they claimed he was significantly undervaluing the club. looking back now they were correct.

With a 5% stake in Liverpool, Morgan is Liverpool 3rd biggest Shareholder - Moores has a 51% majority stake, while Granada owns 10%.

In January, Moores had to withstand a substained verbal assault at the club's annual general meeting from Morgan, who does not hold a position on the board.

Then Morgan, who has an estimated fortune of more than 300m quids, said "The Chairman has refused to talk to me."

"Money is available fromme and others, but the Chairman will not dilute his holding."

Moores responded by saying "It is time to bury the hatchet, if you (Morgan) want a meeting, we will sit down and talk it over."

"This is no good for this club, we must bury the hatchet, if it means diluting myshares or even selling to another Roman Abramovich, I will have to do it."

More recently, a second bid was also turned down, and interest fron thailand seems to have also died down.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:34 pm

anchor man wrote:With Steve Morgan having made 2/3 attempts to buy a controlling stake in the club, can anyone tell me more about him? Why do the club seem to see him as a hostile takover?

Surely he must represent a better option than some guys from Thailand ( no disrepect intended to our Thai followers)

Wouldnt he also be able to ensure the new stadium is built to a high spec on time and within budget.

Are you working for the freaking DSS or what ??
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:57 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
anchor man wrote:With Steve Morgan having made 2/3 attempts to buy a controlling stake in the club, can anyone tell me more about him? Why do the club seem to see him as a hostile takover?

Are you working for the freaking DSS or what ??

haha Steve morgan has been buliding his multimillion pound business empire on the side while claimin 85 quid off the dole every 2 weeks.......Quality!

Never mind Steve morgan whats the truth about kevin beattie!!!!
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:06 pm

Morgan's attack on Houllier and Moores in January was extremely harsh and the pressure began to show on Moores who, as St.Mick says, reluctantly conceded that he might sell out.

This was further strengthened by Rick Parry's mission statement of raising further capital for Liverpool.

In the early summer Moores' rebuffed Morgan saying that his share purchase offer was utterly unattractive, as it would have amounted to the creation of new shares which would have greatly decreased Moore's shareholding and undervalued the exisitng shares as Morgan's proposed share issue was based on what was probably an artificially low value of the club. Moores also was against Morgan's demand for seats on the board and Morgan's ultimate goal of becoming chairman.

The Thai offer amounted to a straight purchase of some of Moores' shareholding, giving the club a middling cash injection of around £20-25million and Moores' around £30-35million in cash for his shares. You can see the obvious attraction of this to Moores as he would make a lot of cash whereas Morgan offered him nothing.

The Thai deal died and its unlikely the Thai Deal Mark II will ever amount to anything, and with Champions League football guaranteed, the club feels it can hang on in the short term.

However, if the team struggles this season and Parry takes a FA job, Moores might be tempted to wash his hands of the club and sell out to Morgan.

I have heard that Morgan made a new offer in the last month which apparently Moores found a lot closer to being acceptable.

Morgan sees himself as a fans' champion, but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a saviour. He talks a lot of hardball and says he wont stand for nonsense, but the fear is that he could ultimately allow his heart sign his cheque book, like Risdale at Leeds.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:26 pm

Morgan's an idiot.

Simple as that. He will never give a manager the time he needs to build a decent team. Under him we'd move backwards very quickly.
115-1073096938

Postby who the hell is diarra » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:02 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Morgan's an idiot.

Simple as that. He will never give a manager the time he needs to build a decent team. Under him we'd move backwards very quickly.

I know to you Stu that everyone is an idiot but i agree with you this time.  :D  We don't need a Doug Ellis here !  :oh:
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Morgan's an idiot.

Bad day down at Sun Hill nick eh lad ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:46 pm

lmao, Sun Hill :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:07 am

If Morgan has to fork out some 30 million to buy Moores out and some more 25 million to inject into the club, you'd bet that he will breathe down the manager's neck at every turn and would expect immediate suuccess.

The question remains...given the scenario that Moores wants to cash in his stake rather than dilute it for nothing (any idi*t won't do that!) and that Morgan would have to part with a substantial amount of his personal fortune, would he be a good "savior" or woule he be a new version of Doug Ellis? Do we want this to happen to our beloved club?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anchor man » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:09 pm

Not knowing much about Morgan yesterday i feel i know a bit more today.

Thats wat these forums should b about, Q and A and individual opinions

Thanks
anchor man

Postby JBG » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:42 am

There is an assumption that while Moores may be bad (in fact he has been very good in many ways but must stand guilty as he oversaw Liverpool's decline and he stood by Evans and Houllier for too long) then Morgan must be automatically good.

He could be good, he could be bad, we just don't know.

However, as Azriahmad and Stu said, judging by Morgan's tough words, he would probably lose patience with managers far too quickly and yes, the danger is that he could be a new Doug Ellis.

I suppose my comparison with Peter Risdale is wrong as Morgan would probably wield a tight hold of the cheque book rather than spend £1000 a year on the upkeep of the goldfish in his office!  :D  :D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion