Season reflections

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri May 06, 2005 1:19 pm

Unbelievable to think that as I write this, we are in the Champions League Final, reached the final of the Carling Cup and are still in with an outside chance of finishing 4th in the Premiership. I don't care what anyone says. Considering the number of injuries we've had this season, and considering we have a new manager, I still think this season has been a success, especially if we win in Istanbul on the 25th May.

To be perfectly honest, I didn’t have any preconceptions on the season at the start – I’m a patient person who believes a manager needs 2/3 seasons to mould a team in his own image, and the Liverpool board seems to think the same. I would have been happy at the start of the season for a top four finish and to progress through the group stages, so in some way we are good, some bad. Obviously the season has 3 more games to go, but Benitez has ensured that the final game is our biggest for 20 years.

Rafael Benitez (& Staff) - 8 out of 10

I love the guy for his humility, but I’m not going to pretend that his first year at the helm of the world’s greatest team has been all glory. He came into the job with a restless squad, and started sorting the wheat from the chaff. He completely changed the way that the team played, which has suddenly brought the good times back to Anfield, yet we are relatively useless on our travels in England. He has brought a new defensive system which was instantly slated on these forums and in the media, yet nobody talks about it now, not one Fleet Street hack has now come out and praised the Zonal system. He now plays with wingers, but we are versatile enough to change formation whenever needed, although it does have some teething troubles so far – Rafa is having problems tacking tough scrappy teams, and the 13 away defeats have been testament to this. Hopefully this is something Rafa can deal with last season, maybe by bringing in some tougher players who are up for the fight.

The injury list has been diabolical, at times our attacking options have been decimated, and he has never moaned. Against Bolton at home we didn’t have a striker, yet we still won. I do wonder if all the pulls and strains are due to the extreme fitness regime? Obviously the broken bones aren’t, but have we been training the players too much?

He has brought about a new fighting spirit, shown away at Fulham and home against Citeh, in that we can overcome a deficit, yet sometimes we don’t appear to want to win – the Palace game was the most recent example. He needs to get the players motivated more for the ‘little’ games, or get players who are up for the fight. As I said earlier, it can’t all be perfect instantly so this must be Benitez’s first priority next season.

The league table isn’t good to look at, but if it were Newcastle in 4th we would have been much happier – unfortunately it’s the Blues, but so be it, well done Everton, enjoy your brief day in the sun.

All in all a good first season from Rafa, the building blocks are in place yet a lot of work to go, but two finals and a happier Anfield crowd is a good start. There is a very good spine to the squad now, it just needs fleshing out, and a lot of the kids have had experience.

Ok, I’ve written my opinion on Midfielders and Attackers but its too long in one post so for starters here are my opinion on the Keepers & Defenders. Its too long & self indulgent already!

Jerzy Dudek 7/10

Seems to be getting better now, flapping a lot less and getting back to his first season form. I can’t remember too many gaffs (Leverkusen aside) and his shot stopping is still in fine form. Whether he survives to 05/06 is still a big question mark.

Chris Kirkland 4/10

I think his chance has gone now, far too injury prone and the injuries seem to have affected his movement. I’m writing this without referring to the Internet for stats, but I remember back in the autumn he seemed unable to get down to the low shots well, and opponents know this. Not agile enough, and if he passes a medical, will be on the way out.

Scott Carson 6/10

Nice little cameo roles, and definitely one for the future. His balls up against Juve aside (when maybe Carragher should have closed down Cannavaro too) he is a very good shot stopper and will be second choice next season.

Josemi 4/10

Started the season well, and then strangely seemed to ‘un-adapt’ to the Premiership. Injuries haven’t helped his cause, but maybe – just maybe, his enforced absence has meant he has had more chance to watch the way the game is played, as his positional sense was shoddy at best before his injuries. I have a feeling he will still be here next season, as cover for Finnan.

Steve Finnan 8/10

Slow start, but he has come on in leaps and bounds this season. Should have been right back of the season, he looks so composed and is the player we thought we were getting in 2003. It’s a position that now doesn’t need strengthening in the summer, and all credit to the lad for that.

Jamie Carragher 9.5/10

Fantastic, player of the season by a country mile (is a country mile further than a city one??). I started a poll back in November as to who the most important player was, and as far as I know Carra only got 1 vote – which shows what the last 6 months have been for the Bootle lad. The zonal system suits him to the ground, as his pace isn’t needed as much – he just need to cover his zone and not follow a faster striker. Future captain if (and not ‘when’ it now seems) Stevie leaves.

Sami Hyypia 8/10

Some people on here were writing him off. The old adage about old dogs and new tricks seemed, by his own admission, true. However Sami has adapted well in the last few months to the zonal system and is getting back to his old form. A valuable player who has a couple of years still left in the old legs!

Mauricio Pellegrino 5.5/10

This guy confuses me, some games he is great, some woeful. Certainly not as bad as the knee-jerkers make out, but his lack of pace catches him out of position at times. In a crowded situation he is very good, but one on one – no chance. May stay next season as cover if Rafa decides against on concentrating on other areas of the squad.

Stephen Warnock 7/10

Stephen has really impressed me, but his injuries and the form of Djimi has held him back. The likes of Warnock, Riise and Traore mean that left back is covered. At first I thought that he was always a step or two out of position, but now he has started to believe in himself and really flys into tackles. One for the future definitely.

Djimi Traore 7/10

Has excelled this season, and Everton can sod off if they think they can get him on the cheap now! He still gets himself into bad situations due to his ungainly size, but almost always gets himself out of it with a fantastic recovery. Seems to have matured and helps the winger out – if he can keep improving then he could save us a lot of money.

John Arne Riise 8/10

I’ve always loved this guy, he doesn’t have great ability to beat a guy, he just drops a shoulder and knocks it past them. Great energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the team, and has chipped in with a healthy amount of goals. Back to the form of his 1st full season at the club.

Steven Gerrard 8/10

By his own admission, our captain has not been as consistent as the previous two seasons but nobody can doubt that on his day, there is no better midfielder in world football. Speculation about his future hasn't helped but why would he leave now? Goal against Olympiakos will go down in history as one of the most important in the club's history.

Xabi Alonso 9/10

Unbelievable player to watch. Season cruelly cut short due to a Frank Lampard tackle on New Years Day. The best passer of a ball I've seen at the club since Jan Molby. Will be vital to this club for years to come.

Dietmar Hamann 7/10

Unsung hero of the squad. Not fancy by any means but superb at what he does. Completely outshone Makelele on Tuesday night and should be rewarded with a new 1 yr contract.

Igor Biscan 7.5/10

A joke figure for many in the past, Igor has started to show what he is capable of this season. He was never a centre back, and now in his rightful position, he has had some superb games. Deportivo and Leverkusen spring to mind. However, whether he has done enough to get a new contract is anyone's guess.

Luis Garcia 8.5/10

Joint top scorer. Season has pretty much fallen into three parts. Started like a house on fire, especially in home games. Superb technically, two footed and very intelligent. However got a lot of stick for being lightweight and giving the ball away frequently. However since March he has been immense, scoring some vital goals along the way against Leverkusen, Juventus, Everton etc.

Antonio Nunez 6/10

Still don't know what to make of the guy. Seems to have a lot of talent but seems afraid to express it. Good crosser of the ball but I can't see him being a first team regular next season.

Harry Kewell 3/10

A shadow of the player at Leeds. Injury prone aswell. Rafa will get rid in the summer. Amazing to think that he was worth £25m a few years back.

Djibril Cisse 6/10

I've given him this mark due to the fact that he's amazingly playing again this season. Didn't set the world on fir when fit but will surely be featuring heavily in the manager's plans next season.

Milan Baros 6/10

Joint top scorer but still not good enough for me. Work ethic is not in question but goal ratio is. Has missed a lot of guilt edged chances this season and overall awareness is poor.Could very well be out in the summer if a better option becomes available.

Fernando Morientes 6/10

Another player who has been getting a lot of stick recently. He came out last week and said that he was surprised by the intensity and pace of the English game, which may explain why he has taken time to settle in. Still a top class player. Put money on him being top goalscorer next season.

Florent Sinama Pongolle 7/10

Another one who's season was cut short by injury. Superb potential though. Scored some vital goals aswell, nost notably against Olympiakos to start the second half revival.

Neil Mellor 6.5/10

Future uncertain. Was on the verge of being sold to Sheffield United before our impending striker crisis. An old fashioned centre forward in every sense of the word and a clinical finisher. His last minute winner against arsenal will live long in the memory.

....................................................................................

Im would think that out of that squad, there will probably be 5-6 leaving in the summer. The core is there. With a few quality additions I really believe we can do some serious damage next year. :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion