Riise - Another dimension

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:38 pm

What weve lacked since Rob Jones and Macca is cohesive link up play on the flanks and Riise and Kewell could provide this although again like the rest of the team its been frustratingly little and often due to injuries etc
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:38 pm

I used to play as a winger(on the right) when i was younger they tried me in central midfield and i kept drifting out wide, i didnt even know i was doing it at times .Now when i was on the wing i could stay wide or as when was required i could drift in to the center.This is what you see when Riise drifts in its not because he is a natural center player he just see's a gap and is trying to exploit it, admittedly i wasnt premiership class but just through my own experiance i would say riise should stay on the left.
It really does help to use two feet in central midfield also a cross is a lot easier to do than a pass through the middle.
the other point to bear in mind is its a lot easier to find central midfielder's than it is to find a winger.
ronmeister

Postby 109-1105722616 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:39 pm

i think riise can be good in number of positions, he seems pretty lively and energetic
109-1105722616

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:42 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Riise would do a wonderful job in the centre. He has got the necessary pace, strenght and stamina to chase the opposition around like a mad dog. He will win a lot of headers and put in some solid tackles. He will also get into better positions around the box and probably score even more goals. I can see no wrong in giving him a go in cantral midfield. That is if we can find a decent left winger somewhere.

Lmao!!!

I always thought you had very little knowledge. I was so wrong, you have none!

Playing out wide is TOTALLY different to playing in the middle. Its a totally different game. Wide players play wide for a reason. To suggest this shows you have a serious lack of knowledge and have never played in either position at any standard.

i wish someone would have told houllier that, he tried umpteen central players out wide like murphy, cheyrou and even diao.
i dont think the idea is as nuts as you are making out, riise to me seems like a round peg in a square hole, he has the attributes of a very good player but i wouldnt say he is outstanding as a left back or winger. i think he looks like a player who hasnt defined his role in a side, maybe centre mid is that role. its worth a try.
someone pointed out that he cant tackle, well keep him away from left back then because being able to tackle should be bread and butter to any defender.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby banana » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:23 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Riise would do a wonderful job in the centre. He has got the necessary pace, strenght and stamina to chase the opposition around like a mad dog. He will win a lot of headers and put in some solid tackles. He will also get into better positions around the box and probably score even more goals. I can see no wrong in giving him a go in cantral midfield. That is if we can find a decent left winger somewhere.

Lmao!!!

I always thought you had very little knowledge. I was so wrong, you have none!

Playing out wide is TOTALLY different to playing in the middle. Its a totally different game. Wide players play wide for a reason. To suggest this shows you have a serious lack of knowledge and have never played in either position at any standard.

i wish someone would have told houllier that, he tried umpteen central players out wide like murphy, cheyrou and even diao.
i dont think the idea is as nuts as you are making out, riise to me seems like a round peg in a square hole, he has the attributes of a very good player but i wouldnt say he is outstanding as a left back or winger. i think he looks like a player who hasnt defined his role in a side, maybe centre mid is that role. its worth a try.
someone pointed out that he cant tackle, well keep him away from left back then because being able to tackle should be bread and butter to any defender.

Riise has played in central midfield both for his national team and monaco. And performed well.

Last year Carragher was defined as a fullback, look where he is now. Matt Elliot was he a striker or a defender? What about beckham? Is he best on the right or in the centre? What about Alex Fergusson. Is he always wrong when he shifts Neville, O'Shea, Fortune etc from the back into central midfield? Why is he doing that? Is it fair to say that these players add toughness, tackling strenght and warrior skills in the middle of the park? Is it only me, or are there more people out there gettin pizzed off when the midfield break down in every game. Our midfield do not battle for the ball, and Biscan and others are so slow that the opposition just dance around his fat azz. He can't get near the ball. We lose midfield and they just keep putting the pressure on our back 4 until we are dead and buried.

That's a big banana to you monkeys slagging me off. Having superior knowledge and intelligence make me hard to understand for the average man. Pure and simple.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Having a big banana is all very well mate, I wouldn't even dispute it but superior knowledge and intelligence? C'mon  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 pm

Not for me.

He doesnt have the passing or compusure on the ball that is needed, espically in a Rafa's central midfield.

Even as a left sided midfielder he is only filling in, eventually he will go back to leftback.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:00 pm

No not for me too
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:06 pm

for those of you that say riise is a left back...

Dont be ****** stupid

He is an awful defender but a pretty effective winger
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby toxyboy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:31 pm

Riise was a Central Midfielder who could also play at Left Back when Houllier bought him from Monaco, if you remember before the Super Cup against Bayern Munich he was reported to be upset at playing Left Midfield initially
toxyboy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion