It stuff - I'm clueless, me

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:53 am

:D  Appreciate all the advice guys but I like the way the whole thread is degenerating into "how does woolly get smut off his pc?"  :laugh:

It's my own laptop (not a company one) so I can do what I like with it but my personal choice is to steer clear of internet sweat cos I also store loads of client stuff on it and don't want anything getting "cross-infected" if that kind of thing is possible. I also use it all the time with clients sat in front of me so wouldn't want any embarrassing surprises appearing!
:laugh:

PS. Seems to be working all OK this morning guys, that ebay threat seems to have done the trick :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:30 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:You haven't knackered your PC up at all Wool.

I have my PC at a setting whereby every time I close a browser window down in Internet Explorer, it doesn't store the temporary files.

Go to:

Internet Explorer >>>>> Tools >>>>>>> Internet Options >>>>> Advanced >>>>>>>> Security >>>>>>>>

Then ckeck the box Empty Temporary files When browser is Closed

Cookies are a different thing.  Depends if you want them on your PC or not.  I'm not fussed personally but if you're looking at fluff, it's best to flush them away periodically.

some cookies are spy-wares. I've been using yahoo 'pop-up blocker' and 'anti-spy', they're good stuffs, and free too.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:53 pm

I have AdAware on my PC. It costs around $30 US and I think you get a life time licence.

Its excellent as it scans your hard drive and shows you all the dangerous cookies, spyware etc. Its similar to virus software but the advantage is that the company behind it research all the troublesome cookies and adware (i.e. popups and the dreaded home page hijacking software) and its almost 99% guaranteed to clean your PC of browser rubbish.

I highly, highly recommend people to get software like it. Its worth the couple of quid to get it, as it is superb at cleaning our ******.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:58 pm

JBG, I can't believe you paid for that!!!

Get a refund and get it here for free!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Haha nice one Jonnymac :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Spybot Search and Destroy

Use this in tandem with Ad Aware.
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:26 pm

Damn you jonnymac!  :D

I think the version there might be a limited user version.

I got mine about 8 months ago and has worked a treat.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:47 pm

The latest "free" adaware s.e. can be got at www.download.com along with many other programs of different kinds. Another special tiny program to get is Hi-jack this. Ive never had any bother at all since getting it.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:37 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:JBG, I can't believe you paid for that!!!

Get a refund and get it here for free!!!

if i'm not mistaken. once i found that free one also (sh1t) acts as adware too  :angry: (by getting rid of other ads but being adware for their own interest). I found spybot better and free as well.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 am

Anfieldadorer is right: a lot of commercial software can be obtained for "free" from the publishers but you have to endure ads, so often the cure is worse than the sickness.

I paid for Adaware 7 or 8 months ago, $30 (I got a good exchange rate on it) and honetly, it was one of the best investments I've made. Previously my browser was being hijacked and I was re-directed away from certain sites I wanted to visit by nasty trojan software. Now my PC is clean as a whistle.

Paying a few quid for a quality firewall, anti-virus and anti-ad/pop-up blockers is highly worth it. Google pop-up is good and free, but certain websites are able to hack it and bypass it, so its not water tight.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:46 am

I have a blind spot when it comes to the tech aspect of pc's , my lad does all my maintenance for me , he's downloaded for free AD-Aware ,SpyBot and Avast Anti Virus. which I run a couple of times a week.PC runs like a dream , no problems at all. 
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:18 pm

For those who haven't had any spyware installed on your PC, you should try this it's a beta version of spyware from microsoft, yet pretty reliable enough and worth trying and completely free! Have your pop up turned off for a while if any to enable the installation. Good luck!
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum