Fa's ban and fine on rio ferdinand - General discussion

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:35 am

People, what do you think of the 50,000 quid fine and the 8 months ban on Rio Ferdinand by the FA for deliberately missing a mandatory drugs test? I know a lot of you would have read this news with glee because he ia a Man U player but, objectively, what do you think of this ban?
I think 8 monyhs is a bit too stiff but bear in mind Ferdinand did deliberately skip the mandatory teats and claimed that "he forgot".
This represents to some extent the arrogant attitude of today's millionaire players who get hefty pay packets at a way too young age and believe too much in their own hype as "superstars".
Perhaps some of them should take a leaf out of the professionalism of people like Gary Lineker, who if I recall correctly, was never booked in his professional career. Another good example is Raul of Real Madrid - you never any tales of his wayward behaviour off-pitch and he is a model professional with world class skills, pride, determination, commitment and leadership skills.
Perhaps some of the Liverpool players can shed off the unnecessary prima donna and "superstar" attitude and take more responsibility especially when they pull on the famous red shirt and play for Liverpool.
OK, let's not get side tracked. What say you all on this matter?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:10 am

JUST THINK WHAT HE MIGHT HAVE GOT IF HE TURNED UP FOR THE TEST I THINK THERES A REASON FOR THAT SO MAYBE HE GOT OFF LIGHTLY
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:29 pm

To be fined a weeks wages is pitiful.The ban is ok but on appeal I hope the FA increase it to 12 months.I think the clubs should be made accoutable for their players as well.If a player is found to have banned drugs in his system the club should be docked points.I'm sure they would get their act together then and do drug tests themselves to stop any possibility of players falling foul of performance enhancing or recreational drugs.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ROBtheRED » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:16 pm

Have no sympathy for Rio Ferdinand at all, he can't expect to miss a drug test and just get a slap on the wrists, and i know the manc fans will point out that a man city player did the same thing last year but that was in different circumstances and Rio is a higher profile player and earns probably 10 times the amount what the city player does so he has a responsibility as a role model for youngsters,to himself, his club and his country.   
I do concede there are other people to blame. The drug testers should never have allowed a player to have the opputunity to miss the test, The FA should and could have dealt with it far quicker and also Manchester Utd who are most to blame for delaying the hearing subsequently letting FIFA have opinions and making it harder for the FA to be leniant. I'm glad they will miss their best defender for 8 months but as an England fan disappointed that we will lose him for Euro2004 - which if we want to win we need all our best players!
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:15 am

i think when he appeals he should get the ban reduced to 8 hours and have his wages doubled for the inconvenience ,
also he should get a Xmas card off the FA containing a £10 WH Smiths voucher.
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Dom1 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:31 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS A FUNNY GUY ISNT HE PEOPLE, I JUST HAVE TO ADMIT (AGAIN) . :D

BUT STRANGELY I THINK HE IS RIGHT BECAUSE WHEN THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS BEGIN HE WILL BE A VITAL LOSS TO THE ENGLAND SQUAD AND WILL BE MISSED!

DOM1
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby supersub » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:09 pm

He won't be missed.Another over-rated player...£30 million my a#se..more like 3 lines of coke.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby wiped » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:28 pm

supersub wrote:He won't be missed.Another over-rated player...£30 million my a#se..more like 3 lines of coke.

well said ........ extremely over-rated player ..... and I don't buy that "I forgot" excuse either .... bag of sh##e excuse and if you ask me he should have got 12 months.
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:52 pm

It will be interesting to see if football signs up to the anti-doping agreement. Apparently football will be excluded from the Olympics and any other sport that doesn't conform. It will be a bit of a joke if football doesn't sign up after Sepp Blatter got involved in the Ferdinand affair

Personally I think the standard punishment should be/have been 12 months and a £100k fine to be split between club and player. Not because it was Ferdinand, not because it was man utd but because it will deter drug cheats who think "forgetting" might be a viable excuse and use it to get off lightly. Saying that, those who have been caught by the drug testing have been let off lightly in the past and that is also wrong
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion