crystal palace v LIVERPOOL Sun 23rd Jan 2.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:28 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:52 pm wrote:Am I the only one who actually thinks our pen was a pen? The way some pundits have been going on you’d swear it was the worst decision in the history of the game or something.
Some of them seem to be pointing to the fact that Jota didn’t have the ball under control, what the hell has that got to do with anything? You don’t need to be in possession of the ball to be fouled, you can be fouled off the ball.
The one doubt I had about it was that Jota seemed to take a little step towards the keeper just before they came together but when the camera panned back to show a wider view of the incident their keeper did far more to initiate the incident than Diogo did.
Remember when Calvert-Lewin won a pen against us when he tripped over a prone Trent who way laying on the floor even though the ball was miles away? If that was a pen then Jota’s was deffo a pen.

I don’t get the hysteria either, it was not a 100% penalty  nor was it a 100% non penalty. Keeper definitely came out along way, there was definite contact that impeded the player, Jota definitely lost control with a bad touch and it is debatable whether he would have reached the ball before it went out of play. Basically it was a tight decision and not worthy of the hysteria. If given there would have been complaints and if not given we would have said “what can we do to win a penalty”. I’ve seen a lot worse decisions than that penalty.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Media having a ball ache like palace were denied a chance to enter a final or something.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:03 am

I thought it was a terrible decision and can only describe how I would feel if it had of went the other way. If we ended up drawing that game at 2.2 and it was a pen like that what enabled them to equalise we would all be cracking up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 am

red till i die!! » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:52 am wrote:There was a few posts here last week about City cheating by getting decisions and even brown envelopes flying around. What do you think the Palace fans are saying about us today?. They are 2.1 down at home and are playing well. Then that is given closing the door on any hope of getting a point.

Not even remotely close mate, come on. First of all, City got "questionable" decisions going their way in at least three different games in December alone (arguably the most important period of the season). Secondly, I can't see how people can talk like it's the worse decision ever given. It was a very harsh penalty for sure and probably shouldn't have been given but there were definitely elements of one, the goalie did look like he crashed into Jota, on the slow-mo at least. And finally, it wasn't even a game changing decision, it's not like Palace were denied a win or a draw, they still had to score to get anything out of the game and they were running out of time. Sure they were threatening a lot, but they might have not scored at all. City on the other hand got most of their questionable decisions in crucial moments and those decisions changed the outcome of the games entirely.

Here's the most blatant example of what I'm saying.

In this game against Arsenal, they got not one but two ridiculous decisions that gave them not one but the full three points! First, Arsenal are denied a stonewall penalty, absolutely ridiculous how VAR didn't change the decision and even more ridiculous how some pundits and media defended the decision compared to how they're reacting to our situation. And that wasn't enough, a draw wasn't enough for City so they decided to give them the penalty as well to win them the game (our penalty wasn't match winning). Before that you have the Wolves game where they gave City a pen to again win the game because of a nonexistent handball and then there was the Newcastle game where Newcastle weren't given a clear penalty while the game was still level (or they would have made it level after potentially scoring the pen, don't remember). And all of this is in December alone! What did we get in December? The Spurs match.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:46 pm

damjan193 wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:52 am wrote:There was a few posts here last week about City cheating by getting decisions and even brown envelopes flying around. What do you think the Palace fans are saying about us today?. They are 2.1 down at home and are playing well. Then that is given closing the door on any hope of getting a point.

Not even remotely close mate, come on. First of all, City got "questionable" decisions going their way in at least three different games in December alone (arguably the most important period of the season). Secondly, I can't see how people can talk like it's the worse decision ever given. It was a very harsh penalty for sure and probably shouldn't have been given but there were definitely elements of one, the goalie did look like he crashed into Jota, on the slow-mo at least. And finally, it wasn't even a game changing decision, it's not like Palace were denied a win or a draw, they still had to score to get anything out of the game and they were running out of time. Sure they were threatening a lot, but they might have not scored at all. City on the other hand got most of their questionable decisions in crucial moments and those decisions changed the outcome of the games entirely.

Here's the most blatant example of what I'm saying.

In this game against Arsenal, they got not one but two ridiculous decisions that gave them not one but the full three points! First, Arsenal are denied a stonewall penalty, absolutely ridiculous how VAR didn't change the decision and even more ridiculous how some pundits and media defended the decision compared to how they're reacting to our situation. And that wasn't enough, a draw wasn't enough for City so they decided to give them the penalty as well to win them the game (our penalty wasn't match winning). Before that you have the Wolves game where they gave City a pen to again win the game because of a nonexistent handball and then there was the Newcastle game where Newcastle weren't given a clear penalty while the game was still level (or they would have made it level after potentially scoring the pen, don't remember). And all of this is in December alone! What did we get in December? The Spurs match.

Yes City have got questionable decisions that they shouldn't have but somehow its OK if we get one. That was never a penalty.  The keeper clearly pulls his arms back as to not make contact and Jota clearly steps right into him. Var should not be giving that and the ref wasn't giving it either until he was made change his mind. We would have been on here going absolute mental mate if it had of went against us.

At 2.1 the game is never over. Anything can happen and
I personally wasn't that confident that we were cruising and going to see it out anyway. Would we give up at 2.1 down and again how would you feel if any hope of sneaking a draw got taken away from us over a decision like that. I think that is the cause behind a lot of the shyte from the media.

We all have red glasses mate and yes those decisions City have got are bizarre and raise questions about the integrity of some calls but that penalty was right up there with them for me. I'd prefer we didn't get it tbh and seen the game out at 2.1.  Maybe I'm just old school or something but I don't believe the game owes us anything other than proper fair neutral refereeing. The rest is up to us.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Ffs mate we all know the arguments but with the VAR system that we currently have it is very much a case of what comes around goes around !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:56 pm

Mate I agree that ours wasn't a pen, but I stand by what I said about City. IMO they have benefited far more often from ref decisions and in far worse scenarios than us, and on top of that they've rarely sufferd from bad decisions themselves (as opposed to us). So in my view it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility that they've payed people off.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games