crystal palace v LIVERPOOL Sun 23rd Jan 2.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:54 pm

Hard earned 3 points today...we keep the heat on while without Salah, Mane and Keita
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:58 pm

Alisson also saved our bacon today. MOTM performance
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 pm wrote:Alisson also saved our bacon today. MOTM performance

That save from the back heel from 2 yards was exceptional
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:08 pm

Lucky to get the 3 points but the win keeps us in the race. Alisson MOTM, but also worth mentioning Robbo with the 2 assists now has 8 in the last 8 games.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:17 pm

FK Me ! cruising in the first 30 minutes . what the f*ck happened after that ? .

Think we used up a lot of our "luck" today.

Thank f*ck Ali was at his best, because at times the rest of the defense were all over the place.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Fantastic for the first 30 minutes then they seem to go on holiday early. I’m disappointed we never kept a clean sheet and we were certainly hanging on. Thought both Matip and VVD were sloppy. Three points in the bag and pressure on city.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:34 pm

kazza » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:25 pm wrote:Fantastic for the first 30 minutes then they seem to go on holiday early. I’m disappointed we never kept a clean sheet and we were certainly hanging on. Thought both Matip and VVD were sloppy. Three points in the bag and pressure on city.

Re-Matip , not been at his best in recent outings . Maybe the fella needs a rest ?
Would like to see Konate given more of a run out.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm

This team once again showing their metal in the face of adversity,beat Brentford comfortably and on Thursday night we reached a cup final then today we closed the gap on City to 9 points with a game in hand all without our two main strikers and bereft of any real game changers in the middle. This team and this manager never fail to surprise me. We could have easily capitulated if we had listened to the pundits intent on writing us off without Salah ,Mane ,Keita AFCON and Thiago through injury for a month.This teams resilience astounds me at times. I think earlier for those 35 mins it was the best we've played for some time and that includes games with Salah and Mane being inclusive ,Palace just couldn't get near us and our passages of play in the build ups were a joy to behold.

Unfortunately they all looked dead on their feet for the second half and Thursdays exertions had a profound effect on our energy levels ,so thank God we shelled out for a World Class goalkeeper ,because keepers like Alisson save so many points over the duration of a season.

Two weeks off now ,but for once its welcomed ,we need to reintroduce a playmaker to that midfield and see the return of pace at the front with Salah and Mane.

Proud of the Redmen  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 pm

That was a great result and a really important one at that. We need to keep digging out the wins as that's how they will feel the pressure.

We were a lot better in the first half and had a good lead only to again look vulnerable. Ali pulled off some serious saves to keep us ahead and for that gets my MOTM.  We have to learn to adapt during games when having a decent size lead. Not just taking the foot off but tactically tightening things up. To me it looks like some of our lads think it's done and dusted so they lose the intensity they started the game with.  Its also a lot to maintain that level of pressing for 90 minutes and especially when there is no need to but its what the system requires.  Sometimes we would be better off going one up top and throwing an extra 2 bodies into midfield to see it out.

Great header from Virg for the opener. Absolute bullet. Delighted for Ox as well getting on the scoresheet but didn't think he played that good.

We have a 2 week break now and we will hopefully have everyone back fit by the time we go again. Going to need them as games will be coming fast.  We also have a final thrown in the middle  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 am

Am I the only one who actually thinks our pen was a pen? The way some pundits have been going on you’d swear it was the worst decision in the history of the game or something.
Some of them seem to be pointing to the fact that Jota didn’t have the ball under control, what the hell has that got to do with anything? You don’t need to be in possession of the ball to be fouled, you can be fouled off the ball.
The one doubt I had about it was that Jota seemed to take a little step towards the keeper just before they came together but when the camera panned back to show a wider view of the incident their keeper did far more to initiate the incident than Diogo did.
Remember when Calvert-Lewin won a pen against us when he tripped over a prone Trent who way laying on the floor even though the ball was miles away? If that was a pen then Jota’s was deffo a pen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:16 am

Started off really well but then let Palace back in the game. Has we not got the peno Palace would have definitely had the motivation to equalise.

Anyhow, what matters now is the 3 points and closing the gap on City. At least lets make City sweat a little and give them a fight.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:52 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:Am I the only one who actually thinks our pen was a pen? The way some pundits have been going on you’d swear it was the worst decision in the history of the game or something.
Some of them seem to be pointing to the fact that Jota didn’t have the ball under control, what the hell has that got to do with anything? You don’t need to be in possession of the ball to be fouled, you can be fouled off the ball.
The one doubt I had about it was that Jota seemed to take a little step towards the keeper just before they came together but when the camera panned back to show a wider view of the incident their keeper did far more to initiate the incident than Diogo did.
Remember when Calvert-Lewin won a pen against us when he tripped over a prone Trent who way laying on the floor even though the ball was miles away? If that was a pen then Jota’s was deffo a pen.

Never a pen for me Yakka and imo the ref was forced to give it. He lost control after a bad touch and took a clear step to his right into the keeper. You can see the keeper coming out sliding but then pulls out as Jota makes a bad touch. He then stepped right and threw himself over the keeper looking for it.

There was a few posts here last week about City cheating by getting decisions and even brown envelopes flying around. What do you think the Palace fans are saying about us today?. They are 2.1 down at home and are playing well. Then that is given closing the door on any hope of getting a point.

Calvert lewins penalty was absolutely ridiculous Mate but this was right up there with it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm

I always look to see where the ball is and whether the player would have been able to make a shot if it hadn't been for the actions of the other player. From what I see from Jota, the ball goes straight, he veers right and comes into contact with the keeper. I don't think that ball was playable, Jota lost the ball. No penalty.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Reg I’m not sure. Penalties have been given for less. What bewilders me is this CLEAR and OBVIOUS error rule. VAR a lot of the time is total nonsense. How can it be a CLEAR and OBVIOUS error when the so-called offence has to be forensically examined for several minutes. If something is CLEAR and OBVIOUS it should take no longer than 30 seconds maximum to deliberate.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:52 pm wrote:Am I the only one who actually thinks our pen was a pen? The way some pundits have been going on you’d swear it was the worst decision in the history of the game or something.

I thought it was a pen ,but Palace fans and manager saying that was the turning point is  not really being truthful. It was the 88th min Liverpool had managed to wrestle back a touch of control and Palace looked out of ideas ,we're leading 1-2 and I honestly feel we were more than capable in hanging on to the result for 8 mins. Listening to the pundits you would think another Palace goal was inevitable had it not been for the penalty. I don't think Palace had an effort on target or off for at least 10 mins before the penalty decision ,quite simply they looked as spent as us.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games