NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:34 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:29 pm wrote:If we had never sold Coutinho for £140m would FSG backed Klopp enough for us to actually win the trophies we won? I don't think we'd have bought anyone in the caliber of Alisson/VanDijk.. and without those 2 we wouldn't have won what we won.

Did we not look to buy VVD the summer before we actually bought him
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Not sure whether this is positive for the doom and gloomers or for the folks who say the owners are doing a good job.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 4101611526
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 am

devaney » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:54 am wrote:Penguins are you on drugs ?? You actually wrote this shight “ These swine will show their true colours more and more and after another transfer window with crickets they'll make it clear they can't and won't take the club forward” You’ve never given FSG credit for anything but to actually suggest that they can’t and won’t take the club forward is verging on the downright fkg ridiculous. What do you think they have done for the last ten years? In the next breath you are idiotically suggesting that they are waiting for an offer of £5b before they sell. Well if they are incapable of driving the club forward as you suggest then how the fk is the value going to increase to £5b?

Sigh, how short is your memory?

Between 2010 and 2015 the club was really going NOWHERE!
And huge questions were being asked of how poorly the owners were running the club.
Between 2010-2016 the club finshed 7th, 6th, 8th, 7th 2nd, 6th, 8th and the club signed players like

Stuart Downing, Henderson, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Joe Allen, Sturridge, Borini, Aspas, Sakho, Mignolet, Luis Alberto, Lallana, Lovren, markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, Benteke etc

It was an unmitigated disaster and if wehadn't sold a players like Torres and Suarez there would had been zero money. We weren't close to winning anything and the onwers did sweet f all.

And then in 2015 they did the only good thing they've done(a broken watch is right twice a day) and hired Klopp. And the team started performing better and player's values increased.
Kopp has worked miricales having spent just above 100 million more than he's sold for during HIS ENTIRE TENURE! disgusing just how inept the owners are.
AROUND 20 MILLION season is F******' JOKE but because Klopp has worked miracles the owners, who are just as inept in 2010-2015 as they have been between 2015-2021 with the difference that Klopp is here.
I'm not looking forward to it but reality will dawn once he leaves....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks Reg for sharing. Interesting stuff. It’s a little bit like the Quran - it’s all about interpretation.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Penguins » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:06 am wrote:
devaney » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:54 am wrote:Penguins are you on drugs ?? You actually wrote this shight “ These swine will show their true colours more and more and after another transfer window with crickets they'll make it clear they can't and won't take the club forward” You’ve never given FSG credit for anything but to actually suggest that they can’t and won’t take the club forward is verging on the downright fkg ridiculous. What do you think they have done for the last ten years? In the next breath you are idiotically suggesting that they are waiting for an offer of £5b before they sell. Well if they are incapable of driving the club forward as you suggest then how the fk is the value going to increase to £5b?

Sigh, how short is your memory?

Between 2010 and 2015 the club was really going NOWHERE!
And huge questions were being asked of how poorly the owners were running the club.
Between 2010-2016 the club finshed 7th, 6th, 8th, 7th 2nd, 6th, 8th and the club signed players like

Stuart Downing, Henderson, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Joe Allen, Sturridge, Borini, Aspas, Sakho, Mignolet, Luis Alberto, Lallana, Lovren, markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, Benteke etc

It was an unmitigated disaster and if wehadn't sold a players like Torres and Suarez there would had been zero money. We weren't close to winning anything and the onwers did sweet f all.

And then in 2015 they did the only good thing they've done(a broken watch is right twice a day) and hired Klopp. And the team started performing better and player's values increased.
Kopp has worked miricales having spent just above 100 million more than he's sold for during HIS ENTIRE TENURE! disgusing just how inept the owners are.
AROUND 20 MILLION season is F******' JOKE but because Klopp has worked miracles the owners, who are just as inept in 2010-2015 as they have been between 2015-2021 with the difference that Klopp is here.
I'm not looking forward to it but reality will dawn once he leaves....

Mate I appreciate your detailed response but to be honest it only tells part of the story. It wasn’t going to be an easy task to rebuild LFC after the diabolical mess that H & G left us in. Shortly after FSG arrived they had to rectify H & G’s parting gift of Roy Hodgson. FSG bowed to the fans demands, wrongly in my opinion as I said at the time, and appointed Kenny Dalglish. Unfortunately that didn’t quite work out and Rogers was appointed in 2012 until he was sacked in 2015. On 30th January 2013 Rogers was part of the buying committee, who I admit weren’t great, that bought Philippe Coutinho. Rogers in 2014 also came very close to winning the league and yet you suggest that FSG weren’t close to winning anything. The following two years didn’t work out for Rogers and FSG quickly responded by appointing Klopp. Had FSG lacked the ambition you suggest then surely they would have stuck with a manager that finished the league 6th and 8th in his last two seasons which would certainly have satisfied the demand of many Premiership clubs.

FSG as well as appointing Klopp realised that change was needed and promoting Edwards has certainly proved to be a considerable success. A change of CEO was another key appointment. FSG permitted LFC to reinvest all the money from the sales of Torres, Suarez and Coutinho. Once again this suggests that they were not simply all about the money and success on the field of play was also a key criteria.

You don’t develop a £300m business that was in a very sorry state into a hugely successful entity valued at £2.5/3.0 billion by simply appointing Klopp and he would be the first to admit that. FSG deserve considerably more credit than some people are prepared to give them. I am the first to admit that they have made mistakes but those mistakes pale into insignificance compared with their successes or do we simply just ignore winning the league for the first time in 30 years or winning the EC/CL for the 6th and very nearly the 7th time !! Let’s not forget that they have also spent circa £200m on ground and academy development. Negotiating deal with high quality commercial partners is another area of considerable success. To suggest that FSG can be compared to the old adage that a stopped clock is right twice a day is just a little bit desperate. Desperately stupid that is !! Sorry mate but you did load the gun !!

I’m beginning to think that yourself and other FSG haters would almost prefer that the club failed simply to satisfy their own somewhat warped agenda. Just take a look at what Man United have spent over the last 10 years and just what have they achieved. Numerous failed managerial appointments and no league titles. Spending ridiculous amounts in the transfer market is no guarantee of success !! Having said that do I think we should have done more and brought in some new players? I would have liked us to have done more in the transfer market but I’m certainly not going to become overly concerned at this stage. I prefer to try and keep the faith and look at what has been achieved in the last decade instead of bemoaning our future.

Perhaps I should finish by asking you the same question: Just how short is your memory ??
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:11 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 am

There's a lot of politics in the air at the moment.

Articles by the respected Swiss Rambler, the Times, Telegraph, tabloids, the Echo all basically saying that LFC are falling behind the spending power of other clubs and that our future success is in doubt.  My pals are convinced FSG have lost interest.

Kinda reminds me of when the Moores family could take it no further.

There's no smoke without fire so I suspect there's something going on in the background. Maybe they want to sell, maybe John Henry is old and wants to step back but - is FSG a one generation company, or is there a succession plan for the company to continue. Why does Michael Edwards want to leave, seems Klopp will defo leave in 2024.

It appears something is in the air but we sure don't know what.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Or the reality is that we need to wait to get a full season of commercial income to provide the club a better platform , need to get through the pandemic first
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:25 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am

I have  tried to stand by our owners who undoubtedly have done some very good work however it is extremely difficult to defend their lack of player investment. Last night against Arsenal in a cup semi final clearly demonstrated that we have zero strength in depth. In net terms we have spent next to nothing compared to the other major teams in Europe. We failed to capitalise on winning the CL and the league at a time when any player would have been interested in joining Liverpool.
Last edited by devaney on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:58 am

I've been a long term supporter of FSG and they've turned the club around, brought in a superb manager and rebuilt the stadium. However I have to agree with Dev, the reliance on academy youngsters is no excuse for solid talent and experience and clinging on to deadwood is completely counter productive. We've been linked with Adama Traore for years and it's never come to anything but he could have replaced half a dozen of the players last night and provided a real goal threat. Minamino, Hendo, Milly, Bobby were all just passengers last night, TAA and Robbo half hearted crosses than never went above chest height. We need to roll out the deadwoods and bring in youngsters willing to bust a gut.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:28 am

We have been linked to so many players since Klopp came, we just have to read the rumor thread to see all the names, almost always we never got the player and many complained about the owners. Thinking back I don’t really remember any of those players ever amounting to anything of note, not better than we have anyway. We were supposed to get Werner, Pepe, Aubameyang just to name a few of so many and did we really need those players? At the time it seemed we did but now looking back I’d say we dodged many bullets. It is possible that Traore is not fancied by Klopp despite whatever he may say in public. Our “Moneyball” strategy has worked well for us so far, why have we lost faith in it. We will see now though whether it was Klopp’s eye for a player or our soon to depart Michael Edwards’, who will go to a rival team with our whole transfer strategy, It was actually Edwards that recruited Klopp. For me, Edwards leaving has more uncertainty than our aging forward line because if it is really Edwards that unearthed our great team of unknown gems (relatively unknown at least), then he would be harder to replace than Mo Salah, next couple of years will tell.

Just saw photos of the new stand construction progressing nicely, which with all the talk of our owners being stingy I forgot about. They will take Anfield from 43,000 to 60,000 in their tenure and along with the new world class training facility is going to do more for the long term future of the club than buying or net spend on players (for now). What we are is afraid of the future because we see change will be needed to evolve, to be fair though, the owners earned the right to be given time to see how they will manage this next transitional stage as they have improved the club historically. The only clubs that spent in this last revenue affected couple of years were the “money bags” clubs, which we are not one. We are however a very well run club and I don’t see why these owners can’t take us forward and keep us an elite club. So far you would have to say that they have managed.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 am

I agree with what you say Kazza. Player wise, the media have linked us to players, the club has not mentioned we're after a single player since Klopp arrived so it's all media driven. If they don't start rumours then folks won't read their papers.

Stadium and training ground investment has been superb and I hope the Kemlyn Road stand will be next to be expanded as soon as possible. I see no reason for Anfield not to hold 70,000 fans.

That said, income to pay for these facilities is linked to success on the field where sponsorship related bonuses are greatly boosted when we're successful so the club cannot ignore the squad situation. LFC have been very lucky to assemble our current squad relatively cheaply but we cannot assume that we'll continue to find Robbos, TAA's and Milners on an ongoing basis, they are the exception not the rule. City pay on average 50-60 million for a player. I don't think that's unreasonable to get the right quality. The problem is LFC are sitting on 4-5-6 players in our squad today who shouldn't be there and another 2-3-4 who are getting old and need to be rolled. Suddenly we're looking at maybe 8 players at 50 million = 400 million whereas City continue to invest 50-70m a year and have a top squad.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 am

FSG are building on the stadium to generate more money for themselves in the long run. They are businessmen using the the Liverpool brand to make them loads of money.

They tried to trademark Liverpool but were rightfully denied. They tried to make a superleague they were denied. They tried charging ridiculous ticket prices and that turned against them.

Every thing they do is to make money ... we have everything in the club with a sponsor on it including the mens urinal.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion