Leeds UTD Vs Liverpool Sun 12th Sept @16.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm

I can't comment much about the team performance, only to wish  Elliott a full and speedy recovery from that bad injury, it was awful!
Wasteful front players, however, Fabinho and Thiago were outstanding players, along with  Elliott until his injury, he will be a big loss to us.

Good luck lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby Eagle » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm

He leapt in with a scissor challenge with two feet off the ground. It was a red card all day long and I'm shocked some people are still staying it was harsh.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:44 pm

damjan193 wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am wrote:Refs cant be protecting smaller or younger players in a professional league for men. Football is a contact sport at the end of the day.

That's true, I agree with that 100%. However, even though we've had some good tacklers over the years and still do right now, when was the last time our own players broke someone's foot or made someone suffer a serious injury with their tackles?

We have had some serious tough lads that would go through you for the ball over the years but I wouldnt remember if any of them broke bones although I am sure one or two did.

The point is these things happen and there has been a few broken legs over the last few seasons and it's part and parcel of the game. In the grand scheme of things it's rare that it happens when you consider the amount of teams and players involved on a weekly basis.

There is a link to the video but it's only from one angle. To the right there is a video of Redknapp discussing it with the panel after the game. They dont show the injury but they do show the collision from better angles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oy1kUnIz7ko

If Elliot gets up then no one is even talking about this. It's a foul alright and the result is horrific but the challenge wasnt. It was the trailing leg that caught him after he won the ball. Salah was even playing on till he seen the injury.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Physicality is part of the game as these are athletes, “give him a kick and slow him down” should never be a part of the game. As I said, I’d rather watch a small skillful player than a bruiser who’s only skill snuffing out the skillful ones.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:21 am

Sorry Kazza but that is nonsense. You are claiming the lad deliberately done him in which isnt true.  Elliot is even saying he shouldn't have been sent off.

I can only think that your emotion is running high because our youngest brightest player got an injury and the lack of replays is clouding your judgement. It's easy to get the wrong end of the stick when you see a challenge at speed and then the only image you see after it is a young lad rolling around the ground with his ankle dislocated.

Cynical fouling is a part of the game and always has been. It will always be like this and part of it Is coached. If a lad beats you on the half way line and is through on goal you are going to pull him back or trip him up. If you dont and he scores then your manager wont be long asking why you didnt take one for the team.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:05 am

Struijk had no intention of hurting Elliott and may have even made contact with the ball after making contact with Elliott, but both points are irrelevant. Struijk goes in from behind recklessly and endangers the safety of the opponent. That's a red card all day long and 4th official who was standing right in front of it agreed and advised the referee to send him off.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

May have even made contact with the ball  :laugh:  did you even watch the replays Eagle ?.

He tackles him from the side wins the ball and then catches him with his left leg.  He puts his right foot in front of Harvey to hook the ball out of his path and rolls off him and that's when his trailing leg catches him.  He never tackled from behind, it was from the side.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm

You on the sauce again Barry  :D

The red card was given for serious foul play - specifically the intensity of the challenge and endangering the safety of an opponent. This wasn't a sliding tackle along the floor from a player running in from the side. Struijk ran in from behind and jumped in to make the tackle, meaning he has no control, especially his trailing leg. The intensity of the tackle and the fact the movement seriously endangers the safety of Elliot is why he got the red card.

Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Seriously Mate, look at the first picture and he is alongside eliot with the ball out in front. Hes perfectly entitled to challenge for that. Then you put up 2 others after the tackle where you cant see the ball because the lad won it.  He never came through the back of him. He puts his foot in for a ball that he was entitled to go for, gets the ball and as he is turning back towards our goal his trailing leg catches harvey.

Honestly have a look at the images sky show in the panel discussion after the match.  The angle facing the players will clear it up for you.

:laugh: @ the sauce reference but who the fook is Barry ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:57 pm wrote:May have even made contact with the ball  :laugh:  did you even watch the replays Eagle ?.

He tackles him from the side wins the ball and then catches him with his left leg.  He puts his right foot in front of Harvey to hook the ball out of his path and rolls off him and that's when his trailing leg catches him.  He never tackled from behind, it was from the side.

Its irrelevant whether he went in from the side or behind, he went in with both feet off the ground, his left foot may have connected with the ball but he went through Elliot. Red card all day that.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:12 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 am wrote:Sorry Kazza but that is nonsense. You are claiming the lad deliberately done him in which isnt true.  Elliot is even saying he shouldn't have been sent off.

I can only think that your emotion is running high because our youngest brightest player got an injury and the lack of replays is clouding your judgement. It's easy to get the wrong end of the stick when you see a challenge at speed and then the only image you see after it is a young lad rolling around the ground with his ankle dislocated.

Cynical fouling is a part of the game and always has been. It will always be like this and part of it Is coached. If a lad beats you on the half way line and is through on goal you are going to pull him back or trip him up. If you dont and he scores then your manager wont be long asking why you didnt take one for the team.

I’m not talking about that tackle, I’ve seen it now on a replay and although he did not go to specifically hurt him he did go in recklessly and deserved the red. My comment was a general one where I don’t want muscle to suffocate skill, I’d much rather watch skill.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Harvey 1.JPG
Harvey 1.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 788 times

There is a better image which shows he was clearly alongside Elliot and not behind him. That is a perfect challenge shown in that image and exactly the way it should have gone off. Scissor Tackles, Going straight through the lad from behind are just ridiculous statements and untrue.  Go and look at Sons tackle on Gomez which was actually from behind and with intent and see the difference.

Leeds have launched an appeal against it so we will have to wait and see what the independent panel decide.

I don't like leeds myself or their fans but the lad didn't deserve a straight red for that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Boocity » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:57 pm wrote:May have even made contact with the ball  :laugh:  did you even watch the replays Eagle ?.

Its irrelevant whether he went in from the side or behind, he went in with both feet off the ground, his left foot may have connected with the ball but he went through Elliot. Red card all day that.

For real Boo ?  of course it matters if you go in from the side or behind and it was his right foot that connected with the ball not his left.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm wrote:
Harvey 1.JPG

There is a better image which shows he was clearly alongside Elliot and not behind him. That is a perfect challenge shown in that image and exactly the way it should have gone off. Scissor Tackles, Going straight through the lad from behind are just ridiculous statements and untrue.  Go and look at Sons tackle on Gomez which was actually from behind and with intent and see the difference.

Leeds have launched an appeal against it so we will have to wait and see what the independent panel decide.

I don't like leeds myself or their fans but the lad didn't deserve a straight red for that.

Once a player goes flying in to a tackle with both feet off the ground he is no longer in control and reckless, he should not be surprised to receive a red card. I’m sure his red card will be upheld. It is clear in the photo that even though he may get the ball first, the fact he has both feet in the air, his follow through is likely to go through the player and cause injury and that is what happened. It does not deserve a ten match ban for deliberately trying to injure a player but it is reckless and deserving of a red card.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 pm

kazza wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm wrote:
Harvey 1.JPG

Once a player goes flying in to a tackle with both feet off the ground he is no longer in control and reckless, he should not be surprised to receive a red card. I’m sure his red card will be upheld. It is clear in the photo that even though he may get the ball first, the fact he has both feet in the air, his follow through is likely to go through the player and cause injury and that is what happened. It does not deserve a ten match ban for deliberately trying to injure a player but it is reckless and deserving of a red card.

I agree 100% with you Kazza about players flying in both feet off the ground but this wasn't one of them. He might have both feet off the ground for a second but he went in and won the ball one footed. He was trying to win possession and turn play back on our goal and its impossible to do that without rotating your body. That's where the foul is and the unfortunate incident happened when his left leg sweeps round and catches Harvey just above the ankle. He wasn't even looking in his direction and his right foot is planted when the leg comes round and contact  was made. 2 inchs lower and he clips his boot or 1 more second and misses him completely.

I dont think Harvey was fully aware what was behind him and got his pocket picked. He was head up looking forward and wasn't expecting it. I don't think it was really hard contact either but it just happened to connect just above the back of his ankle and thats why I think it was a dislocation rather than a break.

It's just one of those challenges that you could see a thousand times without the same result. I feel really sorry for the lad myself that he will miss most of the season now and its going to be hard on him given the progress he has made but he will bounce back and get his chance again. He has had surgery today and by all reports it was a success so give it a week or two till the swelling goes down and they can properly assess to see if there is any ligament damage. There was nothing mentioned on the report I heard so with any luck he will be back around february.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games