LIVERPOOL v's Atletico M  Wed 11.Mch 8.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:05 am

Liverpool need to win by 2 clear goals to go through to the last 8 having lost to AM in the first leg 1-0 when AM played a 6-3-1 formation. Logic suggests that AM with one of the best defensive records in CL will park the bus and play for the draw.

Liverpool are without Alisson with a hip injury however captain Jordan Henderson is fit to return for the last 16 second leg.Hopefully his return will restore some discipline and bite into the Midfield. L'pool's front 3 have looked tired in the last few weeks but will need to put in a superman performance to take advantage of the few opportunities that may come their way. Gomez will return to CB allowing Lovren to return to the Under 11's team and Robbo will return at LB, returning Milly to the bench for a well deserved rest.

Klopp is calling for a big  atmosphere from the Anfield crowd to help the lads overcome AM, but at the end of the day, no goals - no cigar. The good news is that Atletico have only won three of their previous 11 games in all competitions and sit outside the Champions League places in La Liga. We said the same about Watford......

Liverpool have never lost against Atletico Madrid at Anfield in two previous European meetings, drawing 1-1 in the Champions League group stage in 2008-09 and winning 2-1 in the second leg of the Europa League semi-final in 2009-10.

Seven of Atletico's 13 visits to England have ended as draws (W2 D7 L4), with Los Colchoneros unbeaten in their last four matches there (W1 D3) since that Liverpool defeat in April 2010.

On each of the last two occasions Liverpool have lost away from home in the first leg of a Champions League knockout match, they have progressed to the next round - against Chelsea and Barcelona in the semi-finals in 2006-07 and 2018-19.

Atletico have progressed from four of their five previous Champions League knockout ties when winning the first leg, failing only in last season's last 16 tie against Juventus (2-0 first leg, 0-3 second leg).

Jurgen Klopp is yet to lose a home Champions League game with Liverpool (W11 D4).

If Liverpool go out, it would be the first time since a run of four seasons between 2004-05 and 2007-08 that the Champions League holders have failed to go beyond the last 16 in consecutive seasons, with Real Madrid having going out at this stage last season against Ajax.

Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino has been directly involved in seven goals in five Champions League knockout appearances at Anfield (three goals, four assists), averaging a goal or assist every 54 minutes.

Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak has conceded only 37 goals in his first 49 Champions League appearances; the record for fewest goals conceded by a goalkeeper in his first 50 appearances is held by Dida (35), followed by Victor Valdes (38).

ALL TO PLAY FOR, COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!   :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am

The score has to be 3 - 1 or more as they will score a goal, Adrian doesn't do clean sheets. I'll take it though... we must progress.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 am

This is not going to be easy but we are talking European football and Liverpool football club.  Simeone’s antics in Madrid won’t help him at Anfield. We’ve overcome more difficult tasks than this one. Atletico really aren’t that great you only have to look at their position in La Liga. We can do this.

COYR

YNWA
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm

We will need to get our act together for this and have a solution to their tactics that we know they will employ. There is no point in complaining tonight at 10 o clock about bus parking or the carry on from certain individuals like Costa or Simeone.

We have got to be more proactive in attacking and working out how to exploit the low block rather than enjoying 80% possession on the half way line going sideways.

I am going for 2.0 to us :buttrock .
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Maybe winning the Champions League in June and following that up by all but wrapping up the title in January has scratched a long-held itch, or maybe it’s the distraction of the coronavirus and games being called off/being played behind closed doors, but has the build up to this game been a bit muted considering it’s magnitude? I mean, last year we were all but out against Barcelona having lost 3-0 at the Nou Camp but the build up to return tie was massive. I really hope there is a strong coach welcome and the supporters at Anfield lift the roof as things have been very flat this last month and we can’t afford that today.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Think it might be "heart attack time" tonight.

Atletico are more than capable of playing "rope a dope" i.e. absorbing everything we throw at them and catching us on a break.

We really mustn't concede a goal  tonight, if they score i'm not convinced we'll get a required 3 (or more ) goals against their superb defensive play.

Hold on to your hats !

Another night of Anfield drama !  I'm thinking 1-0 for our lads and this game will go to penalties !!!

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Agree with 3-1. We'll be so up for this, with the Anfield atmosphere I can only see one time progressing tonight. Massive game.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Very strong team, hope Hendo is fully fit, he could be the difference
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chriserfolg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Our wingbacks will be marked down intensively. Hope the midfield will turn up in a big way today.

3-0
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby electrum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Liverpool: Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Lonergan, Fabinho, Milner, Minamino, Lallana, Origi, Matip.

Good to see the Ox in there - a bit of attacking flair/ ability to drive from Midfield with the ball will be vital tonight.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:23 pm wrote:Think it might be "heart attack time" tonight.

Atletico are more than capable of playing "rope a dope" i.e. absorbing everything we throw at them and catching us on a break.

We really mustn't concede a goal  tonight, if they score i'm not convinced we'll get a required 3 (or more ) goals against their superb defensive play.

Hold on to your hats !

Another night of Anfield drama !  I'm thinking 1-0 for our lads and this game will go to penalties !!!

No you make a very good point mate that has just put the game in perspective, we can be 2-0 up and cruising but a stoppage time goal or any sort of goal from them and we are out, in fact we won’t really be able to relax (even slightly) until we are 3-0 goals to the good.
As you say this is going to be one of those nights. The one consolidation is that situations like this usually bring out the best in us as a club, plus I don’t think Atletico are that good, I think we made them look good in the first leg by playing shyte.
It will be a different ball game tonight.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Giniiiiiii in a bottle
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Get in Gini
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 pm

HT 1-0 we had our chances but Atleti was stubborn and discipline.

Now it's game on and we should wrap this all up in the 2nd half attacking the Kop end
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 pm

Always shows up with an important goal in difficult games. Get in Gini :buttrock

Solid first half overall, pretty much exactly the game we all expected. So far so good but the bad thing is Atletico need just the one goal, even if we score another.

Also, shout out to the ref. Think he's been managing the game well enough. He knew what he'll be up against with Atletico and he's having none of it so far.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games