LIVERPOOL v atletico madrid Wed 3rd Nov 8.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Tommy Smith » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:18 pm

Great win and excellent performance,  for me Tsimikas was the man of the match.

Good Luck Lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:35 pm

Thought VVD had a really good game. Perhaps his best since returning from his injury.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:00 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:35 pm wrote:Thought VVD had a really good game. Perhaps his best since returning from his injury.

Agreed but I still think he needs another 3-4 months to get his confidence back. Full credit to Matip for playing great support to VVD.

Whats the score with Gomez?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:28 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:35 pm wrote:Thought VVD had a really good game. Perhaps his best since returning from his injury.

Was saying that to my mate earlier, he looked a lot more mobile and athletic last night which was great to see, not saying he's back to his imperious best but he's at least starting to look something like his old self.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:58 pm

Thought we were all excellent last night from start to finish. Van Dijk is immense but Matip deserves the tag also. He has been brilliant since the season started.

Delighted we beat them like that the dirty shower. The ref did well imo and needed to gain control of the game around the time of the sending off. He was going to give a yellow but upgraded it for dissent. 3 times he blew the whistle to call the player back and 3 times he brushed him off.  He deserved it imo.

Absolutely delighted we qualified early which gives us room to focus on other stuff and rest players.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:37 am

red till i die!! » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 pm wrote:Thought we were all excellent last night from start to finish. Van Dijk is immense but Matip deserves the tag also. He has been brilliant since the season started.

Delighted we beat them like that the dirty shower. The ref did well imo and needed to gain control of the game around the time of the sending off. He was going to give a yellow but upgraded it for dissent. 3 times he blew the whistle to call the player back and 3 times he brushed him off.  He deserved it imo.

Absolutely delighted we qualified early which gives us room to focus on other stuff and rest players.

I didn't see the interview myself mate but apparently Jurgen played down any talk of resting players for the remaining CL games, by all accounts in the group stages teams get a million quid for every point they earn, with 2 games left that a potential £6m up for grabs. To put that in perspective the winners of the League/Carabao Cup get £100,000, the losing finalists get 50k and the losing semi finalists get 25k each. Obviously there's gate receipts, tv money etc on top of that but it looks like that CL money is just too much for us to ignore.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 am

I don't think we'll send out a side to lose. Off the top of my head I think it's around an extra 900k euros for a draw and 2.8m euros for a victory. I'd expect we use the likes of Kelleher, Gomez, Konate, Jones, Origi, etc. But wouldn't expect too see the academy boys like Bradley, Beck, Gordon, etc. If we don't have enough senior back up players then I'd expect regulars to fill in the gaps instead of the academy players.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:50 am

Imagine the bad will that'd result from playing junior players and losing leading to the second place team dropping a position and not qualifying. I think we're obliged to play the first team even if they kick around and play for the draw from the start.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Yeah, Klopp said in the post match that winning in the CL brings in a lot of money, so although I expect to see some rotation for the 2 remaining games it's not going to be like we would see in the League Cup.

Although I sort of understand it, it's not something I agree with to be honest. A lot of our players have been getting injuries recently, it's like we have an injured player every second game now. We can make some money if we win these games but will it justify losing a key player? Think of Jota last season, he played unnecessarily in a nothing game, got injured and was unavailable in a key period where we could have really used him. I'd go as far as saying that his injury almost cost us a place in the top 4. How much potential money would we have lost if we didn't qualify for the CL?

Also, maybe it's just me but our team looked a bit leggy after some time in the match against Atletico but also against Brighton as well. I think we were really lucky that Atletico's goal got overruled because even with a man less they would have caused problems for us IMO, because we looked kinda tired. I hope it's just a false perception of mine because this shouldn't be happening at this period of time, we've only hardly played a quarter of the season.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games