Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 pm wrote:Did we win the CL with a midfield 3 of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum?

They all played their part despite a season if you running them down

Yeah that's what's called a diplomatic answer.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 pm wrote:As for first team signings last nights Echo pretty much confirmed that we aren't making any. With only 4 weeks left in the window (it shuts early this year apparently) the club is concentrating its efforts on signing players for the future (like the lad from Holland and that other lad from Fulham).
We are the finished article apparently, the perfect football team  :glare: no signing would improve us.

Who said we are the “finished” article ?

As you keep ignoring - improvements can be made without signing anyone but the Echo is an informed these days as other journos - they don’t know what’s going on

Klopp has got it right every summer , you no doubt complained bitterly last summer as well so if Klopp is happy with his squad who are you to suggest he is wrong ?

Look I get it, Klopp is not a chequebook manager, he's happy to work with what he's got, it took him nearly 3 years to buy a top CB and GK because he preferred to try and improve the players we already had. In some ways that's admirable, a lot of managers would be lost without their chequebooks, Guardiola for one seems reticent to join anyone but the richest and most powerful club in any country he works in.
IMO though we now have the perfect platform to really kick on, I mean really kick on, not just try to get an extra 2 and 3 percent out of our existing players. We have money in our pockets and our star is riding high so why don't we bring in a couple of top quality players like we did last summer? You can't tell me we wouldn't be a better squad if we brought in say, Nicholas Pepe and De Ligt?
The money men and bean counters at the club must be doing somersaults. Win the CL and barely spend a penny?
Klopp may well squeeze a couple of percent more out of this current crop of players but a couple of big signings would have improved us much more that a couple of percent, how much did Virgil and Alisson improve us?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 pm

I agree completely.. We're in a position where we can buy 1 or 2 world class players because the first 11 is that good. I think Pepe would have been a great addition as he can play anywhere across the front 3. That gives cover for players fatigued and also cover for injuries.

I would have liked coutinho/Fernandes just to add creativity to our midfield.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 am

I don’t think we should be buying for the sake of it, City lost a very important midfielder and are replacing him, we are a younger team and some of our players have not peaked yet. I do think we need cover for our front three but buying a starter will mean someone will not play and will be disappointed, risking team chemistry (our strongest asset). Better cover for the front three with a super talented youngster (Brewster) that is happy with less game time but hungry enough to not lose motivation.

Keita will improve, Grujic and Gomez will improve, AOC should be like a new signing, Brewster if good enough will improve, our cycle is different to City’s.

I am worried however that Mane and Salah will suffer a little burnout this year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-transfer-strategy-outlined-what-17793023
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 am

kazza » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 am wrote:I don’t think we should be buying for the sake of it, City lost a very important midfielder and are replacing him, we are a younger team and some of our players have not peaked yet. I do think we need cover for our front three but buying a starter will mean someone will not play and will be disappointed, risking team chemistry (our strongest asset). Better cover for the front three with a super talented youngster (Brewster) that is happy with less game time but hungry enough to not lose motivation.

Keita will improve, Grujic and Gomez will improve, AOC should be like a new signing, Brewster if good enough will improve, our cycle is different to City’s.

I am worried however that Mane and Salah will suffer a little burnout this year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-transfer-strategy-outlined-what-17793023

Come on mate the lad is 19 years old and hasn't played a single League game, expecting him to be the back up striker in a title winning side at that age with zero premier league experience is a huge ask. Yes the likes of Fowler and Owen were top players at 19 but they were the exceptions not the rule.
The truth is that the vast majority of lads that come through our youth ranks don't make it, a few years ago everyone was waxing lyrical about Jordan Rossiter calling him the next Stevie Gerrard etc, iirc he even played a couple of first team games and did well, I noticed in the paper yesterday that he's left Glasgow Rangers to join Fleetwood Town. That unfortunately is the norm.
Hopefully Brewster is one of the few that does make it but let's be honest about this playing up front for a huge club that's challenging for the premier league and CL is not easy, there's nowhere to hide up front, he's got a much tougher job on his hands than say Trent did.
Being a solid premier league goal scorer like Danny Ings isn't good enough, to lead the line for us you need to be Torres, Suarez, Firmino standard.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Agreed, too much faith and pressure at the same time is given to Brewster. The lad has never played a single game, but we have super high expectations of him. It could turn out bad for both him and the club.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 pm wrote:Did we win the CL with a midfield 3 of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum?

They all played their part despite a season if you running them down

Yeah that's what's called a diplomatic answer.

Yakka you actually still think you are right when the reality is that those three lads contributed massively towards us getting a ridiculous total of 97 points in the league and winning the CL. And on many occasions that was when they formed the makeup of the midfield. Wynaldum"s inspired performance as a sub against Barca was a key reason why we won the CL. I have never said that a midfield three of Henderson in a deep-lying role, Milner and Wynaldum are out and out world beaters but they deserve a massive amount of credit for what we achieved. They all received a lot of criticism (myself included when Henderson was playing a deep-lying role)  but let's face it they helped make the opposition's task incredibly difficult.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:23 am

I think the only player who has been linked to us by a credible journalist is Samuel Chukwueze who Neil Jones mentioned.

It's really quite but I still expect us to make 2 or maybe even 3 signings.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am

Klopp has to keep buying better players - we haven't "arrived" yet, its still work in progress. When we've worn the league 3 out of 5 years then we can back off.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby electrum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Reg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am wrote:Klopp has to keep buying better players - we haven't "arrived" yet, its still work in progress. When we've worn the league 3 out of 5 years then we can back off.

Is exactly right.

Success leaves clues...
When we won the league for fun in the 80's we always added a QUALITY signing to the existing first 11.
With the demands of today and the need for rotation; one quality signing per window might just be the
absolute minimum you need to mount a sustained challenge and actually WIN the bloomin' thing.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 pm

electrum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:27 pm wrote:
Reg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am wrote:Klopp has to keep buying better players - we haven't "arrived" yet, its still work in progress. When we've worn the league 3 out of 5 years then we can back off.

Is exactly right.

Success leaves clues...
When we won the league for fun in the 80's we always added a QUALITY signing to the existing first 11.
With the demands of today and the need for rotation; one quality signing per window might just be the
absolute minimum you need to mount a sustained challenge and actually WIN the bloomin' thing.

We should keep buying players every season until the time comes when we are dominating the league and winning it time and again like the scum and man City. Until then, we should not be content with the squad we have.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Red Rum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Reg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 am wrote:Klopp has to keep buying better players - we haven't "arrived" yet, its still work in progress. When we've worn the league 3 out of 5 years then we can back off.

Exactly, and we haven't signed any big names yet
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm

You guys should know well enough by now that Klopp will not buy players for the sake of it.  Am sure he has some targets he wants, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. In Klopp we trust  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:47 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 pm wrote:Did we win the CL with a midfield 3 of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum?

Asinine reasoning. Didn't we win the CL with Djimi Traore? Duh, sure then we shouldn't even think of trying to strengthen...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm wrote:You guys should know well enough by now that Klopp will not buy players for the sake of it.  Am sure he has some targets he wants, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. In Klopp we trust  :nod

And when was it that the club finally became competetive?
When Klopp finally splashed the cash and went for top class in Becker and van Dijk. Where would we be without those signings?
We haven't even won the league and it's arrogant and stupid to sit on your laurels thinking this is enough.
We need more world class players and not until we sit on the perch with 3 titles under our belt could we maybe take time to relax and be happy with the squad.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill