Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:13 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 pm wrote:Looks like Timo Werner is not going to sign a new contract which expires in 2020. RB Leipzig will be looking to cash in for about £40m which would be a bargain at his age.

Would love to see Werner in a red shirt.  And reports in Germany are suggesting that we could get him for £36 million  :nod

If Bayern don't want him and Klopp does, then I think we'll have a pretty good chance of getting him. But the few bits and bobs I've seen of him he didn't look anything special but I have complete faith in our recruitment team right now.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 am wrote:Yes Dortmund have confirmed it, he is going to Chelsea.
£58m which is quite cheap these days for a highly rated 20 year old, Sterling went for a similar fee at a similar age about 4 or 5 years ago.

It’s way over priced for someone with one year left in his contract and who Klopp valued at £11mil 18 months ago and a player who hasn’t really produced and spends a lot of time on the bench. Can see him being another young player going downhill when going to Chelsea
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm

damjan193 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:13 pm wrote:I'm glad we didn't sign Pulisic for that sort of money to be honest. Good player but nothing special IMO. He might become something big but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Both Zaha and Timo Werner are good shouts, if they're available for the right money. Both not having great seasons like last year but they'll do fine as backup players at least. Would prefer Werner over Zaha as he has a lot of potential to become a top player. Zaha seems to be off to China anyway.

All that being said though, I don't think we'll sign anyone this January. Which is fine, we have a good group of players as it is.

Zaha is overrated imo - no substance or output , a pure big fish in small pond.

Werner though I like - I think he is the exact sort of player Klopp would love.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't get all the hype surrounding that Werner, admittedly I don't watch much German footy but whenever I've seen him he just looks like an average player with half a yard of pace. Even his YouTube video's, I've yet to see a clip where he goes past a man by dropping a shoulder or with a piece of skill etc, for someone so highly rated he doesn't actually look that good on the ball.
What about this Sancho lad at Dortmund or does he still belong to City?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Sancho will cost well over £100mill now - he certainly looks the real deal but only been 3/4 months at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if City have a buy back clause

Dembele is one to look at as he is clearly struggling at Barce - but needs to be a sharp kick in regards attitude
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:49 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm wrote:I don't get all the hype surrounding that Werner, admittedly I don't watch much German footy but whenever I've seen him he just looks like an average player with half a yard of pace. Even his YouTube video's, I've yet to see a clip where he goes past a man by dropping a shoulder or with a piece of skill etc, for someone so highly rated he doesn't actually look that good on the ball.
What about this Sancho lad at Dortmund or does he still belong to City?

Agreed. I've only seen a few bits of Werner and he looks a lot of huff and puff but I didn't see much quality.

Sancho on the other hand......god knows how Man City let him slip through their hands. He looks the real deal. You can honestly make an argument for him now being better than Mahrez and Sane.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm wrote:Sancho will cost well over £100mill now - he certainly looks the real deal but only been 3/4 months at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if City have a buy back clause

Dembele is one to look at as he is clearly struggling at Barce - but needs to be a sharp kick in regards attitude

He may have had a few disciplinary issues (lateness, etc) but he isn't struggling on the pitch. He's starting regularly and helping them win games. I'd be very surprised if Barcelona don't want to keep him. Elite level talent who'll they be looking to nurture into a world class player.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Sancho is the next big thing. Doubt he'll go anywhere this season, but if City doesn't have a buy-back clause, and if we happen to win the title this season, we should definitely go for that lad during the summer. He'd cost a shitload but I'm sure he'll be willing to come here and he's the sort of a player we'd need to go for if we want to stay on top.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:03 pm

One thing about Pulisic as well, Jurgen has seen him close up and I'm sure if he genuinely thought the lad was going to develop into the next Kevin De Bruyne then we would have put in a counter offer.
The fact Jurgen didn't lift a finger to try and stop him going to Stamford Bridge would worry me if I was a Chelsea fan.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Agree 100% Yakka.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:27 pm

I feel like there was some merit in our interest in Pulisic. I suspect Chelsea did what we did with VVD last winter- get him signed before anybody else had a chance to. Purely speculative, but I also don’t think we were going in for him this winter- more of a summer target.
I’m torn on the guy. It’s nice to see an American at a top club. I wasn’t sure if I wanted him here because I felt he was getting way too much credit from the media and is a bit over-hyped. I’ve always rooted for him, but I guess that ends come August! Hard to say if he will pan out there, but Chelsea aren’t exactly the club to go to to turn raw talent into a superstar. He’d have probably been better off at Arsenal or spurs, or staying in Dortmund.

For once I’d be fine with no signings in January. It’s hard to see where we could strengthen the squad without a massive signing. January really isn’t the time to be going after major targets.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Technically we don’t need to buy anyone other than a replacement LB in the foreseeable future. I suspect Klopp has his wish list of possible players across a few positions but none of them need to be a January premium purchase. If we win the league I’m sure the owners will continue to support Klopp with new players.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Back when Brendan was manager I remember us being top at Christmas but everyone was saying we need to go out and buy a top quality DM in January because Lucas got injured.
The club sat on their hands, brought no one in and we ended up finishing second, 2 points behind City.
We conceded 50 goals that season, 26 of them after January the 1st, I know hindsight is always 20/20 but imo a top quality DM or even a CB would have been worth more than 2 points to us over those remaining 17 games.
I hope the club don't make the same mistake again, go get a quality CM in this window.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Is there a CM of the required quality available in this window though Yakka?

I think it would have to be a marquee signing to make a significant difference and they are few and far between in January.

Maybe using Fabhino , Keita and Wijnaldum as a "first choice " MF and trio might be the way forward - I reckon that on form those 3 could do the job and get us over the  line.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill