9, Full Metal Jacket
16%
10, Another one (name it )
37%

Total votes : 19

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:26 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:No War film can ever match the Longest day for quality of acting, plots (true life being greater than fiction) and a sense of pride one gets having watched the movie. Sorry people, but nothing else compares.

Longest Day was sanitised and btw Ace the war wasn't actually fought in Black and White . As for big name actors ? I don't get the point . The opening sequence to Saving Private Ryan had it all if you want to talk about the normandy landings and Tom Hanks' performance left John Wayne ,Richard Burton  et al  for dead . (no pun intended   :D  )

Ok. Yes the Longest Day is "Sanitised" but that is because it was made in an era where there was more to films about War than extreme circumstances and special effects. The Longest Day deals with the loss of humanity in war and the way that people are usually branded good guy and bad guy, and are rubber stamped into innacurate catagories.

I think all your above points are well documented in Private Ryan ,possibly more so ,"loss of humanity ,good guys bad guys " ? eg. did Longest Day show allied troops killing unarmed Germans who were surrendering ? .

What do you not get about Big Name actors?

I don't get why you list a roll call of "stars " , that doesn't automatically make  it a a great movie

What is wrong with black and white?

I prefer movies to appear as realistic as possible ,even if this means using special effects or god forbid colour photography !

As for Shaving Ryan's Privates having everything about the Normandy landings, I don't think so. It featured Omagha beach. There were a few others as well, all with their own, individual stories.

There where four others Ace , Gold and Sword (British) Juno (Canadian ) and Utah (American). The resistance on these beaches was comparatively light (compared to Omaha) and were cleared by mid morning .At that time the allies were considering withdrawing from Omaha beach due to the massive casualties.

Saving Private Ryan deals with an American war. The Longest Day deals with a World War (well, European and American anyway) and shows what can happen when people work together to overthrough evil.

The Longest Day deals with what is says on the tin june 6th 1944.Private Ryan may not have shown the scale of D Day but it  certainly gave you a close up on the best and worst of what happend that day.

But that is just my opinion...  :)

Don't get me wrong Ace , I've seen The Longest Day several times and think it was a great film ,I just don't agree with your statement "nothing else compares"

Thats just my opinion .    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Non Football Related Polls