8, Waterloo
No votes
9, Full Metal Jacket
16%
10, Another one (name it )
37%

Total votes : 19

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Full metal jacket gets my vote, but to be honest I'm not a huge war films fan, so I haven't seen all the films on the list
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:38 pm

Hartman: Well ... no :censored:. What have we got here, a :censored: comedian? Private Joker? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and :censored: my sister. You little scumbag! I've got your name! I've got your :censored:! You will not laugh! You will not cry! You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you. Now get up! Get on your feet! You had best un :censored: yourself or I will unscrew your head and :censored: down your neck!

F.M.J. rules   :buttrock   :rasp
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Saving Private Ryan

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:03 pm

I like all the movies mentioned above! Never seen Papillon though.Black hawk down gets my vote,well that or Platoon!A tough call!
66-1120597113

Postby drummerphil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 pm

i voted other.......

non war films are

highlander and life of brian
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 pm

The Dirty Dozen  for me..
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:28 am

Oh, I've seen U-571 too...the one where they took what the British did and claimed Americans did it (except in the small print at the end!)  Typical really, they'll be doing the same with that rescued Russian submarine next.  (How did the British get there first when Siberia is so much closer to America anyway?!)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Woollyback » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 am

2520years wrote:Oh, I've seen U-571 too...the one where they took what the British did and claimed Americans did it (except in the small print at the end!)  Typical really, they'll be doing the same with that rescued Russian submarine next.  (How did the British get there first when Siberia is so much closer to America anyway?!)

is that before or after the film about how the americans built the pyramids, beat napoleon at waterloo and then invented the english language? :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 am

dear hunter
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 am

For me undoubtedly the greatest film of all time is The Shawshank Redemption
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:12 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:For me undoubtedly the greatest film of all time is The Shawshank Redemption

:laugh:
What War was that in ?

Always a good idea to read the intro post on a thread .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:32 pm

As far as war films go, you can't beat The Longest Day. The true events of D-Day portrayed by the best actors (you know where a film usually boasts a couple of big names? Well this one just has written on the box something like "48 International stars"). John Wayne, Richard Burton, Robert Michum, Sean Connery and a lot more. It humanises the war and takes it from the text book and makes it a personal thing. From the German Watchman who rides a donkey to his post every morning, played by the guy who would later become best known as Eurich Goldfinger (the German, not the Donkey) to the British chief on the beach who takes his Bulldog named Winston everywhere he goes.
No War film can ever match the Longest day for quality of acting, plots (true life being greater than fiction) and a sense of pride one gets having watched the movie. Sorry people, but nothing else compares.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:47 pm

Forgot about the Deer Hunter, easily the best war film I've seen, the roulette scene is one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen.  De Niro's best fil to this day
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:58 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:No War film can ever match the Longest day for quality of acting, plots (true life being greater than fiction) and a sense of pride one gets having watched the movie. Sorry people, but nothing else compares.

Longest Day was sanitised and btw Ace the war wasn't actually fought in Black and White . As for big name actors ? I don't get the point . The opening sequence to Saving Private Ryan had it all if you want to talk about the normandy landings and Tom Hanks' performance left John Wayne ,Richard Burton  et al  for dead . (no pun intended   :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:31 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:No War film can ever match the Longest day for quality of acting, plots (true life being greater than fiction) and a sense of pride one gets having watched the movie. Sorry people, but nothing else compares.

Longest Day was sanitised and btw Ace the war wasn't actually fought in Black and White . As for big name actors ? I don't get the point . The opening sequence to Saving Private Ryan had it all if you want to talk about the normandy landings and Tom Hanks' performance left John Wayne ,Richard Burton  et al  for dead . (no pun intended   :D  )

Ok. Yes the Longest Day is "Sanitised" but that is because it was made in an era where there was more to films about War than extreme circumstances and special effects. The Longest Day deals with the loss of humanity in war and the way that people are usually branded good guy and bad guy, and are rubber stamped into innacurate catagories.

What do you not get about Big Name actors?

What is wrong with black and white?

As for Shaving Ryan's Privates having everything about the Normandy landings, I don't think so. It featured Omagha beach. There were a few others as well, all with their own, individual stories.

Saving Private Ryan deals with an American war. The Longest Day deals with a World War (well, European and American anyway) and shows what can happen when people work together to overthrough evil.

But that is just my opinion...  :)
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Non Football Related Polls