Top 10 lfc cult heroes

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:40 pm

Dalglish wrote:He was barking MAD :D  I sense that Igor Biscan is going to become the next cult figure at LFC :laugh:

IIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:00 pm

King Kenny tops the list for obvious reasons but I'd always like Ronnie Whelan who is very much the unsung hero, always gives his best and has an eye for goals, espwcially during his early years. He deputised very well in place of Alan Hansen in the 88-89 season when we lost the championship on the very last game to Arsenal. During the later part of his Liverpool career, he plays as a protector of the defence, much like Didi but he is miles better.

Other notables are Graeme Souness, probably our best ever midfielder (Stevie has more drive but he should look at Souness' Liverpool career and pick up a thing or two), Alan Hansen (steal of the century for only 100,000 pounds), Ian Rush (goal scoring legend), Sammy Lee (tireless performer, and local lad if I am not mistaken), Emlyn Hughes (inspirational captain), Gary MacAllister (great player, a pity he did not come to Liverpool earlier), Terry Mac (masterful goal scorer from midfield), Kevin Keegan (great player but who would have thought that Kenny would so easily replace him?) and the original clown goalkeeper yet still a great one, Brucie (unlike the present clowns, Barthez and Lehmann, Brucie has amazing reflexes and attacks crosses like no other).
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:04 pm

When I said Ronnie Whelan deputised well in place of Alan Hansen, I meant deputising as club captain, not at central defence. This guy was so good at his position that he actually shut out a more talented player, Kevin Sheedy, who left liverpool to become a success story at Everton.

How we need a player like him today.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stel » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:25 pm

Cheyrou, Diomede, Vignal
stel

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:26 pm

stel wrote:Cheyrou, Diomede, Vignal

who? ???  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stel » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:30 pm

Ups! I meant Fowler,McAllister,McAteer :D
stel

Postby barnesrush » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:07 pm

paul jones for turning away better offers to just play a few games om loan for us :)
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby greenred » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:36 am

Anyone mention Aldo?Only at anfield for a couple of years but he made quite an impact.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:08 am

barnesrush wrote:paul jones for turning away better offers to just play a few games om loan for us :)

yeh really showed the confidence GH had in Patrice Luzi, instead of playing him he got Paul Jones on loan for a month and then he wentt to Wolves.  :D

I would have been well annoyed if I was Patrice in that situation, your chance finally comes and your manager gets another goalkeeper until your no1 and 2 are back.
Last edited by LFC #1 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:21 am

azriahmad wrote:King Kenny tops the list for obvious reasons but I'd always like Ronnie Whelan who is very much the unsung hero, always gives his best and has an eye for goals, espwcially during his early years. He deputised very well in place of Alan Hansen in the 88-89 season when we lost the championship on the very last game to Arsenal. During the later part of his Liverpool career, he plays as a protector of the defence, much like Didi but he is miles better.

Other notables are Graeme Souness, probably our best ever midfielder (Stevie has more drive but he should look at Souness' Liverpool career and pick up a thing or two), Alan Hansen (steal of the century for only 100,000 pounds), Ian Rush (goal scoring legend), Sammy Lee (tireless performer, and local lad if I am not mistaken), Emlyn Hughes (inspirational captain), Gary MacAllister (great player, a pity he did not come to Liverpool earlier), Terry Mac (masterful goal scorer from midfield), Kevin Keegan (great player but who would have thought that Kenny would so easily replace him?) and the original clown goalkeeper yet still a great one, Brucie (unlike the present clowns, Barthez and Lehmann, Brucie has amazing reflexes and attacks crosses like no other).

Whelan made my list on the strength of that curler into the MANCS goal during   Milk cup final :)

Glory days of pin stripe strip   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby long sleeved joe » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:56 pm

greenred wrote:Anyone mention Aldo?Only at anfield for a couple of years but he made quite an impact.

yeah how could we forget him- his record in those couple of years was a different class and he's a true fan as well.  - 

Theres a few players who looked at one time like they would become cult heros but it just didnt happen-  Litmannen, Song, Dicks, Collymore. If only.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby azriahmad » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:24 pm

Aldo is practically useless for anything other than scoring goals - I don't remember any of his assists, but he is lethal when it comes to scoring. He can teach Cisse, Baros et al many things about scoring.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:42 pm

what about neil ruddock, he was quite a character
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby twigg » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:52 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:what about neil ruddock, he was quite a character

He was on my list and I listed a few reasons why.

One I didn't mention is a story I heard about him running up to the opponent he was marking, yelling "Hey, look!" and ****** himself...Classic.
"To live and move among men the heart must break or harden." - Sebastian Chamfort

Check out LARiotSquad.net
twigg

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 pm

Craig Johnston
Sammy Lee
Jimmy Case
Emlyn Hughes
Rushie
King Ken
Grob..
Kennedy
Heighway