Patrik berger retires - Best player in lw in the naughties?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby roberto green » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:39 pm

A good player for us when he came his injuries ended up costing him though.He was one of my favourites and had plenty of skill and flair.

Was voted our best left sided player in the poll recently

Good luck Patrik!!

The man who earned your vote as the best left-sided player in Liverpool's team of the Noughties has announced his retirement from football

Patrik Berger, who played for Liverpool between 1996 and 2003, has quit the game at the age of 36 because of a knee injury. He ended his career back in the Czech Republic with Sparta Prague.

He earned a reputation for scoring spectacular goals at Anfield  with his trusty left foot, and his astute pass for Michael Owen's winner in the 2001 FA Cup final against Arsenal, ensured he will always be remembered fondly by the Kop.

Signed by Roy Evans from Borussia Dortmund in 1996, Berger went on to make 196 appearances in a red shirt and scored 35 goals.

Kopites first saw the player with movie star looks grace Anfield playing for the Czech Republic in Euro 96. He was a pivotal part of the team that finished runners-up to Germany. Berger had put the Czech team in front at Wembley from the penalty spot but Germany came back to win.

Evans brought him to Anfield and he certainly made a great start in a red shirt. In his second game he came on as a half-time substitute for Stan Collymore and made an immediate impression at Liverpool's bogey ground of the past.

Filbert Street hadn't been the happiest of hunting grounds for the Reds but he hit two explosive strikes past Kasey Keller that had the travelling Kop drooling at the arrival of a new hero.

After that game, beaten keeper Keller stated: "I've never seen a ball move so fast in my life. It's a good job I didn't get in the way of either shot or I'd have been back in the net with them."

One  of the opponents Berger liked playing against was Chelsea. In September 1996 he hit a double against the Blues and the following season, October 1997 he scored a memorable hat-trick against Chelsea at Anfield in a 4-2 win.

Other breathtaking strikes that spring to mind include one against our greatest rivals. The green away strip might not be remembered with great memories but Kopites will recall a stunning e free-kick at Old Trafford during a 1-1 draw with Manchester United in the 1999-2000 season.

Our former No.15 had his injury problems during the treble season but he still played a vital part in the glory.

The 2001 FA Cup final is commonly known as the Owen final, but it was Berger's fantastic vision and quick anticipation that released the striker to break Arsenal's hearts in Cardiff.

After seven years at Anfield he left for a new challenge with Portsmouth in 2003 and sure enough he netted the winner against Gerard Houllier's Liverpool at Fratton Park.

A spell with Aston Villa then came before he moved back home to join Sparta Prague in May 2008.

After announcing his retirement from the game at the age of 36, Sparta coach Jozef Chovanec said: "Patrik told me yesterday, 'It's over. My knee doesn't support the burden anymore'.

"We have to deal with it.

"Thank you Patrik for everything you have done for Sparta and the entire Czech football."

He also won 44 caps for the Czech Republic and was voted in at number 79 in our highly acclaimed 100 Players Who Shook the Kop feature.
roberto green

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm

good player, pity injuries hampered his career with us. We could do with his flair in midfield right now
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I always liked Paddy, scored some great goals and was always looking to make something happen. Along with Mcmanaman was probably the worst header of a ball ever at Liverpool, but what a great left foot.
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:24 pm

s@int wrote:I always liked Paddy, scored some great goals and was always looking to make something happen. Along with Mcmanaman was probably the worst header of a ball ever at Liverpool, but what a great left foot.

Spot on saint . Berger was a good servant for LFC and if it hadn't have been for his injuries he would have contributed a hell of a lot more . All the best Paddy lad.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby callumlfc93 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Go on Paddy son! :)
callumlfc93

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Great player who gave me some good moments watching him play,

Good luck Paddy lad
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm

I always like Patrick Berger, he was skillfull with a great shot and was great servant to the club, always speaks fondly of Liverpool as well. Used to love the team under Roy Evans as a kid played great football and had great attacking players, pity they couldnt defend! :D
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am

What a shame. He was one of the better players of the late '90's.

Good luck for the future, Pat.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 am

Good player ,I always liked Berger until he sullied his reputation with a scathing attack on Benitez and his policies ,it seems the urge to condemn the manager is a popular trend ,and sadly he spoke at a time when kicking the Manager when he was down had become a media Love in  :(

Sorry Patrik thanks for the memories but your timing to put the proverbial boot in was tactless and ill thought.
Best of Luck for the future , I'm sure there's a spot on ITV for another pundit quick to provide the proverbial boot
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:41 am

Our last true proper winger (along with Harry Kewell) of recent times. Great player and sorely missed.

Good Luck Patrick!
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 am

redbeergoggles wrote:....... but your timing to put the proverbial boot in was tactless and ill thought.
Best of Luck for the future , I'm sure there's a spot on ITV for another pundit quick to provide the proverbial boot

Just like the rest of our former greats eh?

The whole ungrateful bunch must really hate us. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! Have they no regard or gratitude for the club that made their fame and fortune?

Or don't they? Maybe the really care about the club and can't bear to see it crumble into dust on the pitch. After all, all of them played for LFC not RBFC. Hence, it's easy to see where their priorities and loyalties lie.
ConnO'var

Postby Keris » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 am

I remember getting excited when he signed from Dortmund after a good Euro with the Czech Rep.
Even scored on his 'debut' in the reserved. :D

Good luck Patrik :)
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:22 am

I remember my young brothers comment. He wasnt a fan of football (basketball was his game), but if it was on he would put up with it. We watched a match (I cant remember what game it was) and Berger scored one of his specials, and my brother came out with "Does he ever score in the box?" :D

He was special, no doubt about that. But at 36, he had a good run.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:45 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Good player ,I always liked Berger until he sullied his reputation with a scathing attack on Benitez and his policies ,it seems the urge to condemn the manager is a popular trend ,and sadly he spoke at a time when kicking the Manager when he was down had become a media Love in  :(

Sorry Patrik thanks for the memories but your timing to put the proverbial boot in was tactless and ill thought.

Oh dear.

He played for LFC before Rafa came along and was a good player that scored some great goals.

But lets forget all that and chastise the bloke for critising Rafa.

:no
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:46 am

Was one of my favourite players and certainly had a sweet left peg. Sadly he was in excellent form when he got injured in that 4-3 loss to Leeds then we never really saw him again. My uncle used to always tell me I looked like him, so I identified with him. Good luck Patrik, try coaching!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge