Patrik berger retires - Best player in lw in the naughties?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

ConnO'var wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:....... but your timing to put the proverbial boot in was tactless and ill thought.
Best of Luck for the future , I'm sure there's a spot on ITV for another pundit quick to provide the proverbial boot

Just like the rest of our former greats eh?

The whole ungrateful bunch must really hate us. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! Have they no regard or gratitude for the club that made their fame and fortune?

Or don't they? Maybe the really care about the club and can't bear to see it crumble into dust on the pitch. After all, all of them played for LFC not RBFC. Hence, it's easy to see where their priorities and loyalties lie.

Its not strictly about supporting the manager ,and I certainly don't adhere to the RBFC policy ,but I will always frown on the timing of a player  to join this trend of sticking the obligatory knife into the club at a time when the Media in general are steadfastly penning our obituary

I also stated I liked Berger as a player and he provided some much cherished moments   ,but sadly he was found wanting in the pundit department    :(

I tend to differ in opinion.

I would rather a pundit express his true thoughts and feeling rather than play the politically correct card. Doesn't mean that I'd agree with said pundits opinion but it offers a different point of view to at least consider.

And I don't believe that there is a concerted effort to participate in any sort of anti-liverpool campaign. I do agree that in all likelihood, they're not THAT fond of us, but a conspiracy? I think not. As such, I do not subscribe to the seige mentality that we, as fans, sometimes adopt.

Bad news is always better for the media.... that's what sells papers and increases ratings. Have you not noticed that? Most people, for god only knows what reason, will find morbid news, like a murder, more interesting than one where a little boy rescues a cat out of a tree. The media caters to the masses and will publish what sells.... it's their source of profit as a business entity.

Doesn't mean that I (or anyone for that matter) have to agree with Patrick's opinion.... he's entitled to it.... it's the motive that decides it for me as to wether a person is "good" or "bad".

Patrick, IMO, was a great servant of the club whose contributions was unfortunately curbed by injuries. In all his time with us, his public persona has never caused me to have any doubts about his character. It could very well be that he may be a grade "A" tw@t in real life.... who knows unless they know him personally.... but imo, theres very little evidence to suggest otherwise.

A player of his calibre and ability is exactly what we need at this moment in time.

If it were his playing abilities that I was questioning I would concur with your summary ,but those particular traits were not what my assumptions were founded upon ,nor did I cast any aspersion on Berger's character or general disposition .

I simply stated the timing of his blast at the club and manager soured my overall opinion of the player ,and as that is my prerogative to proffer my own generalisation then I will do so in keeping with the freedom of the forum .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby sully0182 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Legend!
You can't just walk in here with a big banana and expect everything to be peaches...

"We see things they'll never see" - Noel Gallagher, fellow united hater
sully0182

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:John barnes was a world class left winger for us and i can guarentee 99.9% would take a john barnes at his height over a paddy berger at his height for liverpool .

It's not even a debate. Berger was a decent enough player, but Barnes was special.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:10 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:..... and as that is my prerogative to proffer my own generalisation then I will do so in keeping with the freedom of the forum .

A prerogative to which you have every right to, mate.... and I respect and support that whole heartedly.... As it happens, in this case, your opinion differs from mine...

Hence, why I began my last most with "I tend to differ in opinion..."

Merely offering a reason why I disagreed..... no hidden agendas, snide comments etc etc.... It is, after all, why we call this place a forum.

:)
ConnO'var

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

No malice on my part either fella ,if anything you are one of the more intelligent posters ,whose respective views I always take the time to read ..
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:51 pm

sully0182 wrote:Legend!

Err not really if we're being honest .  :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Quality player Berger, before injuries took their toll on him.  Definitely was one of my favourite players ion his time with us.  Apart from his cracking left foot, he was a good all round midfield player with a good engine, good work ethic and actually was pretty good at winning the ball in midfield too.  Will never forget his debut - coming on to score twice and win the game.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:

He's more of a legend than Biscan anyway mate  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 pm

s@int wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:

He's more of a legend than Biscan anyway mate  :D

Steady on there lash . Igor was and is a legend in his own sleeping bag.  :;):
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 am

Benny The Noon wrote:John barnes was a world class left winger for us and i can guarentee 99.9% would take a john barnes at his height over a paddy berger at his height for liverpool . But lets see if you can give your reasons why berger without throwing an insult .

I'd take Barnes at his peak any time and every time. Berger wasn't even truly a winger, he was played there because there was no better option and he had a left foot - and it was a way of playing your best players

Barnes was immense, with him Beardsley, Staunton, McMahon, Hansen, Nicol, Whelan, Grobbelaar, Venison, Rush, Aldridge and Houghton, all relative bargains at that time (bar Rush when bought back from Juve) If only a) Kenny had stayed, b) Barnes hadn't gotten injured and c) Souness hadn't been dozy and sold off/forced out most of our best players and made us Rangers B side - if anyone wants to know how the old infirm would cope with the English top flight, there was one instance and arguably fergie did the same when signing scots in his early manc years. Signing scots/SPL players and second rate English (league) players who would probably have excelled in SPL like Hartson etc but not so much in England

Barnes scored 15 goals in his first season, most Berger ever scored in a season was 10 at Slavia Prague. He scored 22 goals in our last league title campaign, scoring four more than IAN RUSH. In 90/91 he scored 16 league goals, but then injuries took their toll and he became less influential as our dominance ended (not just coincidence). Berger had a more successful international career, less dogged by expectations and THAT wonder goal against Brazil. Barnes had THAT goal in him though, I doubt Berger could ever have done that and there's the difference.

I like the one irony with Barnes that mirrors irony the opposite way with Ronaldo. Houllier decided not to buy Ronaldo when he had the chance, fergie decided to buy Jesper Olsen instead of Barnes......................... Maybe on such decisions rest league titles, fergie might have won the league a lot sooner had he signed Barnes, we might have won the league had Houllier signed Ronaldo....................................

Just think, but for that crazy palace semi we could have won a second double under King Kenny, I wonder if he'd have quit had that happened.
Last edited by Owzat on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:34 am

Everyone goes on about Berger struggling with injuries but it wasn't until he did his knee against Leeds at home (when Viduka scored four) that he struggles the other 4 or so years he was ok, he left about 2 years after he started have knee problems.

Great Player in my opinion, pity we don't have the quality of Berger on the left these days :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge