Neil Mellor retires

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Sad news..

Preston North End striker Neil Mellor has retired from football due to a serious knee injury, aged 29.Mellor is seeking pioneering medical procedures to improve his quality of life, and has not given up hope of returning to playing."I've agreed to keep communication open with (manager) Graham Westley just in case I come across a miracle cure," he told the club website. "But realistically, and regrettably, this is the end of my playing days."He sustained up the injury against MK Dons in December 2011, and was initially set to miss three months.Westley, who took over from Phil Brown in January, said: "The team's record without Neil this season says everything about the man and character that he is."I am gutted that I didn't get the chance to work with him beyond his cameo against Bury."He has had a tough decision to make but he has no real choice in the matter. Everybody here will wish him the very best."Mellor came through the ranks at Liverpool and spent spells on loan at West Ham and Wigan before moving to Deepdale in 2006.He scored 63 goals in 193 appearances for the Lilywhites
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm

poor sod. he'll always be remembered for that goal against arsenal, but not much else...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 pm

andy_g » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm wrote:poor sod. he'll always be remembered for that goal against arsenal, but not much else...

yeah that and his cameo after coming on against olympiakos. scored the 2nd and set up gerrard with a lovely cushioned header for the winner.

all the best neil.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

:wwww  :laugh: ... I was thinking to myself who this Mellon fella is CHL!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Last time i start a thread with my phone...bloody predictive text!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Last time i start a thread with my phone...bloody predictive text!
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 11, 2012 4:12 pm

stmichael » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 pm wrote:
andy_g » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm wrote:poor sod. he'll always be remembered for that goal against arsenal, but not much else...

yeah that and his cameo after coming on against olympiakos. scored the 2nd and set up gerrard with a lovely cushioned header for the winner.

all the best neil.

'Mellor, lovely cushioned header, for GEEEERRRRAAAAARRRDDDD!!!'

and the rest is history

all the best to the lad, Arsenal goal and his contribution in our journey to Istanbul will always be remembered
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Have always felt for Mellor, our club let him down , great interview with him and Steve talking about his days at the club and was very opnen on his views on how he was delt with.
Steve and jamie have both helped him during a sticky time in his lfe, shame they had to do it and not the club.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 pm

What did the club do wrong now ?

He wasn't good enough so he was sold
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 am

Benny The Noon » Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 pm wrote:What did the club do wrong now ?

He wasn't good enough so he was sold

sorry mate but you should know this stuff lol

in 2005 he had knee operation on both knees, when he comeback we stuck him in the Liverpool reserves, neil told the club that he was starting to get pain, but at this time the club sent hom on loan when he should have been looked at, the club sent him on loan sayng it will get him fit and he needed to shift a few pounds and this will help his knees.
he lasted only few games at Wigan on loan when his body gave up., test shown that if he had been looked at when he had asked the problem would not have got this bad.
we only have neils word on this but he said "liverpool told me my problems were due to me being fat and it was down to me to sort that out"
the club say this never happend.
yet steve and jamie seem to back him up in this and have both said the club let neil down.

neil aslo says that the club asked him to play in pain before his knees gave in but was told by the club to deal with it as they needed a striker.

its hard to know the full truth but he is bitter at the club yet as he say he still loves the club and wishes he had been there at another time.

theres a lot more on this on other forums and the doc the bbc did on him a few years ago. the tale tends to change a bit every year so its always best to just look at what he said himself in the doc.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am

But wasn't Mellor always a bit chunky ? He always seemed a bit overweight so the club maybe right.

Sorry but I can't see much truth in there lakes
Benny The Noon

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:40 am

Benny The Noon » Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am wrote:But wasn't Mellor always a bit chunky ? He always seemed a bit overweight so the club maybe right.

as i say mate we can onlt hear what he says, in the bbc doc he is standing outside the gates of our club saying he was not treated right and two of our big names backing what he says.

but you are also right he was a big for he age......i am 40 this year and think i am his size now...all going south lol.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stew_the_red » Mon May 14, 2012 12:44 am

Benny The Noon » Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 pm wrote:But wasn't Mellor always a bit chunky ? He always seemed a bit overweight so the club maybe right.

PRICK!
stew_the_red

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 am

stew_the_red » Mon May 14, 2012 12:44 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 pm wrote:But wasn't Mellor always a bit chunky ? He always seemed a bit overweight so the club maybe right.

PRICK!

:laugh:

You sad sack of Sh*t
Benny The Noon

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge