Owen won't commit to new lfc contract - Scary to you?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed May 26, 2004 5:18 am

May 26, 2004

Michael Owen won't sign a new contract until he knows who will be the next manager of Liverpool.
The striker says he was left with a "sick feeling in his stomach" at the news of Gerard Houllier's departure after six years in charge of the club.

"The chairman is saying it may take a while to appoint a new manager so I will just sit tight," said Owen. "I can't put a percentage chance on me staying, but I'm not trying to strangle every last penny out of everyone."

Owen went on: "I am as loyal a person as anyone could wish to meet.

"Hopefully we can improve because we do need to, to make that step and be one of the best," added the England forward.

"I am intrigued to see who the manager is, but also the whole package.

"I would love to see improvement in the squad and I would love to see a good manager come in.

"Obviously the new stadium is being built, which is right for the club. It sounds like you are holding everyone to ransom but I am not. I just want to be playing in a top team."

ANXIOUS

Michael Owen insisted he will wait to find out the identity of the new Liverpool manager before making any final decision on whether to sign a new contract at Anfield.

Owen expressed his "sick feeling in the stomach" at the news that Gerard Houllier, the Frenchman who has coached him for the past six years, is leaving the club. He once again reassured the club that he has no intention of leaving on a free Bosman transfer at the end of his current contract next year, insisting that "something will be sorted in the summer".

However, despite his self-professed "loyalty" to Liverpool, Owen still needs to be reassured of the club's ambitions if he is to sign anything more than a one-year extension. What is now crucial is not only where Liverpool turn in appointing a successor to Gerard Houllier, but also in the investment which they plough into a squad which only took them to fourth place.

Valencia president Jaime Orti has issued a hands-off warning relating to one leading candidate, coach Rafael Benitez, who has just led the club to success in the Primera Liga and the UEFA Cup.

"Benitez has one more year left on his contract with Valencia and our intention is to extend our relationship with him even further," Orti told PA International. "He will coach Valencia next season."

Porto boss Jose Mourinho, who is also linked with Chelsea, Alan Curbishley and Gordon Strachan are nevertheless reported to be in the frame as well.

Owen, meanwhile, insists he will not seek to influence the board's decision, stressing that he had played no part in Houllier's effective dismissal. However, he revealed: "I am intrigued to see who the manager is, but also the whole package. I would love to see improvement in the squad and I would love to see a good manager come in.

"Obviously the new stadium is being built, which is right for the club. It sounds like you are holding everyone to ransom but I am not. I just want to be playing in a top team. We got to second in the league a few years ago. It obviously needs improvement because we were fourth this season and 30 points behind Arsenal.

"It's a massive gap. I do think the gap will close naturally but to close with us getting level, we need to improve. Who knows what changes the new manager will bring? The chairman is saying it may take a while to appoint a new manager so I will just sit tight. I can't put a percentage chance on me signing a new contract.

"But I am not trying to strangle every last penny out of everyone. I just want to play in the best team. I am as loyal a person as anyone could wish to meet. Hopefully we can improve because we do need to, to make that step and be one of the best."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby choopong » Wed May 26, 2004 5:30 am

LIVERPOOL SHARE PURCHASE

Academics warn govt of illegality

'Profit-driven action' flies in face of charter

Post reporters

The government has defied the constitution by spearheading efforts to establish a company and issue a mega lottery to mobilise public funds to buy a 30% stake in Liverpool Football Club, Thammasat University law academics say.

In an open letter, the academics led by law faculty dean Surapol Nitikraipoj, said the constitution does not permit the government to run any enterprise for profit and its bid for a stake in the English football club was in essence profit-driven.

The academics warned the government may be breaking the law by cutting corners to achieve its ends through ''questionable means''.

The letter said the constitutional leeway which allowed government to conduct business was meant to serve national security, preserve public interest, and allocate public utilities. Acquiring a stake in Liverpool Club did not satisfy any of these conditions.

Yet the government was going to great lengths playing host to fund-raising activities to buy club shares, which was illegal. The case in point is its plan to issue a special lottery draw with a grand prize of one billion baht. Each lottery ticket will be converted into shares amounting to 40% of a holding company's value.

The firm would be set up with the lottery funds to invest in Liverpool shares and it would be listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

The academics insisted the Liverpool lottery was not the kind of government undertaking the law permitted. The lottery was profit-oriented and not intended to benefit charities or public well-being.

The cabinet has appointed the Sports and Tourism Ministry to oversee the mobilisation of public funds to buy the Liverpool stake.

The academics dismissed as an excuse the government's claim that buying into the club would promote football skills among Thai youth.

The letter charged the government was twisting the principle in order to justify its own action.

The chorus of public disapproval has grown, as many began asking why Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra did not fork out his own money to secure the shares, which appeared to be his personal endeavour from the start.

The law lecturers said while they agreed with engaging people in sports, the cash the government tried to raise through lottery would be better spent building stadiums or sports colleges.

While demanding the lottery be cancelled, the academics warned that if the government went ahead it must bear the full extent of political and legal responsibility.

Prime Minister Thaksin yesterday said the deal had not been finalised and negotiations with Liverpool would take another five or six weeks.
choopong

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed May 26, 2004 9:34 am

I woke up this morning finding myself sweated having had a bad dream. That was one of not many dreams I don't expect it to come true.
The dream was: Owen decides to leave  :(  :(  :(
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 26, 2004 12:03 pm

I don't know if it's true but reports in Spain allege that both Juventus and Barcelona have both been knocked back in their attemps to sign the English national striker, writes Talk Soccer. 

With one year left on his current Anfield contract Owen has become a prime target for a number of europes biggest clubs. Barcelona and Juve are the only clubs to make a concrete bid for Owen but Real Madrid have made enquiries about his availibility as have both Inter Milan and Valencia.

Valencia the spanish champions havent got the finances to inolve themselvesin a bidding war but may offer playmaker Pablo Aimar as part of any proposed deal. Both Inter and Juve have been long term admirers of Owen and Real have kept their intrest known to both Liverpool and Owens Agent. With the future of Ronaldo uncertain and their finacial clout Real have become early favourites to land the England International. But if Chelsea fail to land Ronaldo from Real then it is certain that they will also show an intrest and will more than likely get him.

Liverpool would be reluctant to let Owen go for less than 25million, but with a year left on his contract they have not got the upper hand in any negotiations.

:(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 26, 2004 1:11 pm

Unfortunately i think he's now gone.

Houllier leaving was the final nail in the coffin.

I wouldn't be suprised if he's not here next season, he's another one i'll be sad to see the back of.
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Wed May 26, 2004 1:29 pm

Good riddance to any player who shows loyalty to the manager and not the club. LFC is bigger than any one player, manager or fan. It is misplaced loyalty, I'm sure he'll come to his senses
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zackboxer » Wed May 26, 2004 1:51 pm

I don't think Owen will be going because Houllier has left.
He seemed totally ****** off with the way the team were playing last season.

He's a world class player and the next 5 or 6 years should be his peak. No player of his quality wants to play in a team that isn't challenging for honours so you can't really blame him for wanting to see how things pan out over the next few months.
As long as the team is heading in the right direction then Owen and Gerard will stay.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed May 26, 2004 3:27 pm

To be honest there is only one man who knows Michael Owen's next move, and that is Michael Owen (if he even knows himself!)

I'm only speculating here but I have a feeling Owen will sign a year extension when he returns from the European Championships.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Wed May 26, 2004 6:20 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Unfortunately i think he's now gone.

Houllier leaving was the final nail in the coffin.

I wouldn't be suprised if he's not here next season, he's another one i'll be sad to see the back of.

I think the dismissal of Houllier and appointment of a new manager,who will take the club to a higher level,is the kind of news Owen and Gerrard wanted to hear before they could commit themselves to the club long term.If things had stayed the same Owen would of left in the summer,for sure,quickly followed by a disgruntled Steven Gerrard who wants to see 3 top class players joining the club over the summer.SG did not want to see another batch of young french potential Zidanes coming over to train with the reds before going back to Lens,Le Harve,blah , blah.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge