Josemi - Inept player?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:21 am

There is much discussion about garcia, kewell and alike about some of their performances, but i think our worst buy apart from Nunez, and the occassional Traore.

It is Josemi who is totally out of sorts with the team. Some of his clearances fail to go forward, in fact they go sideways at times, usually to a on-rushing opponent.

Finnan has done well, but when Josemi plays i cringe.

what are your thoughts folk??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:28 am

My thoughts exactly. I have not seen him in action when he was in Spain (he's a nobody?) though I am a big fan of the Primera Liga. I dunno why Rafa bought him for. I've seen others like reina, xabi, luis, and sissoko when they played for their old clubs.

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:13 am

Well, right backs like Josemi do not appear much in the highlights. He used to do reasonably well in Malaga. But La Rosaleda is not Anfield, this is just too much for him, I'm sorry for him, but that's the way I see things.

Not that Finnan is utter class neither, but it seems to me he's more confident.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:18 am

I posted recently about Riise talking over from Djimi at left back and the same has to be said about Joesmi.
Finnan needs to be in there at right back when ever he is fit at all times, if not opposing managers will target Josemi as a week spot and the top teams will tear him to shreads
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:24 am

I think Josemi is absolutely terrible. The only thing he has got going for him is the fact that he gets stuck in. That's it. Even then he tackles at the wrong time, in the wrong areas and with the incorrect level of intensity. It amazes me when Traore is constantly in everyone's sights as our worst player. Traore has pace. Traore can tackle. Traore is difficult for a winger to get past. Traore played in our most important Champions League games last season.
Traore is no Franz Beckenbauer for sure but jesus (just continuing the religious theme,) Josemi wouldn't get a game in most Championship sides. If David raven is not a better player, now, today than Josemi then we should offload him too. My feeling is that he is though, and we should offload Josemi to anybody who'll take on his contract.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 am

Sabre wrote:Not that Finnan is utter class neither, but it seems to me he's more confident.

Sabre

Sabre I do enjoy your posts mate, but on this issue you are way off the mark, Steve Finnan is one the best right backs in the prem, he is our most under rated player, no frills no fuss just does the job thats expected from him, Josemi doesnt even come close to the great Steve Finnan he is one of Houlliers better buys.

When Finnan has been injured I think we miss him more than people recognise, he does a better job than Carra done when he was right back. And I wouldnt have anyone else in his place.  I wouldnt be to upset if Josemi left in January and we get someone like Luke Moore, even though he has alot to learn he is one for the future.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 am

Fair enough ma'am, to be honest I've not seen Finnan the amount of games I need to rate someone right (more than 30) but now I can watch liverpool through P2Ptv, I will have the pleasure of watching and commenting that you are right. :;):

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:51 am

Steve Finnan is a very good full back.

Lets look at Josemi: good ability on the ball, can pass it short, likes to get up the lines, has a decent touch, is tough and fearless, is strong in the tackle and is reasonably good in the air.

Wow, if I just finished my assessment there, Josemi would be some player!

However, there is more.

Josemi is too rash in the tackle, has a penchant for conceding silly free kicks, has a bad habit of tugging players' shirts under the eye of the referee, has failed to master English and so has poor communication with his team mates........................mmmm, after that, it doesn't appear all too rosy.

However, there's even more.

Josemi has some of the worst decision making I've ever seen from a senior player. Gets marooned in midfield when he tries to tackle an opposition player when nothing is really happening, allowing the opposition to break down the space behind him if he misses the tackle. He has an awful tendency to ball watch, and his timing is atrocious. A long ball down his end of the field will see Josemi in 4 or 5 minds about what to do: in one single phase of play he can wait, move to attack the ball and then decide to track back, all while the ball is still in flight. How many times has an opposition left sided player got in behind him from a simple ball over the top? Josemi's reading of the game is absolutely disasterous.

Its a pity, as I think Josemi has all the physical characteristics to be a very good full back. He definitely has ability on the ball, his failings are mostly mental failings. I suspect that in Spain his dreadful decision making and awful inability to read games were not as exposed as much, so Josemi may have appeared a reasonable player. Maybe that is why Rafa bought him. However, in England his weaknesses have been cruelly exposed.

I'll put my money on Josemi being back in La Liga next summer. I can see Rafa using Raven and Barragan more in the future, although I suspect that Rafa will sign a new full back sometime over the next 10 months or so.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:48 am

finnan is one of the most underrated players in the premiership. it seems inconceiveable now that about 18 months ago we were on the verge of selling him to spurs. thank god we didn't is all i can say.

as for josemi, he wouldn't get in my local pub team.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:51 am

Sabre wrote:Fair enough ma'am, to be honest I've not seen Finnan the amount of games I need to rate someone right (more than 30) but now I can watch liverpool through P2Ptv, I will have the pleasure of watching and commenting that you are right. :;):

Sabre

Sabre,

How about growing some hair on those balls.

Kazza

:laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:54 am

kazza wrote:
Sabre wrote:Fair enough ma'am, to be honest I've not seen Finnan the amount of games I need to rate someone right (more than 30) but now I can watch liverpool through P2Ptv, I will have the pleasure of watching and commenting that you are right. :;):

Sabre

Sabre,

How about growing some hair on those balls.

Kazza

:laugh:

be careful sabre, when you do grow that hair, she'll want to suck em and see  :D

on a serious note, josemi is a bit of a lame horse
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am

I agree with everything JBG had to say, and would add, for a right back he has absoulutley no pace at all, any winger who is faster than John Barnes curently is finds it far too easy to get it past him.

Finnan is deffo the man for the job!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:57 am

first kewell, then garcia and now josemi.

blimey judge who's next on the hitlist? my money's on traore. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:36 pm

Incidentally, Goal.com do a "Team of the Week" for each of the top leagues.

Guess who was named as left sided centre back for the Spanish La Liga Team of the Week?

Thats right, it was Pellegrino, now playing for Alaves.

What gives? :O
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:37 pm

JBG wrote:Incidentally, Goal.com do a "Team of the Week" for each of the top leagues.

Guess who was named as left sided centre back for the Spanish La Liga Team of the Week?

Thats right, it was Pellegrino, now playing for Alaves.

What gives? :O

no way jbg  :D

cheers stmike  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge