Josemi - Inept player?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 pm

pellegrino should have stayed on at liverpool as a coach

driver  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:47 pm

I was a big fan of Josemi when he first joined, but I have to be honest that he is dodgy :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:52 pm

Mind you, Pellegrino is regarded as a good centre back in Spain, people were quite surprised he did so awfully in Anfield :)

SAbre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:07 pm

sabre, why do you sign your posts, we can see youve posted it
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:29 pm

Josemi started pretty well last season and i thought he looked like he would fit in with his style of tackiling.
Since then he has gone so far backwards he should never be even close to pulling on a first team shirt again.
Like a few others have said his decision making is shocking, his tackling OTT and in stupid areas.
He has no pace which gets constantly exposed and for a full back although he tries to go forward, he never looks like he actually helps cause a threat.
I had no time for Nunez and constantly argued with the lads about his being not good enough, the same goes for Josemi.
The sooner he is back in Spain the better.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Josemi started pretty well last season and i thought he looked like he would fit in with his style of tackiling.
Since then he has gone so far backwards he should never be even close to pulling on a first team shirt again.
Like a few others have said his decision making is shocking, his tackling OTT and in stupid areas.
He has no pace which gets constantly exposed and for a full back although he tries to go forward, he never looks like he actually helps cause a threat.
I had no time for Nunez and constantly argued with the lads about his being not good enough, the same goes for Josemi.
The sooner he is back in Spain the better.

thats why he is a right back.............right back in the changing rooms  :D  droll i know
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 pm

Judge wrote:There is much discussion about garcia, kewell and alike about some of their performances, but i think our worst buy apart from Nunez, and the occassional Traore.

It is Josemi who is totally out of sorts with the team. Some of his clearances fail to go forward, in fact they go sideways at times, usually to a on-rushing opponent.

Finnan has done well, but when Josemi plays i cringe.

what are your thoughts folk??

I've said it before, Josemi is rafas Abel Xavier. Cheap mediocre cover...nothing more nothing less.
Homebooby

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:12 pm

I think he's marginally better as a CB, but he isn't anywhere near the standard LFC and it's fans deserve.
The one thing you cannot question, however, is his commitment. Top drawer attitude, middle drawer ability, bottom drawer decisions.
Not a good mix.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:53 pm

JBG wrote:Steve Finnan is a very good full back.

Lets look at Josemi: good ability on the ball, can pass it short, likes to get up the lines, has a decent touch, is tough and fearless, is strong in the tackle and is reasonably good in the air.

Wow, if I just finished my assessment there, Josemi would be some player!

However, there is more.

Josemi is too rash in the tackle, has a penchant for conceding silly free kicks, has a bad habit of tugging players' shirts under the eye of the referee, has failed to master English and so has poor communication with his team mates........................mmmm, after that, it doesn't appear all too rosy.

However, there's even more.

Josemi has some of the worst decision making I've ever seen from a senior player. Gets marooned in midfield when he tries to tackle an opposition player when nothing is really happening, allowing the opposition to break down the space behind him if he misses the tackle. He has an awful tendency to ball watch, and his timing is atrocious. A long ball down his end of the field will see Josemi in 4 or 5 minds about what to do: in one single phase of play he can wait, move to attack the ball and then decide to track back, all while the ball is still in flight. How many times has an opposition left sided player got in behind him from a simple ball over the top? Josemi's reading of the game is absolutely disasterous.

Its a pity, as I think Josemi has all the physical characteristics to be a very good full back. He definitely has ability on the ball, his failings are mostly mental failings. I suspect that in Spain his dreadful decision making and awful inability to read games were not as exposed as much, so Josemi may have appeared a reasonable player. Maybe that is why Rafa bought him. However, in England his weaknesses have been cruelly exposed.

I'll put my money on Josemi being back in La Liga next summer. I can see Rafa using Raven and Barragan more in the future, although I suspect that Rafa will sign a new full back sometime over the next 10 months or so.

I agree with that assesment, and Barragan will break into the senior team sooner than any of the other youngsters we've brought in.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 am

sell josemi
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Judge wrote:sell josemi

I'll second that motion....

All in favour??

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PepeMomo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:43 pm

isn't a la liga team tracking Josemi? Let him go in January!!!
PepeMomo

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 am

PepeMomo wrote:

isn't a la liga team tracking Josemi? Let him go in January!!!

if it was Osasuna, then they'll be plumetting from top spot to mid table mediocrity  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:15 am

agree with JBG. But he may improve under Benitez and he is only 24?Anyway, Finnan should always be 1st choice, a very smart player!
whylongball?

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 am

yes, finnan has impressed me very much, with his good touch and at times excellent passing skills. He reads the game very well. I think he is a more accomplised player now, than when he was at Fulham. Injury doesnt seem to phase Finnan, he just slips straight back into it, perhasps some others should take a leaf outta the finnan handbook!!
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge