Harry kewell - I know its early.....wait no its not!

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby weringo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:13 am

Torres 2007 wrote:end your evidence is.....................................

I recall, harry produced "excellent" performance in his 1st season under Gerrard Houllier in about 4 games.

Then he disapeared.

Not seen him since.

You clearly don't watch Liverpool too often then.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:17 am

Kewell can make one hell of a difference if he can stay fit (one hell of an if).

He's looking a lot sharper now in my view.

He is our only real conventional left-sided winger, and a completely different option to our other left sided alternatives. That bit of craft has been missing.

If he can stay fit, I think he could be instrumental this season.
LFC2007

Postby Rafa D » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:04 am

A few points to consider:

1) There is no way Harry Kewell will be offered a new deal that matches his old deal this year.

2) A lot of other clubs - West Ham, Newcastle, Spurs will.

3) His annoying little bint has often been in the chat mags saying how Harry wants to play in Spain or Italy before the end of his career.

4) If he stays fit, he'll play left wing most of the year.

Whatever happens, he has gone in July.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:20 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:A few points to consider:

1) There is no way Harry Kewell will be offered a new deal that matches his old deal this year.

2) A lot of other clubs - West Ham, Newcastle, Spurs will.

3) His annoying little bint has often been in the chat mags saying how Harry wants to play in Spain or Italy before the end of his career.

4) If he stays fit, he'll play left wing most of the year.

Whatever happens, he has gone in July.

I know like me you think a lot of Kewell mate , but I think Rafa rates him even higher than we do. He is a Rafa type player, versatile, doesn't give the ball away, and has that little bit extra that can turn a match. All this and he work quite hard as well.

I think if he stays fit he will be offered a new contract, mainly because to replace him would probably cost 4 times what keeping him will.

I just hope Kewell doesn't get his head turned by some of the offers he receives from other clubs.
account deleted by request

Postby StevieL » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:09 am

One thing kewell adds to the squad is a winger, who always considers beating the player first, before crossing/passing. Whereas i've seen our temporary left wingers lacking the ability to beat that one player, before passing/crossing. Crossing on the "buy line" is a lot better then crossing further out.

A fit kewell would solve all our left wing problems. Extension of contract?! if liverpool give him another chance, i think he'll take it, even if there is a paycut, or "pay as you play" contract.

P.S- did notice the play kewell produced for the vital 2nd goal in the Champs League game?! Beat the player on the sideline, with very little space, then i know he got a bit lucky with the dribbling later on, and the pass very fortunate for torres, but do you think anyone else in LFC could/would of produced that?! i know for one riise wouldnt of.
StevieL

Postby mart » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:33 pm

He is quality if he stays fit. But thats a big if. If he accepts a paycut and a contract more oriented to "pay as you play" i'd say sign him up. It will take a lot of money to sign a winger of the same quality, but hopefully we can do that as well.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Kewell in line for new contract
By Tom Smithies
December 03, 2007 IN a remarkable statement of faith, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has backed Australia star Harry Kewell to continue his career at Liverpool, despite the injury-ravaged forward's contract expiring at the end of this season.

Amid widespread expectation that Kewell would struggle to justify a new Anfield deal as he continues yet another comeback from injury, Benitez moved to back the Sydney-born forward, who would be free to discuss a deal with a new club outside the UK from January 1.

In comments that suggest Kewell has every prospect of earning a new contract if he stays fit, the Liverpool manager said: "He wants to stay in England and I believe he wants to remain here.

"I have been really impressed with his work in training and he has done well in the bits of games he has played.

"He is nearly ready for a full 90 minutes and I think his future will be at this club."

Kewell himself has asked Benitez that any discussions about a new deal should wait until he is starting regularly for Liverpool, as the coach has sought to reintroduce him to the team gently with a series of cameos off the bench.

In the Champions League in midweek, Kewell played almost half an hour and set up Liverpool's second goal for Fernando Torres in the 4-1 thumping of Porto.
account deleted by request

Postby Red H » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Hmm Kewell is a quandry.
It's not like we can put him in the shop window.
I think as are only genuine wide left player, which means, on form, he's invaluble.... untill someone better comes along, which will happen sooner or later.
Red H

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:37 am

I think they key this time is that he has had a better and more thorough rehabilitation; in previous comebacks he has been rushed back in and quickly got injured. (obviously he has done this himself whilst playing for Australia also).

I am an admirer and always will be; it is a shame we have never seen him at his very best but he has many years left in him and if you ask the questions; do we have better in the squad? or what is there out there that will improve us? the answers should lead you into wanting to keep him.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:57 pm

He's obviously still trying to find his fitness but his retention and use of the ball is brilliant and he always makes a difference to our possession play.

I'd give him a rolling 12 month deal on a basic of, say, £1m a season, but rising to slightly more than he's on now (so he doesn't feel insulted) if he's fit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Foximus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:49 am

i say we sign him up immediately, his best football is just around the corner and to let him go after waiting so long for him to get fit is just crazy.  He hasnt been at his best since returning but all the signs are there and what do you expect after spending so much time on the sidelines.  He is a quality player and someone we really need in the next few seasons.
Foximus

Postby Seano Kop » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:04 am

Well I'm an AUssie and I've seen a lot of Harry Kewell over the years, Internationally, Liverpool, Leeds, whatever. I know how great this guy is when hes only 60% fit. Right now he's probably 80% fit. So despite the fact hes been playing some rpetty decent football lately, I know he can do a lot better. In Australia, he's known as 'King Harry', and people have signs saying 'Prince Harry, bow down to the King' etc. That shows how highly he's regarded.
Especially with other players such as Viduka, Cahill, Schwarzer and Neill of the current generation, which are the best Australian Football has ever seen, and he's still regarded as our King.

I think it sounds like i've been rambling on a bit, but the point is, Kewell is a great player, not afraid to take players on, and take shots on goal. That's what you need from a winger. Not to mention he can whip i a decent cross as well.
Seano Kop

Postby skatesy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:11 am

There is nobody in the Liverpool squad who can play in the LM position better than Harry Kewell. And, that is definitely not to say that Harry is in that position because we have nobody else because he definitely is good in that position. It seems that there are always more players out there who are adapt to playing in the RM position so it is harder to pick up good LM players, however I think Kewell is pretty damn good and I am happy to hold on to him. Every game that he has played since his return from injury he has shown his ability and potential. He is always creating chances and providing a lot of movement up the left side of the field. He is always looking dangerous, he does not give the ball away stupidly (cough...Riise...cough) and he gets his share of scoring opportunities.

When I watch Kewell I, as a fan watching on the television, have confidence that he is going to do something worthwhile.
skatesy

Postby Spinner » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:37 am

Yo Guys,

First ever Liverpool post here! I'm from Australia (In which the major sport is 'Aussie Rules') but I have been following the EPL during our off season this year due to the fantastic coverage offered by Foxtel.

I pretty much started barracking for Liverpool a few years back because of Harry Kewell, as well as the fact that I liked Liverpool's 'song'.

I assume most on here would be well and truly trenched within England and its soccer (yes thats what we call it over here) passion so you would be much better skilled at answering the following question, more so than anyone I know personally.

Will Harry Kewell be playing for Liverpool next season?

-What does he have to do to remain?
-I heard he was playing reserves. If so, how is he fairing?
-Is he over his injury concerns?
-Is he well liked/rated by English football fans?

Cheers,

Spinner
Spinner

Postby Thingy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:06 am

Well mate alot of people are of the belief he will be off in the summer. He played for the reserves against Man united and got himself a goal, decent finish too. Hes a sicknote , hasnt been fit for a decent period of time for ages. He was highly rated at Leeds, dubbed " the new Giggs " by some.

Hope that helps :)
Thingy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge