Harry kewell - I know its early.....wait no its not!

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I just don't like him. I feel that he has no hunger for success and is content with how his career has developed.

Get rid of him.

I really rate him.  I feel that he's been unlucky with injuries and that he's desperate to stay fit and repay the faith that Rafa and the supporters have shown in him.

Let's keep him.

:D

Then why has he played as many games for Australia as he has for LFC over last few years. He seems a bit of a Michael Owen to me, passing time at his club to play for his country.

Everyone's a cynic!  :down:

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:55 pm

I think if he can stay fit, he's got a hell of a lot in his locker to offer us.  He's skilful, good in the air, offers width all the time, is always a good outlet, a good crosser, scores the odd goal but for me most importantly, he's always looking to run at defenders, always positive, always attacking.

Every time I saw him in the 05/06 campaign I was impressed.  And from his brief cameos this year he's looking increasingly sharp and he appears to be one of only a couple of players we have who is prepared to throw off the shackles once in a while and actually ATTACK the other team's defenders instead of playing in structured, pragmatic style where players can't express themselves.  They all look shit scared to make a mistake or attempt something that's not in their 'job-role' sometimes. 

Harry gets the ball and attacks.  I say keep him.
jonnymac1979

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:01 pm

For the good of his career, he really, really, really should seriously consider retiring from international football. How many of his catalogue of injuries have originated while he's been on duty with Australia?
ivor_the_injun

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:11 pm

He's such a good player when available (seriously he's one of the best players we've got IMHO when he feels like it/is fit) that (and I can't believe I'm saying this) it might be worth looking at a pay as you play contract. Whether our medical people think it's feasable and whether he'll sign such a piece of paper remains to be seen. I would have thought somebody will offer him a contract without such restrictions and I would be extremely wary of going down that route again.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:For the good of his career, he really, really, really should seriously consider retiring from international football. How many of his catalogue of injuries have originated while he's been on duty with Australia?

IMHO if you are prone to injuries mate, or just bad luck, it will happen sooner or later, here or there. I respect his will to defend his country.

Kewell is a player I like, but I'm not a fan of him. I reckon he has a great skill, he has everything to be a quality player. I just don't like some of his decissions, when available, he chosed to face the defender more times than necessary, sometimes an extra dribling must not be done for the sake of doing most damage. I feel he always had the charge of being the most important player in his country and somehow he felt that he has to be decissive in every play.

Maybe this is nitpicking, and unfair, I simply think he is a quality player, but he could have been a lot better if he had learned a couple of things when he was younger.

Apart from this decissions, which, are just my taste and are just a feeling, I repeat he's quality and definitely he will be VERY USEFUL if not key for us this season, if fit.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Sabre wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:For the good of his career, he really, really, really should seriously consider retiring from international football. How many of his catalogue of injuries have originated while he's been on duty with Australia?

IMHO if you are prone to injuries mate, or just bad luck, it will happen sooner or later, here or there. I respect his will to defend his country.

Kewell is a player I like, but I'm not a fan of him. I reckon he has a great skill, he has everything to be a quality player. I just don't like some of his decissions, when available, he chosed to face the defender more times than necessary, sometimes an extra dribling must not be done for the sake of doing most damage. I feel he always had the charge of being the most important player in his country and somehow he felt that he has to be decissive in every play.

Maybe this is nitpicking, and unfair, I simply think he is a quality player, but he could have been a lot better if he had learned a couple of things when he was younger.

Apart from this decissions, which, are just my taste and are just a feeling, I repeat he's quality and definitely he will be VERY USEFUL if not key for us this season, if fit.

Do you not think the reason he sometimes "takes on the extra defender" is because he wont just throw it in the box when there is no one there, unlike Pennant who beats his man, hits his cross and thinks job done.

I have watched and admired Kewell for a long time so I admit I am biased, but for me, he is a player that plays with his head up, sees whats on and if nothing is on will hold the ball until support arrives. He has great vision for a winger and some of his passes are top drawer.

He is also a lot better in the air than we have seen yet at Liverpool, this allied to his shooting ability should see him scoring double figure returns once he is fully fit. Which for a winger is more than good enough.

My only concerns about him are his fitness, attitude and whether he has lost that little bit of acceleration that enabled him to get away from defenders.

If he is really fit and remains fit, I think he could be the difference between a title challenge and a title winning season.

Maybe the Kewell I remember has gone forever, but just maybe there is still enough left to give us a season to remember.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:47 pm

s@int wrote:He is also a lot better in the air than we have seen yet at Liverpool,

If he is really fit and remains fit, I think he could be the difference between a title challenge and a title winning season.

You're right about his heading ability Saint, had Kuyt finished better we'd have been two points better off after the Blackburn game as a direct result of Kewells spring.

As for the title challenge/title winning season thing, I reckon he might be the difference between challenge/non challenge, but I reckon our chances of winning the thing have gone, for this season at least.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 am

bigmick wrote:As for the title challenge/title winning season thing, I reckon he might be the difference between challenge/non challenge, but I reckon our chances of winning the thing have gone, for this season at least.

Bloody hell i dont wanna hear talk like that in november! especially with us only 6 points behind!

Keep the faith people, the dreaming is part of football isn't it? I can see us lifting that cup now!  :buttrock
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby cpc4eva » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:17 am

GOAT wrote:
bigmick wrote:As for the title challenge/title winning season thing, I reckon he might be the difference between challenge/non challenge, but I reckon our chances of winning the thing have gone, for this season at least.

Bloody hell i dont wanna hear talk like that in november! especially with us only 6 points behind!

Keep the faith people, the dreaming is part of football isn't it? I can see us lifting that cup now!  :buttrock

HERE here

make us dream

make us dream liverpool

:hearts  :buttrock  :D
cpc4eva

Postby muzodziwa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 am

well, sabre mate i think i have generally agreed with your posts but IMO Kewel is a gifted left winger. Yes question his fitness, commitment, attitude but Harry is a winger that Fergie, Wenger would want in their team. I think we have a season on our hands with a fit Kewel and a Babel offering a tactical alternative; I have never and will never reckon Riise as a winger its just not only defensive it is retrogressive.
muzodziwa

Postby mungi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:55 am

i read somewhere i think its was 442 that they rated giggs as the epl's best left winger ever and next best was kewell. thoughts?
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 am

Kewell's style of football is really identical to Vicente's.  Maybe that's why Rafa rates him so much.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:10 am

Question is whether he will be retained or if Rafa will try to sell him in January for a fee or if he simply uses him, sees how it goes and then looks at a contract rekewell newal
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mungi » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:31 am

depends if rafa can get any1 in Jan. if he doesnt get any1 kewell might be staying.
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 am

While it is I suppose admirable that Kewell still wants to represent his country, I would have preferred him to give a message of intent by retiring from international football to concentrate on securing a place at Liverpool. I certainly think it will send the wrong message to Rafa if he continues to put country first.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge