Harry kewell - Will he be axed?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:08 pm

There hasn't been a thread on Harry for a while and I think its appropriate now that some minor speculation emerged over the weekend that he will be sold in the next transfer window.

What do people think?

For me, three years ago or so (before Leeds started to collapse) Kewell was one of the best left sided players in Europe. He then lost confidence in David O' Leary and his form dipped, and it didn't really improve under Venables or Reid.

Last season he made an ok impression at the club, scoring some goals, but injury and rotation all over the flanks and frontline meant that we never saw his best form.

His position is now under serious threat at Liverpool as Benitez has bought two wide players in Nunez and Garcia, Warnock looks like he could challenge and Darren Potter has been pushed closer to the first team squad. There's even Ritchie Partridge lingering in the wings and the eventual return of Smicer.

Two years ago we had a dearth of wide players, now the club has an abundance of them.

As I said, I personally rate Harry very highly and he is one of my favourite players, but oddly my interest in him dates back to his old Leeds form, and not anything I have seen in the past 2 or 3 years.

Will we ever see Harry back to his best, or has complacency set in like it has with his Aussie team mate Mark Viduka, or is it the case, as his national team coach Frank Farina claims, that Harry's ankle injury is so bad that we may never see the best of Harry again?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:16 pm

Think your right JB he was very bright at the beginning of last season popping in the odd goal for us but when he got injured he didnt bounce back at all I know hes just been to US for that ankle injury but maybe hes scared of running at defenders incase this injury effects him again either way we cant have someone like that in our team scared of gettin injured and he looks that way to me ???

Plus he is a dish had to throw that in :;):
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:33 pm

Yes, thats very important too.  :D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:58 pm

I won't judge Kewell until he truly shows what he can do this season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby madred » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:52 pm

The sunday express ran a story saying that Harry could be on his way out as Benitez will opt for Garcia and Warnock to compete for the left side.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:05 pm

That wouldn't be too bad, I think Warnock is a great young player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby madred » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:13 pm

Probably Benitez doesnt want a player who is carrying a injury and out of form on a huge wage and wants to get shut.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:27 pm

That is probably true.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:21 am

I hope my fellow countryman can regain his form not for just Liverpool sakes as he is class but also means we normally get more Liverpool action on the news down under :D
Though at moment he is looking just a shadow of player from 2 or 3 seasons ago.
As for his ankle injury well Harry himself said in a Aug 7 th interview he was fit and raring to go and even said he would play for Australia anywhere anytime
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redflag123 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:19 pm

I so want kewell to do well he can be a great player,but he always looks so fatigued every time he is on the pitch is body language is not right almost like he isn't happy at the club,i was hoping this season he would set the world on fire but there is no evidence of that yet early days i know,but a new boss and a new broom a spanish broom at that is the last thing a under performing player needs at the moment.im afraid he is going to have play like a star to survive the cull.
redflag123

Postby supersub » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:25 pm

The next few months will determine whether Kewell has a future at Anfield,because anything but an improvement could see Harry's departure in the January sales.I certainly hope HK can find the form he is capable of.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:51 am

Just a muse here so spare me the flames
Isnt ironic when a well performing star decides to move to another club alot of fans scream and rant about no loyalty.
In this case Harry reputedly turned down bigger offers to come the Pool, started off brightly enough but has faded though still knocked in 11 goals in a under performing team during a disappointing season.
Now the new season has only just started and already on this  forums and others somes fans shouting for him to be sold off asap.
I wonder whether the players wonder about the loyalty factor themselves
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:27 am

I'll reserve judgment till january. I have his name on my shirt but as yet has done nothing. I was hopeing that this season would be a good one for him.... I just hope it is for Liverpool FC and his own career!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 am

Kewell On His Way Out?
9/6/2004 8:21:00 PM
Following a poor season by his standards, Liverpool's Harry Kewell was expected to get back on track this season to help the Reds in the top positions of the Premiership.
However, latest speculation seems to indicate that the Australian midfielder might be on his way out of Anfield Road.

In fact, Kewell does not seem to feature in Rafa Benitez's plans and for the talented player there already seems to be many Premiership clubs ready to take him on board.

so maybe it isnt just a rumour ???  if he aint in benitez's plans  :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:44 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Kewell On His Way Out?
9/6/2004 8:21:00 PM
Following a poor season by his standards, Liverpool's Harry Kewell was expected to get back on track this season to help the Reds in the top positions of the Premiership.
However, latest speculation seems to indicate that the Australian midfielder might be on his way out of Anfield Road.

In fact, Kewell does not seem to feature in Rafa Benitez's plans and for the talented player there already seems to be many Premiership clubs ready to take him on board.

so maybe it isnt just a rumour ???  if he aint in benitez's plans  :(

Where was that from gorgeous? :)  :)
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge